Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a number of wargames that aren't getting played here and I doubt will sell or trade well. I was thinking of trying to donate them to servicemen overseas, schools, or prisons. Does anybody have any experience donating games to these sorts of places? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Natus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
I have a number of wargames that aren't getting played here and I doubt will sell or trade well. I was thinking of trying to donate them to servicemen overseas, schools, or prisons. Does anybody have any experience donating games to these sorts of places? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Natus

Nate, try checking with MMP. I recall them donating games to servicemen previously, so they may have some contacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Donating wargames & sundry
Check out locally for someplace that accepts "phones for GIs"-SENT within a 'stocking', and they included other 'sundries' needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Toot
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ping Carl Paradis; if I recall correctly, he's been donating a lot of games from his collection over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For dontating to the military, check with base libraries or recreational services departments. I know for a fact that a couple of the larger US Navy ships (carriers & big deck amphibs) have game libraries for the crew to borrow and play during free time.

For donations to schools, again, check with the libarian and student activities coordinator to see if they'd be interested, but you probably want to focus on introductory level fare. I moderate a table top games club at our local high school and occasionally bring in games from my own collection to teach the kids about wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nate,

For donating to the military you have a couple of options.

1. You could wait till members of BGG go down-range and then send them to those people to distribute.

2. Contact a local base and see if they have units deployed.

3. The American Legion and VFW sent packages to me and others while down-range.

4. contact the USO see if they can help

5. Chaplins on Military bases have networks to get items to the troops.

*my last deployment members of BGG sent me games and actually geekmailed auctions I bid on to pay for the games and shipping. This is a great community and we have many Service Men and Women as members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some schools have chess/game clubs. Simpler games are always appreciated due to time restraints for these clubs. But some schools may have afterschool programs that may accommodate the longer and larger games.

Another place to consider donating would be local hospitals. Ones near me have patient libraries made up of donated/abandoned books that can be loaned to in-care patients or even sold, second hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.