New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964371.html?categoryid=...

Short of it is: Three more shortened seasons (16 episodes each) that will run uninterrupted from Jan/Feb to May each year.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Short of it is: Three more shortened seasons (16 episodes each) that will run uninterrupted from Jan/Feb to May each year.

-MMM

Shew, that's in it for the long haul! I'll be there for 2010! Will they find the giant Diamond mountain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Shew, that's in it for the long haul! I'll be there for 2010! Will they find the giant Diamond mountain?

That's 2065.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

I hope with an actual end date in sight, they can start planning and revealing things with appropriate dramatic value. It's only been in the past five or six episodes this season in which this season has been really worth it.

I'm glad they aren't planning the fall mini-season again, because all it really did was try to quench the Lost fix people had. And when you try to quench a fix with nothing but a desire to quench a fix, it fails. It fails hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 more years?!! I don't know if I can make it that long. Hopefully this means there will be fewer meandering plot lines. I'm really sick of the show but I keep watching it because I have already invested time in the first three seasons. I wonder if the viewership will be patient enough to wait three more seasons as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I might have more insightful comments upon further reflection, but until then I will just laugh manically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Well, keep in mind that these seasons will only be 2/3 the length of any of the first three seasons. So by the end of this season's finale the show will be 60% done.

I reckon this was motivated either becasue:

a) the writers have two more season-ending-worthy cliffhangers to unleash before the series finale
b) ABC wants to release three DVD box sets rather than two
c) Both a and b

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict that the final episode will be the highest rated program in television history. What holds the record? Is it still the finale of M.A.S.H.? Prepare to get mashed, M.A.S.H.!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:
I predict that the final episode will be the highest rated program in television history. What holds the record? Is it still the finale of M.A.S.H.? Prepare to get mashed, M.A.S.H.!

Wow! Neither the Cheers nor Sienfeld season finales beat M.A.S.H. yet? That's astounding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed to have to wait 3 years to see final resolution. But then I thought - what news could they have come up with that would please me - pretty much nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the wind in the trees

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
Artaxerxes wrote:

Wow! Neither the Cheers nor Sienfeld season finales beat M.A.S.H. yet? That's astounding.

According to http://television.aol.com/feature/may-sweeps/photos-quizzes/...
Cheers finale had the most viewers 80.4 million. M*A*S*H a teeny 50.15 million.

*EDIT this is incorrect Cheers 80.4 million viewers... M*A*S*H 50.15 million households. I think that means M*A*S*H still holds the record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for two years. As much as I enjoy Lost I'd like it to be over sooner than later so I can have my life back. Still, having a clear end sight should make it a solid Bablyon 5ish show, and not awful x-files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Well, keep in mind that these seasons will only be 2/3 the length of any of the first three seasons. So by the end of this season's finale the show will be 60% done.

a) the writers have two more season-ending-worthy cliffhangers to unleash before the series finale
c) Both a and b

-MMM

d) The writers were able to negotiate something more manageable so that they could keep up a higher level of quality, having realized that the show suffered when rushed to air (e.g. the fall mini-season) or when "filler" episodes were created simply to kill time i.e. the 'Hurley and the Van' and 'The Annoying Couple gets Buried Alive' episodes. I personally hope this is closer to the mark, but either way I am along for the ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
I'm glad they aren't planning the fall mini-season again, because all it really did was try to quench the Lost fix people had. And when you try to quench a fix with nothing but a desire to quench a fix, it fails. It fails hard.

You're tellin' me. I foolishly watched the entire fall mini-season in one day. So other than that one day, it was a long time without Lost. Kinda killed the momentum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
CUTHALI0N wrote:
Octavian wrote:

c) Both a and b

-MMM

d) The writers were able to negotiate something more manageable so that they could keep up a higher level of quality, having realized that the show suffered when rushed to air (e.g. the fall mini-season) or when "filler" episodes were created simply to kill time i.e. the 'Hurley and the Van' and 'The Annoying Couple gets Buried Alive' episodes. I personally hope this is closer to the mark, but either way I am along for the ride.

My understanding is that the writers wanted two full (24 ep) seasons that would run without interruption, but ABC wanted three seasons. So they reached the 16-episode 3-season deal.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CUTHALI0N wrote:
d) The writers were able to negotiate something more manageable so that they could keep up a higher level of quality, having realized that the show suffered when rushed to air (e.g. the fall mini-season) or when "filler" episodes were created simply to kill time i.e. the 'Hurley and the Van'

Hurley and the Van was one of the best episodes this season. Yes, it didn't add much. But it was free from all of the overbearing-lack of questions. It was a refreshing breath of air which the islanders and the audience needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Hurley and the Van was one of the best episodes this season. Yes, it didn't add much. But it was free from all of the overbearing-lack of questions. It was a refreshing breath of air which the islanders and the audience needed.

ACK. Long-running series like this, *especially* if they're working towards a planned end, need a good mix between 'arc' episodes and 'filler' (I want another less-pejorative term there, but I can't think of one). Having absolutely *everything* that ever happens to anyone tie into the main plot stretches the suspension of disbelief; allowing characters to just live their lives occasionally enriches them.

B5 got this pretty much spot-on, IMHO. X-Files tried, sometimes hit, sometimes missed. Charmed made an interesting transition from being almost totally monster-of-the-week, to a good mix, to a heavily arc-driven should-have-been-final series, to the shark-jumping *actual* final series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
Charmed made an interesting transition from being almost totally monster-of-the-week, to a good mix, to a heavily arc-driven should-have-been-final series, to the shark-jumping *actual* final series.

You know, you just don't see enough Charmed analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this may be sacreligious to those Lost fans out there, but

ZZZZZZZ.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to hear this. It's nice to know there's an end in sight, so hopefully the writing will tighten up and I enjoy having something to look forward to at the end of each year.

It's like the Harry Potter series, it's agony to wait for each book, but fun when the book release gets close.

It will be sad when it's all over. But, I'm sure something else will come along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight's episode was awesome, but how are they going to bring Kate back to life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Tonight's episode was awesome, but how are they going to bring Kate back to life?

HAHAH...prick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:

Please tell me she took Jack with her!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.