Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone caught the rules regarding unique items/assets in the rulebook.

Specifically, if multiple players have the same unique ally card in their deck (e.g., Wendy and Agnes both have Leo De Luca), I'm assuming only 1 of them can actually play him? If the other play tries, does the first copy get trashed? Or are they simply unable to do so?

More basically, can multiple players play as the same investigator? I'm assuming not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The investigators themselves are marked as unique, which only really makes sense in the context to fold in "no duplicate investigators" into the uniqueness rules.

And since that's the only way THAT makes sense, the uniqueness rules must, at least, keep you from having two unique cards across different investigators.

We don't really know much else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely it will work like LotR does, where having one copy in play prevents a second copy from being played. But, we do not know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
There are slots that forbid you from playing second leo. There is only one ally slot. Other than that? I don't think that is a problem. I think leo can help both wendy and skids at the same time if both decks have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wonner
France
flag msg tools
I DO think it's a problem to have two Leo in play at the same time.
If we look at other LCGs, the uniqueness rule is for all players : only one unique card in play at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can't see it working any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a little star next to their names, which is FFG's usual way of signifying a unique card. They wouldn't have a special symbol if uniqueness was not going to have an in game effect.

That said I don't care too much about uniqueness across player decks (in a single deck I do think it should be enforced). In fact if they didn't enforce this type of rule it would make pick up games easier. The main reason it's hard to just have pick up games of LOTR is because of potential unique card overlap. I think it would be easy enough to wave away the thematic reasons for two players to have Leo in play as long as one player couldn't have two Leo cards in play. All that said we have no reason to believe the uniqueness rules will work any differenty than the ones in LOTR (only instances of a unique card name in play at a time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having NOT played a coop card game like LotR before, I actually like the idea of no unique cards overlapping. It prevents a handful of unique cards from becoming "meta" in the sense that everyone chooses the same ones. You CAN choose the same ones, but then you run the risk of not having it available when you need it. It might be better to use a lesser-seen card in your deck instead.

This leads to more deck variety which leads to more strategy which lead to more replayability and surprises. And I do so love surprises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
which is absolutely true (and I totally agree), but it does require more coordination, which is why OP can be tough for these co op games. So there are pros and cons. I'm pretty confident we'll get a rule just like LOTR to preserve the theme of the game and as you say promote deck diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a problem in LotR and it will be the same problem here. But the alternative opens up the way to balance problems. If FFG felt that a card required to be unique in order to prevent abuse, then I would not automatically think that it's OK to casually override that.

You either follow the rules as written, or if you replace them with house rules you must accept that this may cause problems which FFG is not responsible for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In LOTR card that are unique are not allowed with multiple players.
In Game of Thrones there can be same unique card in the different players.

So it can go in any direction. Rule-book will tell it eventually, but guessing is just guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, I was never suggesting you break the rules as written. I was just saying that if this game had relaxed rules for uniqueness across player decks (like the competitive LCGs do) then I wouldn't care. It would fix a problem LOTR had. You could always just agree among friends to play with stricter restrictions on deck building.

Since I'm confident that this will have the same exact rules as LOTR I kind of hope unique cards are rare or mostly assigned by scenarios. If unique cards are rarer that also would help solve the problem. LOTR has so many unique cards and many of them are staples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another feature that reduces the problem is that most Arkham Horror cards can be discard to aid icon tests, giving an alternate use to any unplayable unique cards you may draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
In LOTR card that are unique are not allowed with multiple players.
In Game of Thrones there can be same unique card in the different players.

So it can go in any direction. Rule-book will tell it eventually, but guessing is just guessing.

That's because one is co-op and the other is PvP. There is nothing wrong with the way LotR handles uniques except some player coordination prior to the game, which is a non-issue for solo play. There is no mechanical or thematic reason to think this game will be different when what they are doing in Rings works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Another feature that reduces the problem is that most Arkham Horror cards can be discard to aid icon tests, giving an alternate use to any unplayable unique cards you may draw.

One of my favourite aspects of this game. LotR uniques were useless unless you happend to have other card effects which were fueled by discards. With the skill icons on almost every card, no need to change decks if you play with more players, whoever gets the unique out first can use it, and the other copies can be discarded for their icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CastorJo wrote:
...If we look at other LCGs, the uniqueness rule is for all players : only one unique card in play at the same time.

A Game of Thrones, Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer Conquest and Warhammer invasion are all 'per player' not 'in play'.

(Note: I am not commenting on whether Arkham will or should be that way, just htat saying looking at other LCGs shows uniqueness is for all players is not true. It's about half and half.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official ruling from the RRG:

Quote:
Unique (*)
A card with the * symbol before its card title is a unique card. There can be no more than one instance of each unique card, by title, in play at any given time.
* A player cannot bring into play a unique card if a copy of that card (by title) is already in play.
* If a unique encounter card that shares a title with a unique player card would enter play, discard the player card simultaneously as the encounter card enters play.

So pretty much as expected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.