Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
--------------- ---------------

Seanville
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.timesnews.net/Education/2016/10/04/Ireson-calls-f...=

Do enlightened Southerners get as embarrassed about their state as those in Wisconsin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
My favorite part:
Quote:
“My child's personal religious beliefs were violated,” said Edmisten, adding that her seventh grade daughter took zeros on the section on Islamic history after a teacher didn’t allow her to opt out of the curriculum and standards and do alternative studies. “Those are zeros that we proudly took and we will not compromise.”

The equivalent of "We proudly reject learning anything about anyone who doesn't look, walk, talk, and act exactly like us!" Which is to say: They reject learning.

Tennessee usually gets a free pass when it comes to backwardness, but at least twice a year you'll hear some crazy idiocy erupt from some corner of the state, which reminds us all that loony knuckledragging is not confined to the deep south.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what the course material in auestion was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you nutters arguing for religion in schools now ? Jeebus, I cant keep track of what you idiots want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Seanville
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
My favorite part:
Quote:
“My child's personal religious beliefs were violated,” said Edmisten, adding that her seventh grade daughter took zeros on the section on Islamic history after a teacher didn’t allow her to opt out of the curriculum and standards and do alternative studies. “Those are zeros that we proudly took and we will not compromise.”

The equivalent of "We proudly reject learning anything about anyone who doesn't look, walk, talk, and act exactly like us!" Which is to say: They reject learning.

Tennessee usually gets a free pass when it comes to backwardness, but at least twice a year you'll hear some crazy idiocy erupt from some corner of the state, which reminds us all that loony knuckledragging is not confined to the deep south.

I have friends that moved back to Tennessee upon retiring... they send me a large quantity of Tennessee news articles that are just like this. I think most are low level stupidity, but they all point to a rather uneducated, un-evolved populace clinging to expired beliefs and ways. They are definitely more subtle racists than other Southern states are proud to display, but the infection is still there. Perhaps it is the proximity to the North that helps repress the hate?

As for the rejection of education and learning... that is a virulent strain that infects our country to an astounding level. For all the resources, excesses, and luxuries the majority of our country enjoys, it amazes me that this is still a thing. The funny thing is that in all my travels outside of the US, I have never heard a population declare their ignorance and distaste for education - they long for it and its benefits.

Truly, one of the more despicable diseases in this country's citizens. I think our resources have prevented natural selection from taking its crack at the clearing action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Seanville
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
So are you nutters arguing for religion in schools now ? Jeebus, I cant keep track of what you idiots want.

Pretty sure that knowledge of different religions is taught in schools.

Reading about Judaism does not equate to practicing Judaism, much like reading about the US Revolutionary War does not equate to me shooting a British visitor.

Fucking idiot.

You don't infect your kids with your nonsense do you? For Jeebus sake, please tell me you are smart enough to not ruin them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Shadrach wrote:
I watched a YouTube video and was able to stop during segments where the lady was displaying the test, and it looks like a standard history of the region with questions relating to the Byzantine empire, and emperor Justinian, and the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Pope, etc. There was a question that asked what the five pillars of Islam are, which the lady seemed to really take issue with.

Although I hate to tell her: The middle-school (aka Junior High) years are when kids typically take world cultures courses in their history/social-studies classes. That hasn't changed in decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

As long as it's VOLUNTARY and not filtered like this woman wants it to be, why not?

Like it or not it's part of our culture. I think comparative religion is a good class for kids to take, as soon as they realize that every "other" religion seems ridiculous the sooner they see that their's is too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This part of the article is interesting as well (bold mine)

However, Edmisten disagreed. “I’m very happy (with Ireson's motion). I’'m very unhappy about the board for apologizing to the staff because it is a teacher’s discretion,” Edmisten said. “That's why I'm going to continue the fight. 2019 is too long to wait.”

She was referring to draft state Board of Education seventh grade standards, which would remove a section on Islamic history from 400 to 1500 but retain mentions of Islam in other sections. Until and unless the standards change'in 2019-20, Hughes said Sullivan County must follow the law and standards “"whether we like it or whether we don’t.”

Is there any reason for this deletion of an important part of world history. I mean aside from promoting ignorance and religious bigotry that is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
This part of the article is interesting as well (bold mine)

However, Edmisten disagreed. “I’m very happy (with Ireson's motion). I’'m very unhappy about the board for apologizing to the staff because it is a teacher’s discretion,” Edmisten said. “That's why I'm going to continue the fight. 2019 is too long to wait.”

She was referring to draft state Board of Education seventh grade standards, which would remove a section on Islamic history from 400 to 1500 but retain mentions of Islam in other sections. Until and unless the standards change'in 2019-20, Hughes said Sullivan County must follow the law and standards “"whether we like it or whether we don’t.”

Is there any reason for this deletion of an important part of world history. I mean aside from promoting ignorance and religious bigotry that is

Especially because Islam wasn't even founded until 610 CE, I definitely have to wonder what the point of eliminating 'Islamic history from 400...' would be aimed at accomplishing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Would you agree with this? And would it apply equally elsewhere in the world, or is the US a special case? It struck me as being a possible contributing factor to the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
No we are saying that there is nothing wrong with teaching all religion in school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

As long as it's VOLUNTARY and not filtered like this woman wants it to be, why not?

Like it or not it's part of our culture. I think comparative religion is a good class for kids to take, as soon as they realize that every "other" religion seems ridiculous the sooner they see that their's is too.

If by voluntary you mean all or nothing I'd agree. You can't do like the Mayans, Buddhism, and cut out Islam though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws moved to Paris Tennessee. There is really nothing there but kudzu and houses falling in on themselves. Well, there was a community college, but I can't imagine why they would want to educate anyone...they'd just leave.

You cannot get a good cup of coffee, a pizza, a straight road...hell you have to go through Kentucky twice to get there.

If the rest of the state is twice as enlightened as Paris...the place is all banjos and moonshine.

*there is a butcher shop called Trolingers. They have lunch special that is a heaping pile of pig meats for almost no money and they make their own pork rinds that are the size of Andre the Giants hand. They come in bread bags and there are people waiting for them everyday to come out fresh.

and you can get Yuengling and Peach Nehi

but anymore than a 2-3 day visit is pretty much inhumane torture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Shadrach wrote:

The parent in question didn't want her daughter to learn that Muslims had been the most dynamic force for advancing learnings, the sciences, mathemetics, and medicines during the centuries from 400-1500 A.D. even while Europe and England languished in the Dark Ages.

Nobody ever bring their Alhambra game to school there or invite that kid to play it, either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.