Subject: First impressions after a few plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few musings after some sessions yesterday.
After returning from the weekend, the parcel in front of my door was: Flamme rouge! Fresh from the distributor. Good thing I had scheduled a boardgame evening yesterday.
Unboxing
The box is big (Catan or DoW sized) and heavy, the art is thematic for a cycling racing game of probably the sixties the last century/millenium. After opening the box the art continues. The box is more than half full the rest is a nice card board insert.
You have to depanel the road sections and unshrink and sort the cards. That's it, now to the contents themselves.
Material
The cardboard is thick and the cards adequate as expected. One cave at, the scale between the illustration and the rules applicability differs, don't let yourself lead astray. The whole race course is equivalent to an etappe of at least a few deca km/miles, the scale of the illustrations on the other hand would suggest a thenth of that.
The bends also are just for shaping the road to fit on the table as in the course of 60 km or more racing actual curves are irrelevant.
However the board and the other content on the table will please the eyes very nicely.
The cyclist plastic meeples are finely and detailed sculpted, which may lead to confusion as they almost look alike (especially from the front or back) and you have to differentiate between them. The resolution is to mark or paint them, which is a bit of a drawback for an off-the-shelf-ready2play family game. A small black mark for the editor here.
Rules
If you want know the whole rules read the manual in the files section, Rulebook. It is actually only 1 page as the rest of it is Set up and optional rules for descents and ascents. Just as much, playing is simple, fast and simultaneously. As befitting a race game it plays fast, very fast. No downtime, which is a big plus in my view.
Towards the ends your decks for your two cyclists will controllably thin more and more, which is the main mechanism of the game.
These simplistic rules will nevertheless give a very good approximation of a real race, at least they did when we played it. You could almost hear the sports comments in the background. The fights were hard and very open and the lead changed more than a bit during the races.
After the first session we added a- and descents which was no big problem for us to grasp and we probably will never play without it.
The game needed only two or three rounds to feel familiar and after that ran very smoothly and immersive.
With the modular roads you are not restricted to the five given layouts. A lot of fan courses guaranteed.
Cum grano salis
Without diminishing the game which has the potential of a modern classic a few things which may have improved it.
The artwork of the cards is nice but could have been focused more on game play.
If you love sheep you will find them a lot besides the road on the board pieces, a lot more than I remember seeing during the Tour de France or any other cycling race except Scottish ones. ;-)
At first I was surprised at the timeframe the theme is set, however after the first question how to get pharmaceutical boosts for the riders I did understand the choice to steer clear of the modern races.
The title is a nice reference to cycle races throughout, I believe the obvious choice would have been something connecting to the yellow jersey. But this is explained in just two sentences and may au contraire instill curiosity in the walk by buyer.
Verdict
This is good stuff, winning material one might say. Simplistic but close enough to the real thing to immerse the players. Solid contents, a bit on the family side of the weight scale for me but that is a plus for a publisher. I like it better than the classic racing games Formula De and Um Reifenbreite!
Post scriptum
A special bonus is the author's contributions in the files section of the first add-ons: A rule for a campaign or Grand Tour, a Solo rule and cards with variable rider powers.

Edit: Note at the likeness of the meeples.

If you find some wrong spelling you may keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks do much for the super fast first impression Wolfram! Really glad we hit a game night for you, as I know there is waaaay to little information out there for folks due to the production delays. I hope this helps!

I hope you'll play it much more and, maybe even add another review after 10-20 games

Super glad you put it even above some of the classics in the genre. I could only have hoped for such a first reaction!

There is one mistake in the review though, it isn't in the 60s It is actually specifically Saturday the 6th of July 1932, and set in Paris. We've tried to make the rulebook inspired by a newspaper, so I'm the editor in chief, Ossi is the photographer, the price is on etc.

Thanks again!
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsgerSG wrote:

There is one mistake in the review though, it isn't in the 60s It is actually specifically Saturday the 6th of July 1932, and set in Paris. We've tried to make the rulebook inspired by a newspaper, so I'm the editor in chief, Ossi is the photographer, the price is on etc.

Thanks again!
Asger Granerud

Edited.
No cyclist either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the initial impressions, Wolfram. Looks like a game I could get my family into.

Wolfram wrote:
At first I was surprised at the timeframe the theme is set, however after the first question how to get pharmaceutical boosts for the riders I did understand the choice to steer clear of the modern races.

You might be surprised, looking back at the history of doping in cycling. After all, in the 1930s, drugs in cycling were so widely used that the Tour de France rulebook at that time had to explicitly state that drugs would not be provided by the race organisers. Performance-enhancing drugs were the norm until they were banned some time in the 1960s, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Gusmeroli
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram, thanks for your review.
Have you tried it as a 2player-game? How would you rate it? If no, how do you think it works?

I mean, my fear is that it could be not enough tight, you know what I mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GThreepwood wrote:
Wolfram, thanks for your review.
Have you tried it as a 2player-game? How would you rate it? If no, how do you think it works?

I mean, my fear is that it could be not enough tight, you know what I mean?

It certainly shines with 3 or 4 players. Have a look at the [filepage=137263]solo rules[/filepage] as the name notwithstanding there are also rules for 2+1 Robo player. And with just one robot even I can manage it (I am a terrible solo player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
obenn wrote:
Thanks for the initial impressions, Wolfram. Looks like a game I could get my family into.

Wolfram wrote:

You might be surprised, looking back at the history of doping in cycling. After all, in the 1930s, drugs in cycling were so widely used that the Tour de France rulebook at that time had to explicitly state that drugs would not be provided by the race organisers. Performance-enhancing drugs were the norm until they were banned some time in the 1960s, if I remember correctly.

They always hold something back for the inevitable expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel lafouge
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Andy,
I already have played the game several times with my wife , and I can confirm it is a great game for two players. We had a lot of fun, my wife and me and I think, even if I have not already played it with three or four players, it surely keeps its charm and tension if you play it at two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obenn wrote:

The ban only really came about when cyclists were dying due to doping (Simpson in 62, IIRC). And in the early years, it was regarded as completely normal to give athletes the best "medical assistance" possible; the U.S. runner, Hicks, won the 1904 Olympic marathon having been given two doses of strychnine - and the U.S. team went on to advertise the feat as being a perfect blend of the athlete's determination and US medical science.

But anyone who thinks that drugs to enhance sporting performance is limited mainly to cycling is kidding themselves. Cycling's not a particularly rich sport; whenever you want to find drugs, just "follow the money".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.