The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: The Black Goat of the Woods, mother of nightmares (Faction Paint Up) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Black Goat of the Woods

I learned a lot with this faction. Not only with painting, but with sculpting too.

The units, aside from the Mi-Go, are very animalistic. Shub herself is a perverted form of an earthly creature. I wanted this to guide my paint scheme of blacks, browns, and of course red. The general pattern is light bottom to black upper features.

I broke down and went with very strong faction color on the bases. Currently, I have a few factions that, although unique in color scheme, do not provide much contrast on the game board. A few people wondered if this caused issue during play. I personally have no problem, but I realized when I start painting neutrals any colors I please, things are going to get confusing quick. So going forward I will use strong faction color on bases the help recognize board presence at a glance, and i will retroactively paint stronger colors on previous bases.

Cultists
For how quickly I put these together, they turned out pretty good! Probably the best color scheme of any I have done so far. I went with African skin tones which fit the color scheme and the starting location perfectly. I wanted the front layers to look like they were skin, but I didn't want to take the time to really *flesh* it out.

Ghouls
Pretty basic paint up here, so i tried to really push my limits with scale. It was the first time I had to go to 4x magnification to paint something!

I wanted the back to look like it had been flayed open, possibly self inflicted. Here they are freaking out their comrades. Paining their own team out of the area...

Fungi from Yuggoth
As a technologically advanced, spare faring race with great surgical prowess, they stood out a bit in theme from the beast like monsters they have found themselves allied with somehow. To emphasize their technological lore, I added various augmentations to their exoskeleton in the form of metallic conduits and green lights.

The Dark Young

This is one of those figs I never truly appreciated until I painted it up. Fantastic sculpt!

I wanted the legs to look like shattered bone was protruding from fleshy legs that had form, but were constantly rearranging.

I wanted to make the tentacles a bit more interesting. I had this sudden idea to make the bumps an interior anatomy of the creatures. I painstakingly painted ripped flesh around each group of bumps on the sculpt. A few of the bumpy areas were completely painted on, with no actual bumps on the sculpture in that area. In the end, the tentacles look a little too busy, but the effect is really cool!

The figure in these pics was another attempt at taking my time and trying to achieve a new level of technical quality. The other two were done substantially faster, one of them even has very similar quality. It was a great exercise in time vs. aesthetic. The figure in these pics took about 10 hours!!! The others were substantially less at around 6 I think.

Shub Niggurath!!!

This sculpt stood out to me as a less inspired concept than the other Goos. I also thought she could use more board presence. So using my budding sculpting skillz I set out to make her the *breast* she can be, and I think I did *egg-sac-tly* that.

Before sculpting, I separated the figure at the waist. I then raised the upper half off of the rock like she is rearing up. Hopefully, this will also make her stand out of the Dark Young crowd a bit more.

What is a mother of monsters without monstrous mammaries? This was a TON of fun to sculp he he he. Note I added some nurgles rot coming out of some of the teets.

I wanted this to look PAINFUL. My wife agrees, it makes her hurt in ways that only mothers know. The possessed form of Shub Niggurath is being TORN APART by an impossible flood of eggs from beyond our dimension.

The yelloe fungus on her 'face' is a hatchery of sorts for the Mi-Go.

Thanks for looking!

Links to my other faction paint ups:
Black Goat
Crawling Chaos
Opener of the Way
Sleeper
Wind Walker
Yellow Sign (+Novella)

Neutral GOOs
Chaugnar Faugn
Yig, Father of Serpents

New to Neutrals or have some strategies to share with the community? Check out this community lead strategy guide:
Neutral Strategy Guide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amazing work on shub niggurath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sickeningly good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work on those tentacles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damn Sly you own the best copy of this game anywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see you back to painting again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Chase, I do accept gifts ! Thank you very much !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is some beautiful work! I've recently started working on Cthulhu Wars again so I'll be keeping an eye out for more of your posts. =) Really awesome stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.