$30.00
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I'm working on a game where players will be rolling dice at cards, in the hopes of achieving some desired outcome. I am only using paper to this point with my prototype, but the "cards" keep shifting in place. I even tested this with some actual cards from another game.

The crux of the games involves 2 parts, which can prove a bit problematic:

1.) Like I mentioned, players will be rolling dice, one at a time, in the hopes of landing on cards - the card size I decided on using is the rounded square cards, like you'd see in power grid. The cards are shifting though. I'm looking at potentially passing by kickstarter and self funding/publishing this with a very small print run, then as things progress, keep turning those proceeds back into more units and eventually grow to larger print runs for lower costs. Because of this, I need to find a US manufacturer I think so I can do lower print runs. Why I'm mentioning this, is, ...

... Problem 2: if I'm needing to do lower print runs, almost 1-10, etc, as an example, who can I get to produce rounded square cards and the box (not tuck box - think telescoping box) / rulebook, etc. who is capable of producing a card with a finish that discourages shifting.

This leads into problem 3. If I want to reduce shifting of the cards, I at the same time, need the cards to be easily shiftable on a board.

If I can take a step back a bit and explain the bigger picture here...

The game I think needs a board, as I need to keep the cards in 3 x 3 grid that is easily discernible, so I'd have 9 spaces on the board to indicate where cards may lay. Cards will constantly be removed, added and shifted down to different locations on the board. I can't have it so that when someone goes to move cards, either the board moves, and I can't have it so when someone rolls dice, the cards shift.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cooney
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about a board with sleeves built into it? Similar to the ghost's screen in Mysterium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought. I'm afraid it would slow down gameplay though. And it may be expensive (but I don't know). I think the components have to be as vanilla as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
At Spielbany, we playtested some variants to Planetfall and concluded essentially the same thing that you've observed -- the cards just don't work; they get pushed around too easily.

One thing you might try is to switch the cards with chunky tiles. Additionally, if you have a board under them, and can make it out of mouse pad material, you might get good friction between the tiles and board surface that could hold up to dice bombardment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out the KS called Problem Picnic. I just saw Rahdo do a runthrough on this game. It involves rolling dice onto cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonkers303 wrote:
Check out the KS called Problem Picnic. I just saw Rahdo do a runthrough on this game. It involves rolling dice onto cards.

I may have to contact them to see what they plan on doing. I just watched the video, luckily different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the board blank for the dice, except for a printed grid, and whatever other design you want. And deal the cards in a 3x3 arrangement, next to the board-for-the-dice. Should be easy enough to see the relationship between the dice grid, and the separate cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.