BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: GMT P500 delivery to UK now bypassing VAT / handling charges? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
A while ago I P500'd Fire In the Lake (Great game) but was stung by the addition of 20% VAT and handling charges taking the price above what I would eventually pay for UK retail.

Ever since I have avoided P500'ing games much to my annoyance as there has been so many times I wanted to jump in. Recently on BGG i have noticed a few comments from european gamers who have P500'd games and they have arrived distributed from with the EU so avoiding any custom charges (basically the same as an EU friendly kickstarter). I have searched on the GMT page but can find no official change of policy regarding this.

Does anyone know if the distribution of P500 games to europe has officially changed to become EU friendly (avoiding import tax), or is it just the case that I have read comments from the lucky few who recieved games that were not picked out by customs? I am eager to start buying GMT games again on the P500, I can think of about 6-7 I would immediately back if this change in distribution was true!

Anyone out their have any official info to help me start P500'ing again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer lies with Second Chance Games in Merseyside. I had the same problem you had, but someone I knew received his copy via Second Chance Games with no associated import duties and VAT costs etc. I called them a few days ago and they confirmed that they did have an arrangement with GMT and were handling the U.K. distribution on their behalf (I didn't think to ask about the rest of the EU). They reckoned that this will solve the import duty problem that has been such a pain the last few years.

I'm happy, so back on the P500 list we go!

Edit: A quick shout out to SCG - I don't know if any of you are on BGG, but a bit of advertising this new arrangement on here will bring you a lot of kudos and new business, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure would get them more business (from me at least) ... I would jump at the opportunity to avoid the silly fees charged for "administration" by the UK-based end of the courier chain and the seemingly random customs charges that I have experienced over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Ah Great news. Thanks for the info you are right this should be more widely publicised.

So if I understand you correctly P500 games as normal on the GMT website and GMT send out the games via Second Chance games. You do not need to go through the Second Chance games website?

Back on P500 I go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
The answer lies with Second Chance Games in Merseyside. --snip-- have an arrangement with GMT and were handling the U.K.--snip--

Edit: A quick shout out to SCG - I don't know if any of you are on BGG, but a bit of advertising this new arrangement on here will bring you a lot of kudos and new business, I'm sure.

Got to agree with hoster here.. if this is still working both GMT and SCG should make it prominent.. mention in GMT monthly sheet etc...

Its not even the VAT i minded its the £8 -£15 admin fees on top that always irritated me.

I will now go look at SCG website cause as usual running my mouth off without checking first! Please don't hate me. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy it while you can as the Brexitiers will not allow this sort of thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, must be a pretty recent thing but great news if true.

My P500 MBT arrived at the beginning of August and I was stung in full by import and handling charges to the tune of just over £22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Ah Great news. Thanks for the info you are right this should be more widely publicised.

So if I understand you correctly P500 games as normal on the GMT website and GMT send out the games via Second Chance games. You do not need to go through the Second Chance games website?
!

Yep - so far as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:

Actually it is probably what they would welcome i.e. increased trade with the U.S. with wheels being greased behind the scenes to allow the new trade routing, particularly with a non-EU state. Sounds like a win:win to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
The answer lies with Second Chance Games in Merseyside
I called them a few days ago and they confirmed that they did have an arrangement with GMT and were handling the U.K. distribution on their behalf (I didn't think to ask about the rest of the EU).

Excellent news! Chris, thanks for calling and confirming with SCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
A follow up question (I guess) for all those with more P500 experience then me (which will be nearly all of you having only ever done it for one game)

I am currently looking to P500 Colonial Twilight, Pendragon and Imperial Struggle (I have missed the discount on Sekigahara and Golan'73 so will pick them up retail). Am I better off putting these into one order or ordering them separately?

Do GMT hold them all back for one delivery if they are ordered together (this could be quite a wait as none of them are likely to go into production at the same time), if so I guess separate orders is the way to go.

Any help from those with more experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GMT office confirmed to me last week they expect to do C&C Napoleonics this way.

The first game done this way, maybe a COIN, did cause some fall out though. The onward distribution was too slow for some, the game was readily available in shops before it reached them.

Hopefully it's getting better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
The GMT office confirmed to me last week they expect to do C&C Napoleonics this way.

The first game done this way, maybe a COIN, did cause some fall out though. The onward distribution was too slow for some, the game was readily available in shops before it reached them.

Hopefully it's getting better.

I'd imagine that if it wasn't just initial teething problems, when more hear of this change and place UK-bound P500 orders, GMT and SCG will have to pay attention and prioritise this volume? I'm certainly prepared to give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love if there was a local legal way to P500 in the UK. I'd probably P500 Fire in the Lake and Liberty or Death.

I'm on the fence about Pendragon. I plan to get three more COINs and I think FitL and LoD are certainties if they get a reprint. Pendragon has appeal with the local map!

But three more and I really have to stop there with my COIN collecting so Pendragon could rule out later titles! Wonder if they will do a WW2 one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
INFECTED EGGS
mbmbmbmbmb
JefA wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:
The answer lies with Second Chance Games in Merseyside. --snip-- have an arrangement with GMT and were handling the U.K.--snip--

Got to agree with hoster here.. if this is still working both GMT and SCG should make it prominent.. mention in GMT monthly sheet etc...

Its not even the VAT i minded its the £8 -£15 admin fees on top that always irritated me.

I will now go look at SCG website cause as usual running my mouth off without checking first! Please don't hate me. :cry:

I remember years ago I ordered a DVD set from the United States. I eventually traced it to British Customs who were "storing" it for me (but without telling me). They charged me V.A.T, customs duty, an administration fee (which in itself was a clearly obscene amount of money) and - and (I kid you not) a storage fee calculated at a daily rate. I seem to remember they were very smug about it too. It was a very poor experience for me and shone British Customs in a very poor light indeed. So poor in fact I remember it clearly to this day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moore
United Kingdom
Coylton
Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first P500 titles, using the new SecondChancegames re-shipping method, arrived with me today...

Grand Prix and the new 3" Labyrinth box...

Everything with these 2 titles seemed to go very smoothly, and the games didn't sit with 2ndChanceGames very long, just a couple of days to process, and ship them out...

Kudos to GMT and SCG for finding a way of getting very nice P500 prices to UK buyers...Grand Prix cost me £48 all in, which I think is a great price, especially getting it nice and early...

I will be using GMT/SCG's P500 system a lot more in future! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping that my copy of 1846 gets shipped that way.

I've only ever P500'd a game once before and I got stung for £22 when it was delivered. I would definitely order more if I could get them delivered without this hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And hopefully someone from GMT is reading or will read this thread as well.
We Brits want to join the party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
And hopefully someone from GMT is reading or will read this thread as well.
We Brits want to join the party!

I don't understand your post, the whole thread is about distribution of P500 games from within the UK, avoiding additional customs and VAT charges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mb

SCG have always been very prompt sending out games, not just the P500's! I like using them when I can. They have been great at getting in MMP games much earlier than rivals and a wider range of them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! I'd love to P500 but have always been put off after getting stung the one time that I did order from GMT direct. I think I'll wait for an official announcement from GMT or SCG before getting my wallet out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
This sounds great! I'd love to P500 but have always been put off after getting stung the one time that I did order from GMT direct. I think I'll wait for an official announcement from GMT or SCG before getting my wallet out.

If you mail them, they confirm they're doing it. If you look at recent releases you can see UK P500 confirming they're doing it. I'm not sure what additional value there is waiting for some announcement when it's there to be benefited from today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would prefer an official announcement / clarity at point of order versus personal email for a delivery that could take place months later and involves a third party. I'll wait for something official or buy when it hits UK shores.

BlackSpy wrote:
ReggieMcFly wrote:

If you mail them, they confirm they're doing it. If you look at recent releases you can see UK P500 confirming they're doing it. I'm not sure what additional value there is waiting for some announcement when it's there to be benefited from today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. I am quite happy to keep my business with my favourite OLGS until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
wi1ky wrote:

Actually in this case it would be fine, as they're being shipped to the UK and distributed within the UK.

The issue with leaving the common trade area would be where goods are shipped to the UK and then on to the rest of the EU. At the moment GMT could ship the games to the UK, and the UK distributor could ship copies on to, say, Germany, and there'd be no additional taxes.

Likewise they could use a distributor based in Germany who then shipped in to the UK at no additional cost.

Brexit *may* mean (depending on the settlement) that companies will need to be separately "EU friendly" and "UK friendly", requiring two different distributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.