Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Game that popped into my head in bed last night. Let's call it Curl. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This one is related to my game Coil. It's strongly asymmetric but with equal chances for each player.

A game for two players, played on a hexhex7 board with an unlimited number of white stones and exactly 57 black stones.

-----------------------------
Players take turns. On your turn, place a stone of your color onto any empty space.

Black (and Black only) may choose to pass instead of placing a stone.

If Black runs out of stones, White continues to play until the board is full.

If one player forms a loop of her color, that player wins

If the board fills without a loop having formed, Black wins

-----------------------------

Adjust the number of black stones to adjust the balance. 57 is just a guess for hexhex7.

You could also start the game with a descending bid to determine who plays Black, starting at 63.

Black will be mostly playing to prevent White loops (with the occasional sneaky loop threat), and White will be trying to form loops.

I can't fully vouch for this, as I've not played it or even thought about it much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds solid enough still, it would feel somehow maybe more natural if the bidding was a part of the game and not something that had to be done before the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Sounds solid enough still, it would feel somehow maybe more natural if the bidding was a part of the game and not something that had to be done before the game.

That's exactly what Coil is. uses Unlur chicken ballot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah my bad plenty of abstracts I don't know I guess.

I would enjoy this game the most if the designer had already come up with a number which seems balanced, but I guess that is the hard part.

There does not seem to be that many really assymmetric abstracts (at least without bidding). Hippos & Crocodiles comes to mind but even there, the players have the same win condition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
There does not seem to be that many really assymmetric abstracts (at least without bidding). Hippos & Crocodiles comes to mind but even there, the players have the same win condition

Linkage is another interesting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.