Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering which game is more mechanically sound. I prefer the StarCraft theme as I'm a bit burned out on Warhammer 40K imagery, but if FS plays better I might consider trading up to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
I'm just wondering which game is more mechanically sound. I prefer the StarCraft theme as I'm a bit burned out on Warhammer 40K imagery, but if FS plays better I might consider trading up to that.

While FS does a few minor things better, I feel starcraft does laps around this game. If you love starcraft more than FS, no brainer. Though expansion is required, and it isn't cheap.

IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft, especially if you own Brood Wars, is hugely better than FS. Even the core game is still better than FS IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. But you should maybe sell something else in your collection and get Forbidden Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
No. But you should maybe sell something else in your collection and get Forbidden Stars.

I was under the impression SC and FS were basically the same game with different theme/characters. But if they're two totally different games it might be worth having both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
SirHandsome wrote:

I was under the impression SC and FS were basically the same game with different theme/characters. But if they're two totally different games it might be worth having both.

I've not played Forbidden Stars, but that was the impression I had as well. I wonder if you'd get different answers posting in an FS forum instead of a StarCraft forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
SirHandsome wrote:

Not even the order system is 100% identical: SC has 3 types of orders (plus defence orders) FS has 4 (no defence) SC has gold orders, FS has faction specific order upgrades.

The build order is similar, though FS doesn't have base upgrades and instead has more different types of buildings. Buildings can be taken over by enemy factions.

Movement is different in that FS allows advancing from only one adjacent system (Speaking of adjacent systems: FS is a simple grid with no wrap, but warpstorms block different connections each round. Quite different from SC's system of only having certain systems connected and using Z-axis as well as needing transports to move between systems)

Research is slightly different since FS has upgrades that affect orders and the combat deck is quite different between the two games. E.g. no permanent hand of combat cards in FS.

Combat is totally different.

FS has no global event deck that acts as a clock. Each faction has their own event deck with unique cards. The game ends after 8 rounds if no one has enough objectives by then.

Victory is very different, SC requires that certain areas are held while FS requires you to pick up objectives after which the region can be abandoned again.
This one especially makes the games play quite differently.

EDIT: I own both and plan to keep it that way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like a spiritual successor. If you play Forbidden Stars, you can see the influence of Starcraft in its gameplay, but the differences also come to light pretty quickly. for me, the card driven combat in Starcraft is superior to the combat system in Forbidden Stars, and I like the theme better, but some people prefer the leaner gameplay and shorter play time of the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
FS is leaner and tighter, easier to teach, the combat is arguably better.
Everything else is done better in star-craft.
I own both, they are different enough to justify. If I could only keep one it would be starcraft.

So to answer your question, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think StarCraft is the better game - however,

If you are only going to play this game once per year and you can make $300 selling StarCraft, I don't think it is a terrible idea to sell SC and by FS.

You can have a lot of fun playing either game...If you have a lot of passion for 40k, that might be a enough to stick with forbidden stars.

You can't go wrong!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These comments have been really helpful. Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two games are even more different than most of the other replies let on. Forbidden Stars appeared like it might be a successor to Starcraft in the early previews because of the order stack but now that we have the finished products that's just about the only thing they ended up sharing.

But I really think the idea that FS is any sort of successor to SC (rather than just inspired) is commonly exaggerated because of first impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
I think the two games are even more different than most of the other replies let on. Forbidden Stars appeared like it might be a successor to Starcraft in the early previews because of the order stack but now that we have the finished products that's just about the only thing they ended up sharing.

But I really think the idea that FS is any sort of successor to SC (rather than just inspired) is commonly exaggerated because of first impressions.
On that note, why does the game page for SC keeps getting edited to say that it is reimplemented by FS?
As this thread clearly shows they are basically nothing alike beyond sharing one of multiple designers and using order stacks (which aren't even that similar once one looks closer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is is Starcraft getting played? If so, then keep it and enjoy it. If you have the people to play it, I think it is the superior game and has greater player count support.

If it is not getting played because it is difficult to teach to new players, then Forbidden Stars is a good proxy and is much simpler due to the streamlined tech tree, fewer units, and simpler deck-building/tech system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
The question is is Starcraft getting played? If so, then keep it and enjoy it. If you have the people to play it, I think it is the superior game and has greater player count support.

Hah, no, I honestly can't find anyone to play StarCraft with. However, the same would be true with Forbidden Stars. Everyone I know just wants to play Euro games or co-op games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Hah, no, I honestly can't find anyone to play StarCraft with. However, the same would be true with Forbidden Stars. Everyone I know just wants to play Euro games or co-op games.

Well I would say the following then. Both games play well with 2 so you only need to find 1 person to play with.

Starcraft is an extremely hard pill to swallow for new players, especially if you have the expansion and even more so if they are not familiar with the source material. FS on the other hand, while still a complex game, is much easier for new players to pick up and requires no knowledge of 40k. If you have any hope of finding someone to play with FS will give you significantly better odds of having it hit the table.

On top of that, FS has about half the shelf footprint so while you are busy finding a partner it won't take up so much room in your collection.

All that being said, FS is getting harder and harder to find at a reasonable price. On top of that, I think the demand for SC has gone down over the years (probably partially due to FS) so it might be difficult to sell for a decent price, especially considering how big and heavy the game is.

My advice would be if you can pick up FS and you are able to sell SC (or decide to just keep both), I would go that route. If not, maybe just hold on to SC and hope for the right partner or play group to come along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party, but having played both I would say hold on to Starcraft. Forbidden Stars does some things well, but it's big weakness is the combat - it takes forever to resolve. It creates a lot of downtime and absolutely killed our experience with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think combat is the one big thing that Forbidden Stars has Starcraft beat on. The combat takes longer than Starcraft but isn't that long when everyone is experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
I think combat is the one big thing that Forbidden Stars has Starcraft beat on. The combat takes longer than Starcraft but isn't that long when everyone is experienced.

Pfft. Starcraft is way quicker combat. And better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft combat is fine, but it's usually very predictable with experienced players. You already know which skirmishes are winnable and which ones aren't. Sometimes you have to guess whether they'll play their max value on Skirmish A or Skirmish B, or which spell they'll use, but it's still rather routine.

The reason Forbidden Stars combat is better is because it has more depth and MIND GAMES. Mind games exist in Starcraft combat but it's pretty uncommon.

In Starcraft it's mostly preparing for combat ahead of time (hand management, unit composition, researches, module, etc) that's the actual interesting part. SC combat has strategy but not much in the way of tactical gameplay.

Forbidden Stars is basically a combat game. The combat system dominates everything else. So if you don't like the combat system, there's no point in the game, that's true. But it's maybe the best combat system of any game I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.