The Pursuit of Happiness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Actions (Stress) and Rule Differences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yul Beauchamps
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The day after my first game I wanted to re-read the rules to make sure we didn't miss anything. So I was reading the rules online and even though I don't have my physical copy right now I can tell there are some major differences. For example the rules I just read has no mention of doing a card action to upgrade an item/activity to a higher level despite it being in the rules at home. Heck I even noticed the 'Martial Arts' card in the images here have extra hourglass icons that mine at home doesn't. Which actually amounts to the same amount of 'time' if you play according to the one rule set. I'm aware that there was a reprint of the game after the original Kickstarter and if that accounts for those differences than I guess all I need are some clarifications.

My concern is around getting stress as it relates to card actions. Any other time it's pretty straightforward. You put a time marker on the same space during around you get a stress. However, with card actions it gets a little trickier because they have slightly different rules on how they are dealt with. Here is how I think it works and I'd love if somebody can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Projects

Group - The marker initially goes on the 'Take Project' space but then moves to the project card indicating what role in the project you are undertaking. This can be done up to twice by one player. No stress is incurred at all as long as you did not have a marker down on the 'take project' space as part of a different action. In fact it appears completely possible to take a group project first, then on your next turn choose a second role on said project and then with your next action take a different project (let's say a basic one) all without taking a single stress yet.

Single Round - Since these cards don't allow to be 'upgraded' there is no issue here as any markers used to acquire them are still on the 'take project' space.

Basic - When first acquired the marker is placed on the 'take project' action space. Then when leveling up the project you put a marker on the card. So in this case unless you get a different project card during the same round you only get stress if you use the card action on the same basic project more than once in the same round.

Items/Activity

Much like everything else the marker goes on the 'spend' action space and you take your item or activity and select the desired level. As a card action you can later upgrade the level (not repeat or go down). Much like basic projects you would only get stress if you got a whole different item/activity or upgraded twice.

Job

So technically you could use the get job action more than once in a turn (and get stress) but normally you would probably get a promotion or retire. The marker for this action is put in the 'spent time' space. You should never get any stress from promotions or retirement.

Partner

Even though you can upgrade your relationship with a partner during the same round you still need to put your marker on the 'develop relationship' space and thus would get stress.

This is how I understand the different card actions work. As far as I know we played it correctly however we did notice an oddity during our first play through. Granted one play isn't a solid indicator of all games but logically the strategy made sense. That is to say one player in our group completely ignored partners and jobs. He strictly stuck to projects and items/activity. This led to crazy efficient game play and a large lead over other players. In a game where you need to manage both time and stress that strategy makes sense. Perhaps there's a gotcha that I missed (hope so) otherwise it could be a game that ends up being one dimensional despite many choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get Stress if you take the same Board Action more than once in a round. You can use the same Card Action as many times in one round as you like without taking Stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yul Beauchamps
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
You only get Stress if you take the same Board Action more than once in a round. You can use the same Card Action as many times in one round as you like without taking Stress.

Oh wow...if that is case than it's even worse. It's not too terribly difficult managing stress plus it gives more credence to the no partner/job strategy mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:

Yes, p13 in the last line of first paragraph under Card Actions.

You also get stress if you the total number of Projects, Jobs and Partners in front of you is more than 3, 1 Stress for each one after the 3rd.

I haven't seen a runaway leader with just activities/items and projects but there can be some nice combos there for certain. I once had three projects where I would 'pay' for 1 and that gave me resources to pay for 2 which gave me resources that paid for 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:
Hawkeye75 wrote:
Even though you can upgrade your relationship with a partner during the same round you still need to put your marker on the 'develop relationship' space and thus would get stress.
That is incorrect. Advancing a relationship is a Card Action, which does not give stress. (Notice that the board space on the 2nd Edition board is titled "Start Relationship," not "Develop Relationship," so you only take the Board Action when you start the relationship.

So you could, theoretically, start a relationship and advance it all the way to Raising a Family in the same round without taking any stress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yul Beauchamps
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Also:
Hawkeye75 wrote:
That is incorrect. Advancing a relationship is a Card Action, which does not give stress. (Notice that the board space on the 2nd Edition board is titled "Start Relationship," not "Develop Relationship," so you only take the Board Action when you start the relationship.

So you could, theoretically, start a relationship and advance it all the way to Raising a Family in the same round without taking any stress.

Right, that is one of those differences that confused me. Like I said I don't have access to my current rules only what's online. I'll definitely have another read when I get back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.