$15.00
$20.00
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I stumbled on a new copy of the 1st edition of MoM that I can get for $56. I have the 2nd edition.

I don't really understand what the 2 "figure and tile collections" do, in regards to the original base game and the 2 original expansions. Are they conversion kits? Do they give you all the stuff from the first edition games? If so, what's covered?

I know this is a good price for the 1st edition. I just don't know how much it'll be worth it to me as far as adding to the 2nd edition goes.

I'd love some advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good price, but unless you plan on actually playing the 1st edition, it's not worth it. You can buy the expansion that will give you the same pieces for less than $56.

The Recurring Nightmares expansion gives you all the tiles, figures and monsters you would get in the 1st edition game.

The Suppressed Memories expansion gives you all the tiles, figures and monsters you would get in the two 1st edition expansions (Forbidden Alchemy and Call of the Wild).

I should also add that for each of the 2nd edition expansions you own (or their corresponding 1st edition pieces), you get an additional scenario to play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:
So I stumbled on a new copy of the 1st edition of MoM that I can get for $56. I have the 2nd edition.

I don't really understand what the 2 "figure and tile collections" do, in regards to the original base game and the 2 original expansions. Are they conversion kits? Do they give you all the stuff from the first edition games? If so, what's covered?

I know this is a good price for the 1st edition. I just don't know how much it'll be worth it to me as far as adding to the 2nd edition goes.

I'd love some advice.

You get all the same stuff as the $50 (retail) priced expansion -- unless you're REALLY picky about markings on tiles, or really picky about the quality of the monster bases -- but with the ability to play 1st edition.

GRAB IT is my advice. I actually just recently picked up my second copy of 1st edition for about that price, and it took some work on my part (employee discount, a bit of travel to the right store, and so on).

If you go with the expansion, you'll get updated printing on the tiles (without line-of-sight dots and with indoor/outdoor indications).

If you go with 1st edition, you get far superior small figure bases (as in, ID tokens will actually stay in the hooks).

Which of these matters to is a matter of taste. They have already errated the printing on one of the tiles, so those weren't perfect anyway.

Again, I would MOVE at that price, but then I'm a 1st edition fan. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Hegarty
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The figure and tile collections are the tiles and figs from the first ed box from the expansions from the first edition (or close enough). I don't know if the first ed box is directly replicated by one of the boxes or if the content is mixed between the two figure and tile collections. If they are mixed then you'd have to pick both figure and tile collections to get all the figs and tiles if they are spread across the two figure and tile collections.
You can pick up one figure and tile collection for less than the $56 so its probably not worth buying this one first ed. There is a bunch of content which is not used in the first ed box unless you want to learn the first ed game and play it. Otherwise I'd keep to the figure and tile collections

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, gang. This clears things up a lot. If everything is covered by these newer, er, inspansions, or whatever, I'll just get those, eventually.

By the way, if anyone is looking for the 1st edition. I found it at Barnes & Noble. I was going to use my 10% membership discount with this weekend's 20% off friends and family coupon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Barnes and Noble can be good for finding these recently out of print titles. Mine still has a copy of Mansions of Madness 1e and Fury of Dracula 3e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee M
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
As stated the price is fair but unless you fancy the rule set of 1 vs many found in the 1st edition and would benefit from playing that way than there is little point in comparison with the newer expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.