United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I often ease my son into games. Leave out units with special abilities and such until he handles the rest.

So.

MageKnight Dungeons is readily available now at humongous, outrageous and other superlative discounts. I was thinking of getting a whole bunch. But, I figures I'd test drive it with my little guy to see if he'd want to play.

I had 2 starters and 2 boosters from when it first came out and my wife and I used to play MK a bit. I broke em out and set em up.

MK is a standard minis affair, clicky based, no need to go over detailed rules with him. He's 8, he's bright, he plays Horror clix and such.

Well, in my infinite fatherly wisdom, I tell him we'll just go in with 1 hero each to get down the mechanics.

DON'T DO THIS.

Let me make this clear - DON'T GO IN WITH ONLY 1 HERO. Like EVER.

OK, the box says starter and all that, and we're used to the way that works that you might have to field guys who aren't tournament legal and such.

But hidden deep in the advanced rules is the moment that says that each team should be about 100 points.

The basic rules simply say "take a guy". I took a guy, he took a guy. My guy was worth 22 points. Not 100. 22. In fact, if by some miracle of the great gods of dice he levelled up several times, he would never get near the 100 points the game is set for.

I walked towards the first chest. Going through my MK collection, he picks the guarding beast to be a werewolf. I hit it. Ha ha, everyone knows the trick of the werewol - he get's STRONGER after he's wounded. What a riot.

The werewolf hits back so hard that my miniature actually flinches.

Meanwhile, across the dungeon, my son's Orc Shaman dude walks into a room and encounters a troll and a little molten man.

Two turns later, I'm a shambling mess of chop meat and mauled chainmail as I decide to retreat and outrun the werewolf (har har, yes, that sounds like a good idea...). My son beats his troll, but is pretty pounded.

I get killed, my son is attacked by the little lava guy and dies. Ok, it wasn't us, it was our characters, but you know what I mean.

"Is it over?" he shrugs.

I slump down. "Well, yeah."

He heads to the xbox and loads up Earth Defense Force, the deal being I choose one game, then he chooses one.

THIS GAME DOES NOT SCALE DOWN TO FEWER HEROES. This should be a huge sticker on the rulebook. It is quite impossible to play as the basic lone wolf rules are written, unless your opponent has the IQ of soup.

Will I buy the cases at absurd discounts? I don't know, we have to try going in with maybe 3 level 2 guys and see if the game goes more than 6 minutes.

Meanwhile, Earth Defense Force on xBox360 is a hoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'ts been a long, long while since I read these rules, but don't they suggest starting your hero at max level for your first couple of plays? Checking Wizkids website, they have Lone Wolf rules for a solo hero game. Dunno if that would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
don't they suggest starting your hero at max level for your first couple of plays?

Not that I saw. It said Level 1 or 2. Even at level 5, we would have been pasted to the floors in seconds, with values in the mid 40s at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some fans of the game have created a much better/revised set of rules including some for starting off with smaller point sets.

I believe the link to that set of rules is in the MK Dungeons links section :

http://sakuralover.tripod.com/mk/mkd_adventure.htm

Actually, quickly perusing the files/links here on the geek, it looks like there is a lot of new stuff.

-Brett

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
In an expansion set, *BOTH* four-player 1st level parties were killed IN THE FIRST ROOM they entered.

Are the expansions tougher than the base set somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience with my first few plays. We were hoping for a light fun dungeon romp and ended up with a monster buffet. The game was tucked away for a long time until I donated it to my friends game room to use the chests, heroes and monsters for RPG games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.