Zombie Dice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game ending rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I do understand how the game should end according to the rules. It seems fair that everyone should have an equal amount of turns in the game.

On the other hand it can cause a very anticlimactic ending of the game when the last player to take his/her turn reaches the 13 brain mark first. The game immediately ends after that turn. This can mean that a player to be the last one to play in a round can get a "cheap" win, by collecting only a few brains, without taking a lot of risks. Let's say 4 players play a game. One player is far behind in points (5), two players have just taken some risks and reached 12, and the last player to play is on 11 when his/her turn starts. That player only needs 2 brains to win and doesn't have to take a lot of risk at all. It feels like a cheap win to everyone I played this game with, as well as to me.

Almost everyone I played this game with, including the people who taught me how to play this game, told me that the ending of the game is more enjoyable and feels less like an anticlimax if everyone, except the player reaching 13 or more points and ending his/her turn without being shotgunned 3 times, gets one more turn to beat or equalize the current highest score.

My question is: This may be a house rule, but who is playing it this way and does he/she think it is a necessary rule? And who is playing it the official way and why does he/she think that it is better?

The reason I ask is that I want to know if I'm just one of few people who thinks the same way about the game's ending or not. Usually I wouldn't choose to play by house rules, because I don't think games aren't harmed that much by the official rules, but this is one of the exceptions to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a number of people (including me) have had an issue with the way the game ends and the advantage it gives to the last player. But just saying "everyone else gets one chance to beat the person who hits 13" is a bit too simple, because it gives a disadvantage to the last player, because they'll now get fewer turns on average than everyone else.

(If the first player hits 13 everyone else will get a chance to beat that, so everyone gets the same number of turns. But if the last player does so, everyone else gets one more turn than them.)

A clever solution to this was suggested in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
...and the last player to play is on 11 when his/her turn starts. That player only needs 2 brains to win and doesn't have to take a lot of risk at all...

That simply means that they were able to play the game better (EDIT: by skill or by luck...this is a dice game after all) *earlier* in the game. They have earned the option of not *having* to take a lot of risks late in the game.

0616william wrote:
It feels like a cheap win to everyone I played this game with, as well as to me.

I am perfectly fine with the rules as written. Equal turns is as fair as it gets. Although Last Licks from the link in Mark L's post sounds like it may be fun to try. However the "build up to 12 Brains and try to win in the Endgame session" seems like it would extend the game a little too long. It is intended to be a short, fun, quick filler after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hund
United States
Highland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that everyone gets one last turn once someone ends their turn at or above 13. Having a final round that is make or break adds a lot of fun and tension to the end-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
danhund wrote:
We always play that everyone gets one last turn once someone ends their turn at or above 13. Having a final round that is make or break adds a lot of fun and tension to the end-game.

Yes, maybe this is even better. I believe it's exactly the kind of ending that is used in games like Favor of the Pharaoh. As soon as someone triggers the end of the game, everyone will have one more turn, including the player triggering the end of the game. It's little different from how many people here play this, and the number of turns are always equal, if necessary.

However, I also understand the point of the others posts in this thread about "earning the cheap win". It's just anticlimactic, if it happens, and it does happen often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player 3: Yay, I got 13 brains, I win!
Player 2: No, wait, I get another turn to try to beat you.
Player 1: Yeah, me too! And I already have 12.
Player 2: Go ahead Player 1.
Player 1 rolls gets 3 brains
Player 1: Now I have 15 brains! I win!
Player 2: Not so fast, I still get my extra turn, and I had 11 brains.
Player 2 rolls and gets 5 brains.
Player 2: Now, I win! I have 16 brains!
Player 3: No, wait, you've all had one more turn than me, that's not fair!
Player 2: Well, it's because you got to 13 brains first.
Player 3: If I had known that, I would have stayed at 12 until someone else got 13 and then taken my last turn.
Player 1: Well, since Player 2 just got over me, I get one more turn to try to beat them!
Player 3: Yes, that's what I'm saying, I get another turn too!

Basically the game has no end now. Every time someone goes ahead of someone else, does everyone else get a change to try to beat them? Oh, wait, that's how the game is played. But you stop when the last player in the round is done.

The TL;DR version: I don't agree with the concept. The game is over when after a round or rolling someone has at least 13 brains and more than everyone else. That's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.