Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game, and I've started discovering some implications of the game mechanics, so I figured I'd start a thread to discuss these and maybe gain some wisdom from other players that chime in.

These might be obvious to others, but they took me a couple games to recognize.

There's no risk to placing corners (colored die 1 or 3) in corner squares. In the image below, you can always safely place corners like the one in the lower right -- because there's simply no other track that can go in that space and still be used. So if you have rolled a corner and are not sure what to do with it, this is a safe option.

Shared loops are very useful. I give a clear example in the image below of what I'm talking about. If you work towards these sorts of structures, you can share track between many lines.

I didn't place a bonus square in this example (whoops), but even this simple structure would reach 80 points. With more convoluted paths between stations, you can increase this further. In any event, so far I've found that working towards this sort of structure consistently achieves decent scores.

Now, I've only played the basic game so far. The first suggestion is probably less useful using the advanced rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of the fun in this game comes from discovering better ways to use the track that you are given. Once you realise that certain things can be done, many new possibilities open up.

My earlier games had scores from 30ish - 60ish, but in my most recent plays I have managed to get a score of 103, and 116, which I was pretty pleased with. However, such scores aren't as possible in the advanced game, as the link values are capped by the dice rolls that you spend on them to buy the shares, so you can't construct as convoluted routes.

What may not be as apparent initially is that the placement of the stations can have quite an influence on what you score. Their proximity to each other and the order in which you have them placed will effect what options are available to you.

The reuse of track is vital for a good score no matter what approach you are taking however. It's always amusing that in many train games (30 Rails, TTR, Railroad Tycoon etc) the longer it takes to get places, the happier the customers are (more VP its worth). ^^

In case you're interested, here is the 103pt game:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

and the 116pt game:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting...while I've always realized station placement is important, I've never thought about setting it up like you did for your 116 point game and going for a long track...may have to try that next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That double station set up is indeed very inspired! It makes a ton of sense actually. You only need to solve one station-to-station problem, in essence, and you can make nice circuitous routes. Of course, I suppose you lose the opportunity for links between the neighboring stations. I will have to try something like this out, however.

I'm also curious to try my hand at free-placing all tracks to try and generate the highest score I can. I think doing so will give me extra insight into the structures that yield points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.