Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
GIlbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy the game piece by piece or splurge on the deluxe.

I can get the Starter, Core, Blue/Black, and White/Purple sets for roughly half the price of the Deluxe.

What I'm missing out on by not getting the deluxe:
-Playmats
-Map Cards
-HP tracker
-6 Binders
-Large box
-Token cards

Any strong recommendations one way or the other? btw, major props to Sirlin for not ruining this game with exclusives like many other Kickstarters nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you sleeve cards? Sleeved cards in the binders may not all fit snuggly in the deluxe box. And the deluxe box is pretty large.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have the starter and leaning towards the individual sets at the moment since costs are cheaper and I can use the Core box as a travel box to store all the tokens and stuff. I was looking at making my own binders instead since you can't get 4 of the binders from Codex without buying Deluxe.

Another thing to wonder is so you want everything now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Wilcox
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Sleeved cards fit in the binders. The binders then fit (snugly) in the box.

If you like the game, having all the factions vastly increases the number of unique matchups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super stoked to have everything now with the Deluxe. I'm not nearly as stoked about the unwieldy size of the thing though, there's literally not a shelf large enough in my house to store the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, the box is kinda useless, but pretty.

The binders alone are fantastic and totally worth it. The playmats are really great too, but you could buy them separately. The card tokens are nice-to-haves. In MTG, these types of tokens are kinda costly because they're just so thematically cool. The little token chits, I don't use any of them, but bought a few sets of dice instead. They're good, but I'd rather flip dice faces than move chits from place to place. Just preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. B.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As anyone considering this game, I weighed the same choices as you. Hearing all the positive feedback on the gameplay and quality of everything included in the Deluxe set, I decided to take the chance on the Deluxe. While somewhat pricey up-front (creating a sense of sticker shock), the extras you listed (especially the complete set of binders to store each of the factions) are quite nice to have from a convenience standpoint. Having everything stored in a nice, organized box is an added bonus. It helps make set-up and tear-down very quick. When taking the game out on a game night, it is a very impressive sight to behold for our gaming group. Gives everyone that "Wow" factor. If cost is a large deciding factor for you, none of the extra items a absolutely necessary for game play. I'm sure an alternative storage solution will present itself in time. I'm very glad I purchased the Deluxe as I'm sure you would as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
The binders are the big thing. Playmats + patrol zones you can print out. Binders, though, you might have difficulty finding ones that work as well as the deluxe set's do, especially if you want to sleeve your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playmats
These are great, and if you like the game, may be something you end up purchasing later. The deluxe also comes with 3 folded paper mats for larger games. These are...not great, but are at least usable.

Map Cards
Not a big deal. You could easily write the map rules on a single piece of paper with a number before each and just roll a die to pick one.

HP tracker
This comes in the Core game box. In any case, this is mostly useless. I abandoned it before the first game and just use dice.

6 Binders
These are fantastic, and along with the playmats, the primary reason for the Deluxe. You will miss having one for each color, guaranteed. Whether that's worth the extra cost is up to you. You can use alternatives, but you won't like them as much as the 2 that came with the Core game.

Large box
As others have mentioned; it's big and oddly shaped, making it difficult to shelve, and not really suitable for transport. Many people are finding alternatives. The art on the backside is great though!

Token cards
I don't think these are Deluxe exclusive. According to the product page, the Core set contains the necessary token cards:
- 30+ "token" unit cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Ulii
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playmats - While nice, I ended up splitting a copy of the core set with a friend and kept the player boards that came with it. The mats didn't fit into the box that I moved everything to and I didn't feel like carrying them around.

Map Cards - You can buy the PnP of these + tokens for $8 if you really wanted to use them.

HP tracker - I use the trackers from Battlecon, but you could just as easily use a 20 sided die.

6 Binders - The binders are really nice, but I also found 8 different colored folders (binders work too) at office max that I was able to fit all of my PnP stuff into. They couldn't fit the Dragon Shield sleeves, but there are sleeves out there that will work for them.

Large box - The box is garbage (imo) I hate oversized boxes and trashed it as soon as I found a more appropriate box to store things in. Currently I have everything I use for Codex in my Zombicide Season 1 box. It fits all 6 binders with sleeved cards, and has just enough room on top for me to put the 2 player boards from the core set. All of the tokens and dice that I use fit snuggly to the side of the binders.

Token cards - I personally am not a fan of some of the token art, and just use the ones I made up for my PnP copy (http://mtgcardsmith.com/mtg-token-maker/). But like others have pointed out, they should be available in their respective sets when released. Or you can buy the PnP for $8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
OtterOwnage wrote:

What I'm missing out on by not getting the deluxe:
-Playmats
-Map Cards
-HP tracker
-6 Binders
-Large box
-Token cards

You're not missing out on quite as much as you think you are if you forgo the Deluxe set:

The Core Set comes with 2 cardboard foldout playmats while the Deluxe set comes with 2 fancy mousepad-style playmats and 3 cardboard playmats. But if you get the Starter Set as well as the Core Set you get another set of not-quite-as-good, but easier to set up on the table Patrol Zones + minimats. So the Deluxe set does give you better quality mats and one more total mat than buying things piecemeal - but you're not missing out on all the mats.

The Core Set and Starter Set each come with the exact same 2-player HP tracker dial that the Deluxe set does, so you're not actually missing out on that by skipping the Deluxe set - in fact you're getting twice as many dials if you want to use them for FFA or something.(FWIW, a lot of players have been posting about how they prefer to use spindown dice to track life anyways)

The Core Set also comes with the exact same Red and Green faction binders that are among the six faction binders in the Deluxe set. So you're only missing out on four of the six binders. Sirlin has claimed that the Flagstone, Blackhand, Vortoss and Whitestar binders will NOT be sold separately in anything later. So if you really want to have binders with the art for those colors, the limited edition Deluxe Set is the only way to get them. Of course, it's possible to use third party trading card binders in whatever colors you want. (Although 3rd party binders don't have the same cut-out sleeves for ease of access during play -- if that matters to you)

The Core Set does come with Token cards for all the tokens which can be generated by the Red & Green faction cards and the Starter Set does come with the 3 double-sided Dancer/Angry Dancer tokens which can be generated by the Neutral faction cards. So you won't miss out on those by missing the Deluxe Set. It remains to be seen if the Blue vs Black and White vs Purple expansions will include their token cards or not. So the worst case is that you would miss out on the Tokens for four of the seven colors. And if that happens, you can pay $8 for the Print and Play of the Extras pack.

You are missing out on the Large Box and the Map Cards. However the Map cards are included in the $8 Print and Play extras pack, so add $8 + your own printing costs to the "buying piecemeal" column of your decision.

So what would actual miss out by buying piecemeal instead of Deluxe on is
- The Large Box (limited edition)
- 4 of the binders (limited edition)
- 1 playmat, and having higher quality playmats (although you can spend more to buy individual mousepad platmats through Sirlin games online store)
- having preprinted mapcards and possibly having preprinted token cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj Giri
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deluxe has a really nice, overly large box with an insert that is borderline useless.

For reference, I had a Kickstarter Core but loved the game so much that I bought Deluxe anyway. The playmats are pretty nice, the binders are really nice.

Looking back, I was mostly just excited to get the extra factions+the really nice binders and probably should have just waited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.