Subject: The Most Powerful Character Combo Possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello fellow Andor enthusiasts,

This may seem obvious to some seasoned Andor players, but it has occurred to me (I am fairly new to this game) that possibly the most powerful character combination & setup in the base game is:

- a helm-equipped Warrior with a maxed-out dice pool (all 4 blue dice) combined with the Wizard's special power (needless to say, the Wiz should preferably always be equipped with the 3 Runestones). The Warrior can rise quickly in Willpower thanks to her/his special ability.

This setup makes the Warrior particularly powerful: when she/he casts his 4 dice, there are good odds that he will roll doubles, possibly triples (of the same value), and in group combat if the Wizard is at hand she/he can flip 1 of the Warrior's blue dice (blue 1s, 2s, or 3s), giving the Warrior better odds of ending up with triples, even 4 same-valued dice. If the Warrior has a Helm, she/he can add all the dice up, yielding a very high individual combat value (triples: 12/15/18, and however improbable as it may seem, up to 24! Even the Wiz can't beat that!)

And if the Warrior rolls none, or only low-value doubles, then at least the Wizard can use her/his special ability on her own Black die.

I would welcome your comments : has your experience shown this to be the case? Are there other character setups and/or combos that you like or think are especially powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Wizard + rune stones best in the base game, because you can count on hitting a 10 or 12 every time. The helmet is nice, but needs luck to work. I would give the Warrior a witch's brew as backup.

If you throw in the new heroes, the best combo (IMO) is Wizard + Water Spirit + witch's brew. The Wizard can make the water spirit die a 6 or 7, then double it to 12 or 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
chopkins828 wrote:
I like Wizard + rune stones best in the base game, because you can count on hitting a 10 or 12 every time.

Agreed!

chopkins828 wrote:
The helmet is nice, but needs luck to work. I would give the Warrior a witch's brew as backup.

Yes, luck is involved, but the odds are quite good over the course of a legend if the Warrior is wielding 3 or 4 of his blue dice, and it's nice that he can easily increase his dice-pool by gaining 5 WP every time he drinks at the wells.
A potion is handy, of course, but I think of them as something that is used on the odd occasion (to be saved for the final, big battle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
I like Wizard + rune stones best in the base game, because you can count on hitting a 10 or 12 every time.
I'm not sure, as I never played the Wizard myself. But I think, the opposite sides of the black dice are:
4/8
6/10
8/12
So the minimum will be 8, not 10, but you will get a +4 on every die turn, if you did not roll the higher side initially.
chopkins828 wrote:
The helmet is nice, but needs luck to work.
It won't work in all battle rounds, but with 5 dice and the support from the Wizard it will most likely pay off some times during a session. And it is quite cheap compared to a witch brew, especially if the later is not purchased by the Archer.

Also: if the Warrior rolls a 1 and at least one 6 and the Wizard can still turn his 1, he gains +6 with helmet. If he rolls a 2 and a 5, he can gain +5, which is still better, then the +4 from turning the black die. And if he rolls a 3 and a 4, he gains +4, equal to the turn of the black die. So it's better to turn it, if the Wizard is still to come to his/her turn, since the Wizard has a 50% chance of rolling one of the higher sides, in which case, the ability would be wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The black die is 6/10, 6/10, 8/12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah yes, you are right. That fits with the dragon, whose lowest result is a 10, if it rolls 6, 8 and 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Susumu wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:
The helmet is nice, but needs luck to work.
It won't work in all battle rounds, but with 5 dice and the support from the Wizard it will most likely pay off some times during a session. And it is quite cheap compared to a witch brew, especially if the later is not purchased by the Archer.

Glad to hear that we agree!

(P.S.: the Warrior can roll 4 blue dice at most)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure, you're right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.