Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always found it to be a bit of a pity that the figurine in Onirim (little Incubus) seemed sort of redundant, gameplay wise. The variants included in the rulebook all make the game easier and might just as well be played without the figurine.
I really like how the "the Ravage" from Sylvion and "The Shadow of Menace" from Castellion both have a presences in the playing area, forcing the player to deal with them in some way, acting sort of like a Boss-variant.

So here is my variant on how to include the Onirim figurine in a similar antagonistic fashion:

The Haunt
The idea in this variant is that not only are you trying to escape the labyrinth, now you are also being chased by "the Haunt". While playing the Haunt pawn will enter and travel down the card row. If the pawn for any reason ever steps of the last card in the row, you have been caught and immediately lose the game. Will you be able to find the 8 doors before "the Haunt" catches you?

Set up
Place the Haunt pawn within reach

Gameplay
As in the base game with the following exceptions:

Finding the first door
When you find the first door, place the Haunt pawn on the first card in the row. (note that if you have yet to play a card to the row, you cannot find a door.

I've just discovered the first door by discarding a key, so the pawn is placed on the first card in the card row (red sun)

Advancing the pawn
There are two ways in which the pawn can advance.
1, If during the "play a card" fase you, for any reason, add one or more cards to the discard pile, move the pawn to the next card in the row. It doesn't matter whether the discarded card grants an effect or not. (for example discarding a key will allow you to look at the top five cards and discard one, but you still only advance the pawn one card)
2, any time you resolve a nightmare, advance the the pawn to the next card in the row. (note that discarding cards during the resolution of a nightmare does not advance the pawn additional spaces as this takes place during the "fill your hand" fase)

If the pawn for any reason ever steps of the last card in the row, you have been caught and immediately lose the game.

The "Same room" rule (for a harder game include this rule "Recommended")
You are not allowed to play the 3rd card in a given colour sequence to claim a door, if the Haunt pawn is in the same room as you. In this case a room is defined as any sequence of cards consisting of only one colour. So if the pawn is on a blue card and there is nothing but blue cards between the pawn and the end of the row, you cannot claim a door by completing a a sequence of 3-blue cards in a row.

In this situation you will not be able to play the "red sun" card from your hand, as the Haunt is already in the same room. You will therefore be forced to play a card of a different colour

For an even harder variant
you are never allowed to discover a door of the same colour as the card the Haunt pawn is currently on.

Notes on combining with "Book of steps, lost and found"
When combining the Haunt with the "Book of steps..." expansion you have access to an additional spell. By removing 5 cards (6 in the hard game) you may move the pawn one card backwards. In the picture above you would be able to remove 5 cards from the discard pile, move the pawn back and then discover the red door by playing "red sun".

I have playtested this variant about 25 times now. The majority of these plays have included the Book of Steps. I really like how this changes the game. It makes the opening very important. Maybe play a few cards to the row before finding the first door. I usually find this adds a great deal of tension to the first half of the game, and from time to time also near the end.
The first couple of times played it, it resulted in some quick loses, until I got the hang on what to do.
Without Book of Steps it is still fun, but feels more random. I have not tried it in 2-player, but I think it should work if the Haunt just chased whoever discovered the first door. So one of the players would have an extra threat to deal with.

Feedback is very welcome if you try this out!!
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Printed it out and will give it a try as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great John.
Let me know how it goes.

I have just edited the above, to add an even harder variant. (have only tried that mode 3 times)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty interesting, I'm gonna give it a try right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Very cool use of the cute Incubus pawn that indeed felt out of place gameplay-wise.

Your mode stays in the mind of the game and the difficulty setting seems totally appropriate and in the Shadi Torbey line. Congratulations.

I'll try it when I can. Sounds pretty difficult, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea it is fairly difficult. angry
After getting use to it, I think I win around 50% of my games when using this and the Book of Steps, and it usually feels like my own fault when I lose.

As stated above, using this with only the base game, while fun, seems quite swingy, as you have no way to manipulate your card draw and no way of moving the pawn backwards. So sometimes it's a breeze and other times you get completely hosed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tarou yamada
Japan
flag msg tools

Hello.
I'm a game player in Japan.
This expansion rules that you have created, I think a very interesting.
I've created a "Japanese translation" by using a machine translation.

Is it possible to be distributed to other players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tarou
I'm glad you like it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "possible to be distributed"?
Feel free to share these rules with whomever you want.
Or just upload the translation if you want!

One day when I have the time I might make a more official looking rules PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tarou yamada
Japan
flag msg tools

Thank you for your reply. Agner
I want to upload the "Japanese translation".
(Perhaps there are Japanese people who are in need of this)

I think it is bad to uploaded without your permission.
So, I decided to get your permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate it.

Hope you enjoy your experiances with this variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tarou yamada
Japan
flag msg tools
Thank you very much.
I can not hardly understand English.
I'm sorry when there is a mistranslation.

Download "The Haunt" Japanese translation text file

<ダウンロード>
「ホーント」日本語訳テキストファイル
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I whish I could give you more than one thumb.

This variant is amazingly good. Thank you so much for sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome variant!

I was always kinda bummed that the super-cute Incubus was only used in one (not very interesting) variant in the rulebook.
When you first open the game box, it really seems like it's going to be a 'boss' of some sorts. Like, I fully expected it to be part of the final 'master level' expansion.

Having it actually be a menace, and especially the way it visibly chases you, is really cool!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
This variant is amazingly good.

Teeka wrote:
Awesome variant!

blush Yikes... Thanks for the kind words guys!! modest
I'm pretty satisfied with how this variant turned out as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmb
I.
Love.
It.

I have just played three (base) games with this.
Moving the pawn feels great, especially since it's much more enjoyable to touch than its plastic counterparts from the other games.
It's also amazing how the threat it poses can become stressfull rapidly.
I think he's part of the reason why I lost my first two games (so close!). With him coming rapidly towards me, I had to make sub-optimal moves by changing colours before completing a sequence, and that left me without green suns in these two games. I just coudln't afford going on discarding cards I didn't need, because he was going to meet me. And then, there were the nightmares.

I won the third game thanks to a prophecy which opened with a red door, for which I had a key in hand, a blue moon, which is the last card I needed to complete my sequence, a blue sun, and two nightmares. I only needed these two doors to win. Whew, that was fun.

I'm actually surprised this wasn't included in the game, as I can't figure a best way to thematically and mechanically use the Incubus pawn. Its official variant leaves a lot to be desired in both aspects, but this is perfecty in line with the rest of the game. So, really, congratulations again for posting this. And thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great variant! I just played and beat it on the easiest version.

As a bonus, it's an expansion that you can technically play with the app! You just have to keep in mind where the Haunt is, and resign when appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agner, I really like your "Boss Haunt" variant. I've been working on a no-reshuffle variant before joining BGG and wanted to share it eventually. I liked your variant so much that I wanted to include it in my rules. I ended up modifying your rules, slightly, with mine into a hybrid that I think is balanced and fun. I've done some play-tests, but need more samples to be sure. The only tweak I made was to remove the haunt's advancement after resolving a nightmare for game balance when combined with my variant.

I've been focusing on the base game to get a balance that I liked, and then plan to adapt it to the expansions.

Would you permit me to post the hybrid no-shuffle rules, with credits for the "The Haunt" portion given to you? I see there is a thread going for no-reshuffle variants as well so I probably would put it there, or upload as a PDF file. I don't have it written up yet, but wanted to ask first.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edmoonus wrote:
Agner, I really like your "Boss Haunt" variant. I've been working on a no-reshuffle variant before joining BGG and wanted to share it eventually. I liked your variant so much that I wanted to include it in my rules. I ended up modifying your rules, slightly, with mine into a hybrid that I think is balanced and fun. I've done some play-tests, but need more samples to be sure. The only tweak I made was to remove the haunt's advancement after resolving a nightmare for game balance when combined with my variant.

I've been focusing on the base game to get a balance that I liked, and then plan to adapt it to the expansions.

Would you permit me to post the hybrid no-shuffle rules, with credits for the "The Haunt" portion given to you? I see there is a thread going for no-reshuffle variants as well so I probably would put it there, or upload as a PDF file. I don't have it written up yet, but wanted to ask first.

Thanks!

Sure, go right ahead! Looking forward to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! I'm working on a rule file for upload...hopefully not too long from now. Will post a notice when it's up and ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Limbo on the Labyrinth" a no-reshuffle variant compatible with "The Haunt" and other 2nd edition expansions is available for download in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks like you could lose to the Haunt a lot faster now that it goes through doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moon
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is offset by the modification that the haunt does not advance when resolving nightmares unless a Key card is discarded. This reduces the randomness somewhat. Also, with the Limbo on the Labyrinth rules you end up playing more cards on the labyrinth and discarding less due to the modified rule for opening Doors using keys. Choosing when and where to open the first Door is important too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.