lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I would like to present you with a board game my friends and I have been spending a lot of time on: Dig it Out!

I am sorry if my English is not perfect, please feel free to correct my mistakes! I am going to add the manual and some pictures asap, our illustrator is working on it right now. The theme is very atypical for a board game but we wanted to do a board game with a strong territorial character what do you think about it?
I have to be sincere, I wasn't sure about how people would react to a board game about truffles but we had it playtested at few conventions and people loved it! So feel free to tell me your opinions, I would like to know if you find it interesting

Category: Family game
Author: Stefano Olivi (THM Games)
Designer: Stefano Olivi, Lucia Radici and Mattia Tontini
Players: 2-4
Playing time: 50 minutes

INTRODUCTION
Italy, Marche, Acqualagna. Immersed between the high peaks of Apennine mountains and gentle rivers, Acqualagna, a small and rural village in the centre of Italy is blessed by balmy seasons. This environment provides all the necessary for one of the most precious son of the forest to grow: the truffle.
And there you are, walking on the mountains in the early mornings, the sun to strengthen you, the nature to keep you calm and your animal companion to drive you. You’ve known it since it was born, cute and loyal and with a handy taste of smell… Suddenly, its tail starts to wag, a sharp look at your direction and one second after its nose is guiding him through the woods. You follow it, encouraging out loud: “Go good boy, go!” until it finally stops and starts to dig! “What did you find good boy?” using your shovel you help dig it out: A truffle! “One kibble for you my good chap and a truffle for me!”

GAME OVERVIEW
In “Dig it Out: the truffle board game” players impersonate truffle hunters that, together with their loyal animals, sniff and dig our precious truffles to sell them at the village for the best offer.
Players control an animal among: Ermenegildo (an Italian Griffon), Cirilla (a funny Dachshund), BraccoUbaldo (a young Bracco Pointer) and Carlotta (a hog).
The board represents Acqualagna’s square (the Capital of the truffle, a little village in the middle of Italy), surrounded by three mountains represented by layers of hexagonal tiles one on top of the others. The hidden face of each hexagon can show a truffle (white or black and of different sizes), a mouse, an event or a snake.

At the start of each turn, players receive a number of kibbles as written on the initiative card. These represent actions that animals can do: move from one hexagon to another, sniff that is secretly examine one of the adjacent hexagons or dig that is take one tile and put it on the character sheet. But take care! The work of the truffle hunters is troubled by a wild boar that can scare the animals and eat their truffles!

The game is played through 3 seasons. Every season has specific rules regarding protected mountains and legal truffles. Forest rangers monitor the player’s behavior. They are activated by a roll dice and controlled by the active player.
At any point during the game, a player can decide to move to the little square and sell his truffles for Victory Points. At the end of the three seasons, the player with the most Victory Points is elected “Truffle hunter of the year”.

First prototype board

Particular of the hexagonal tiles, those are made of wood but we are working on more standard 4 mm cardboard tiles.

Second prototype, homemade board (thanks gameyy for your precious walkthrough!)

A sip of what the illustrations will look like..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why you don't create its entry in the database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:

The artist is working on the cover illustration right now.. I wanted to have a nice pic before creating an entry in the database

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
kiramortis wrote:
BlackSheeper wrote:

The artist is working on the cover illustration right now.. I wanted to have a nice pic before creating an entry in the database

It is a snake eating its tail. If you don't have a game entry in the database you can't up-load images related to it, so you have to create the game entry first, then you up-load its images. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:
kiramortis wrote:
BlackSheeper wrote:

It is a snake eating its tail. If you don't have a game entry in the database you can't up-load images related to it, so you have to create the game entry first, then you up-load its images. ninja

Ohhh.. i got it now..

I'll work on it asap, thank you very much for your help Paolo

What do you think about the game so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiramortis wrote:

That all around Italy, as soon as they read this:
Quote:
Acqualagna’s square (the Capital of the truffle
A lot of people will start saying that you don't know where is the Capital of the truffle.

Besides this, if you want to sell it, you must do it straight in English and, since it is an EuroGame, even in German. If you want to start with just the Italian.
Then I'm mainly a wargamer and I enjoy play more complicated games. If you want to have an idea have a look at this report: Item for Geeklist "Wargames on your table - October 2016" .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:
[q="kiramortis"]What do you think about the game so far?

BlackSheeper wrote:
Quote:
A lot of people will start saying that you don't know where is the Capital of the truffle.

It's not a big deal for a lot of people (I don't care for example) but it looks like it's so much important for a bunch of people! I think I'll stick with this but thank you for your comment

I asked for dig it out! to be added to the database, thank you for your suggestions Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiramortis wrote:

After pointing out what people will say of Acqualagna claiming, your game will be nice to see, but will need to be ready for the markets in which it can sell better: Germany and English speaking countries. And the better way to do it is to have ready the rules books in that tongues and then provide the Italian one when you sell a copy in Italy. For instance, all new products from the Italian company Camelot will have the rules book in English only, and if you will want the Italian rules book you will download it from their home page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
English rules are ready to be posted..laugh And english is definitely going to be the "standard" language.

Dig it Out! is language dependent (a lot of event cards) but it's not going to be a problem: we got stickers!

I didn't think about a german version! We'll see how things develop and then we'll make a decision laughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiramortis wrote:
I didn't think about a german version! We'll see how things develop and then we'll make a decision laughlaugh

You joined the thread Board Game Translator Meeting that was opened by a German running a company that customize games for Germany and you didn't consider the implications?
Germany, with Austria and German speaking Swiss areas, is one of the largest market for games like your. If you sell well in Germany you probably have reached the break even point, so you have made profittable your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:

Thank you Paolo for your precious suggestions. thumbsup

I created an entry for Dig it Out! It's not final yet (and will never be maybe) but i'll keep both this thread and the entry updated.

Soon the rulebook in English!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi..

I am looking for some feedback here... The illustrator has been working on the game cover for a while now and the result is this:

What do you think about it?

Please be sincere.. I can't be objective anymore with anything regarding Dig it out! I need you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Paardekooper
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a first glance, the pig looked like the neighbour from Family guy to me (forgot his name, but the associations are not family friendly)... Maybe it's the way it's is tilted?
For the rest it gives me a feeling like this should be some fast paced dice fest like King of Tokyo. But looking at your gameplay picture I don't think it's anything like that. I also don't see the connection with truffles anywhere. Only some amanita's but they are hardly edible...

Good luck with your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
namrevo wrote:
From a first glance, the pig looked like the neighbour from Family guy to me (forgot his name, but the associations are not family friendly)... Maybe it's the way it's is tilted?
For the rest it gives me a feeling like this should be some fast paced dice fest like King of Tokyo. But looking at your gameplay picture I don't think it's anything like that. I also don't see the connection with truffles anywhere. Only some amanita's but they are hardly edible...

Good luck with your game!

Hi Jeroen!
Thank you for your comments!
Are you talking about Quagmire?? Ihihi I'll tell it to my illustrator, let's see how he reacts!

There are two truffles in the cover... let's see if you can find them!
And there's also a spade which is the most important tool for a truffle hunter

We'll work on the pig lady. None seems to like her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattia Tontini
Italy
Acqualagna
PU
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:

Quote:

Of course is not an official thing but if you search on google "capital of the Truffle" or (capitale del tartufo, in italian) you will find Acqualagna everywhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.