Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides those games devoted to the Thirty Years War, and the Dutch & Spanish conflict during this time, are there games, other than Revolution: The Dutch Revolt, that cover the period from 1568-1648?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me, Severus, if you are interested solely in Dutch involvement but there are some good games covering the French Religious Wars 1562-1598, notably from hexasim "By Shot, Shock and Faith" and Vae Victis "Avec Infini Regret", vols 1 and 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Besides those games devoted to the Thirty Years War, and the Dutch & Spanish conflict during this time, are there games, other than Revolution: The Dutch Revolt, that cover the period from 1568-1648?

Not sure what you're looking for - the Eighty Years War is the conflict between the Dutch & Spanish, so if you exclude that there isn't much else. Or are you looking for a game set in the period ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:

There was this one on the Eighty Years War in the low countries.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10978/dutch-revolt

But it did not quite seem to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

Not sure what you're looking for - the Eighty Years War is the conflict between the Dutch & Spanish, so if you exclude that there isn't much else. Or are you looking for a game set in the period ?

He's talking about a specific game.

Virgin Queen qualifies, in part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geus en Spanjool deals with the full war but focuses more on the opening period

it's in Dutch but pm me if you're interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nog nooit van gehoord, daar wil ik wel wat meer van weten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not a complex game.

Turn represents a year. Based on action points, rolled on D6

Turn sequence is always the same:
Event
Move
Reorganise troops within province
Battles
Capturing cities (storm or siege)

Leaders are necessary to move troops between provinces and to attack.

Events include appearance/departure of leaders, reinforcements, converting cities peacefully and counting points

Apart from the basic troops, the Spanish have cavalry (which is more mobile on the map) and Geuzen/Sea Beggars who can attack cities from the sea and have advantages capturing them by stealth.

There's alternative rules for added historical feel, plus a booklet with a short history of the Dutch Revolt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the website of The Perfect Captain. They have some scenarios in their Spanish Fury system.

It is PnP, if that is not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have Virgin Queen (as well as Here I Stand), but I was hoping for something more focused on the Dutch--Spanish conflict.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Perhaps we could talk Charles into making the Eighty Years War his next CDG.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
I do have Virgin Queen (as well as Here I Stand), but I was hoping for something more focused on the Dutch--Spanish conflict.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Perhaps we could talk Charles into making the Eighty Years War his next CDG.

goo

"We'e going to need a bigger box"

Oddly enough my work on The Good Old Cause concerns itself more with the garrison warfare of the ECW than marching armies to see if I can pull the system into European wars of that era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jur I hope that was a typo and you didn't mean to say the Spanish have Geuzen cause that would be an unforgiveable error.

I have the feeling that Bentlarsen has no idea about the 80 years war.
The game Jur mentions by title alone SCREAMS 80 years war.

I think he simply want Charles' game {which I own but for the world can not remember the title of right now, oh isn't that annoying}

Anyway, that's the kind of game he wants but pasted onto another war as it were. No critisism intended Bent, just a feeling I get.

The 80 years war (so Jur 80 turns in the game? wow) is the forgotten war in the gaming world and this while it has so many angles and twists.

Just think of het development of weaponry as it starts out almost mediëval in 1566, with people still wearing armour and then slowly things evolve into the gunpowder age.
From mace to flintlock as it were.

And if you want include the politics.... this war lends itself for a potential very complicated game.
I wish I had the skils to design a game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
Check the website of The Perfect Captain. They have some scenarios in their Spanish Fury system.

It is PnP, if that is not a problem.

Bedankt voor de tip, dat lijkt interessant.
Nu ben ik niet handig genoeg om me aan PnP te wagen, het resultaat zou vast niet aan mijn eisen voldoen, maar.... wie weet.

Ik wil beginnen met miniaturen schilderen en als dat een beetje lukt.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Jur I hope that was a typo and you didn't mean to say the Spanish have Geuzen cause that would be an unforgiveable error.

Yup. Typo. The Dutch have Geuzen units. Sorry about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, but it would have been if the game had that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you decide you must feel offended, there is nothing I can do about it.

I was simply trying to point out that your comments gave me the impression it was not the 80 years war you were looking for but that it was some other conflict of the period that you might be thinking of.

How you imagine Charles should be offended by anything I wrote is even further beyond me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I will give you the benefit of the doubt, which I should have done in the first place, and remove my post. I hope a great game on the Eighty Years War will come along in time for us both to enjoy it.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not the only one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear hear.

One is long overdue and this is while its a period so rich in possibilities, its almost SCREAMING out for a game.

I've been hoping to find one whichs gives me the sieges and the fieldbattles and all sorts of skirmishes in between and still is true to history.

I wish I had the talent to try such a venture myself, but if anyone decides to have a stab at it, I'd be happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am also interested on this long and complex war -quite unknown- and I would like to see a good game about it.

I tried Revolution, and found it interesting, but it is not a true wargame, you need several players to enjoy it, and I found the map/cards design not very practical.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, I bought revolution mainly cause it was a game on the subject, not for the game itself. It is not a wargame.

I did buy some games on the period, just to be able to play the musket and pike type battles, but what i really want is a game on said war.

I can imagine you would have a whole different view on that war then I, which might make it interesting to share views on any game, should ever there come one to exist about that war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentilhombre wrote:

I am also interested on this long and complex war -quite unknown- and I would like to see a good game about it.

???
Quite unknown?
I studied it at school!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously?

I can't imagine that being part of the general history lessons.

Of course your own history is somewhat connected and influcenced by what happened as many of your officers came over and learned the trade in that war, and benefited form what they'd learned using it in the ECW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Seriously?

Of course your own history is somewhat connected and influcenced by what happened as many of your officers came over and learned the trade in that war, and benefited form what they'd learned using it in the ECW.

It was part of my A Levels: The influence on the ECW came via the 30 Years War end of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
sagitar wrote:
Seriously?

It was part of my A Levels: The influence on the ECW came via the 30 Years War end of the war.

What he said!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.