Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Crew-Served US HMG has the GPF 12/9/7/4/2.

The Soviet 12.7mm NSV HMG and the US 12.7mm HMG of the M113A2 and of the M998 HMMWV all have the GPF 3/3/2/1/1. These values correspond with the GPF of other machine-guns or automatic-guns like an MMG (3/2/2/1/1), the 14.5mm gun of a BTR-80 (5/4/3/2/1) or the 25mm gun of a M2A1 Bradley IFV (7/6/5/4/3).

So, my question is: Are the values for the Crew-Served US HMG (12/9/7/4/2) wrong? If not, what is that for a "Über"-weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a 12.7mm machinegun, but the M240 7.62mm as depicted on the counter. It's listed as HMG to distinguish itself from the squad-level M249-type machineguns.

It uses the same nomenclature that was used in Panzer for that era's 7.62mm, 7.92mm and others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to be clear. I speak about the first type of unit on the data card UM-8B called "HMG".

Question 1: I just want to get it right: The GPF values for an attack with this single M240 machine-gun are 12/9/7/4/2? I ask, because it seems to me, that this weapon is overpowered compared to all the other machine-guns and automatic-guns.

Question 2: A US Section equipped with this HMG is able to make an attack with GPF 12/9/7/4/2. Is that right?

For example, the Soviet NSV HMG (data card SM-14A) can make only an attack with GPF 3/3/2/1/1.

Question 3: An unsuppressed US HMI Squad equipped with this HMG is able to make two attacks, one with its own weapons with GPF 10/8/6/4/2 PLUS one attack with the HMG with GPF 12/9/7/4/2. Is that right too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Please reference the Scale section on p3 of the Basic rules, "Leg crew-served weapons are grouped into sections of 2-3 HMGs, mortars, ATGMs, etc." Therefore, it isn't just 1 machinegun. On the otherhand, the Soviet NSV HMG is a single unit.

There aren't any examples listed in the included US TO&Es (Playbook p11-14) where the HMG is attached to US MI or HMI squads or half-squads. You, of course, may do whatever you want, but it wouldn't be correct to attach it in that manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay. Now I got it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.