Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Marley
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have 2 children who have just started into the Harry Potter universe. As they are still a bit young we have not gone past book three. While I don't mind if they see characters/villains or small snippets from later in the series, I'd prefer them to be exposed to the plot line through the books instead of playing the game. I know we could just play decks 1-3 but I'm interested in opinions of other on how much is really revealed through game play. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosher wrote:
I have 2 children who have just started into the Harry Potter universe. As they are still a bit young we have not gone past book three. While I don't mind if they see characters/villains or small snippets from later in the series, I'd prefer them to be exposed to the plot line through the books instead of playing the game. I know we could just play decks 1-3 but I'm interested in opinions of other on how much is really revealed through game play. Thanks!

The plot you won't get, but it gives away all of the villains... aka first deck has Quirrel as a villain, your kids will think he's a heroic teacher until the end of the book/film. Voldemort will be a dead giveaway in deck 4.

I think you're relatively safe, they stick pretty well with the books they're from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely wouldn't go to the final game. You're probably good to go to game 4, because I don't think Voldemort is a villain at that point. Barty Crouch Jr. is, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wickline
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have said, the villain cards may spoil some aspects of the story (e.g., Barty Crouch Jr.). I would also add that some of the dark arts cards depict crisis scenes from the movies, which could be spoilers (or at least pique someone's interest enough to ask about them).

With respect to the text on the cards, if you know the stories, the card text/effects are kind of clever. If you don't know the stories, however, I don't think the cards would spoil anything. For example, the polyjuice potion card allows you to copy the effect of another ally (i.e., character) played during your turn.

For the most part, the games match the books/movies, so you should be set to progress through the game as you read the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosher wrote:

I concur with those who came before.

Every box/year, new elements get opened up.

These cards spoil aspects of the story.

Every year has a new location deck, which modifies the "timer" for that year. The names of those locations could spoil some surprise.

Some of the Dark Arts Cards have depictions of characters before they are introduced, or of scenes that some may prefer to be kept as surprises.

You probably do not want to play 'just years 1-3' in the game, since the elements added in later years make the game more dynamic and interesting.

Spoiler Tag for some examples of specific spoilers I can remember.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Year 1

Professor Quirrel is a Villain.

Year 7

Make sure you really want to know.

Addition of the Horcrux Gameplay Element

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Year 4: Snape is an ally card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.