Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Anderson
United States
Halifax
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a post about creating prototype cards, including a review of some perforated card stock I bought and some links to useful tools. Check it out if you're interested.

http://bluecubeboardgames.com/2016/10/04/prototyping-cards/

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Useful but what I do is, buy a stack of plain cards form Amazon. Use a print label template and stick my text and design (courtesy of google images) on there and print them off. That's it. It takes me half the time of the way you do it and the cards are already pre-cut for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Halifax
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So you print directly on the cards? What kind of printer do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Birkett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Both of your ways sounds like you get a nicer end result than mine. I simply buy blank cards on Amazon and sticky notes and I put the sticky notes on the cards and sleeve them. It doesn't take long and I can always change cards easily, but they are not visually appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Chris,
I read your post and I understand your frustration on making and cutting prototypes. It would be nice if we could make shuffle-ready cards but we are limited by what is available. For now I'm using copy paper in sleeves but I have some cover stock in the wings.

When you say 'I use a Mac so nanDECK isn’t really an option', do you mean that you can't set it up? Or is your Mac too old? I have a Mac using OS10.6.8, WINE and the current version of nanDECK. It took a bit of time to get used to the language but I find it to be a very good prototyping tool. Another application I use for prototypes is Scribus.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Halifax
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I read about the WINE install process didn't make me feel it was worth it. I may give it a try though. Thanks for reading and the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Halifax
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeving is still the best for shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra Magic cards and sleeves. 3x3 cards in Excel, print "Fit to Page". I'm only using a deck under 54 cards, and constantly adding and removing cards from the game, so this works for me. I also paint miniatures, so I'm the last person to talk about minimizing your prep and assembly time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: Card Prototyping - WINE
Hi Chris,
For WINE I went to MacUpdate, located WINE, downloaded the version I could use and used its installer. About as easy as it gets. In the beginning I was put off by the various webpages telling you how to install it.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Halifax
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'll have to give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how everyone has their own preferred way to prototype. I have a python script that generates card sheets based on an excel file, with all card templates in the excel file as well. But then actually printing them and cutting them out is the hard part. My first batch I used a slide paper cutter, and yeah it took my like 3 hours with my prototype to print and cut all of my cards on cardstock. They shuffle pretty well, and I corner cut them as well so they feel pretty good, but the cutting is very uneven and I don't think I would ever be able to get good enough at that to make it worth the time.

I don't know if I could go with perforated cards. The point of printing/cutting is to make them seem more like real cards then just throwing things into sleeves with magic cards, or using a sharpie to write on blank cards or note cards. Having that perforation leftover would weight on me more than the cutting errors I have now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Halifax
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick,

For evenly cut cards I recommend a guillotine paper cutter with a guide you can set. The one I used makes it easy to get uniform sizes. James Ernest has a great video about it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l0t6PBypahI

I should probably add that link to my blog post now that I think of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.