Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
Midnight is a character I had made for one of my friends who wanted something based on him and his art. So I designed a vampire ninja hero since the official game does not really have any monster heroes, aliens aside, and a martial artist who is more about special techniques instead of styles like Mr. Fixer. He is designed to be very assassin feeling while being a little self sufficient as he heals from dealing damage.

*Bio
Several hundred years ago, there was a clan of ninjas residing the hills of Japan, used to remove threats to the daimyo. They have been around for generations, using amazing special techniques from the shadows. A threat arose to the daimyo, a group of beings terrorizing peasant villages. He dispatched his best ninjas to end the threat. Little did he know that these beings were vampires from the Blood Countess, come to start a new home in the east. Only one came back, received by the daimyo for his success. But not all was as it seemed as he did not come back as he left. Infected with Vampirism, the ninja known as Midnight lost control and slaughtered all in the room but the daimyo. Ashamed of his loss of control, he fled. Over the next several centuries, Midnight honed his skills with his new abilities and worked hard to control his bloodlust, feeding only on the villains of the world. One night, while making his way through a city in America, he came across a man being assaulted by a gang of hoodlums. As he quickly made his way to the man, he stopped short as all of the gang members were knocked out and the man stood there smiling at him. Looking at Midnight he simply said, "I could use a man like you."

Hero: Midnight
HP:22
Base Power: Quick Bite
-Deal 1 melee damage to a non-hero target. Gain 1 HP

Incapacitated
-Discard the top card of a deck
-A player may play a card
-Destroy target equipment

Equipment, Limited (Qty:3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Clan Katana (Qty:3)
-Power: Midnight deals 1 target 2 irreducible melee damage

One-Shot, Technique (Qty:14)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st Technique: Wind Slash (Qty:4)
-Midnight deals 1 target 3 sonic damage

6th Technique: Quietus Strike (Qty:3)
-Destroy a target with 3 or less HP

8th Technique: Nerve Lock (Qty:3)
-Midnight deals 1 target 1 melee damage. That target cannot deal damage until your next turn.

9th Technique: Quick Step (Qty:4)
-Midnight deals up to 3 targets 1 melee damage
-Reduce the next damage dealt to Midnight by 1.

One-Shot (Qty:15)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bloodlust (Qty:3)
-Midnight deals 1 target 2 melee damage.
-Gain 2 HP

Master of Secret Arts (Qty:3)
-Look through your deck and trash for a Technique card and put it into play.
-Shuffle your deck

Vampiric Speed (Qty:4)
-Draw 1 card
-Play 2 cards

Might of the Nosferatu (Qty:2)
-Midnight deals 1 target 3 melee damage. If that target is destroyed this way, increase the next damage dealt by Midnight by 3.

Weapon Jam (Qty:3)
-Destroy target ongoing card.
-Target villain character deals itself 2 sonic damage

Ongoing, Limited, Technique (Qty:2)
3rd Technique: Swap (Qty:2)
-When Midnight would take 4 or more damage, redirect that damage to the non-hero with the lowest hp. Then Destroy this card.

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:4)
Insatiable Hunger (Qty:2)
-Whenever Midnight damages a target, Gain 1 HP

Last Drop (Qty:2)
-Whenever a non-hero drops to 0 or lower HP, Midnight gains 1 HP

Ninja Vanish (Qty:2)
-After a technique card is played, you may move 3 technique cards from the trash to the bottom of your deck. If you do, Midnight becomes immune to all damage until your next turn and cannot deal damage until your next turn.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated. This is the third hero of the series I am creating. My artist is pretty busy so no art yet. Always looking for a new artist if anyone is interested.

(Edit Notes)
-Fixed Swap by adding in Destroy after use.
-Fixed templating issue
-Changed Master of Secret Arts from "into hand" to "into play"
-Reduced damage to Bloodlust for balancing
-Added ability to Might of the Nosforatu for more of thematic feel to the deck.
-Reduced Quantity of Might of the Nosforatu and Bloodlust by 1.
-Added Ninja Vanish to deck.
-Removed unnecessary wording
-Fixed Nerve Locks ability.
-Fixed Might of the Nosforatu as to Adelphophage's suggestion.
-Changed wording on Ninja Vanish to help with order of operation.
-Changed Weapon Jam to not have equipment destruction and to deal damage to represent the destruction of something essential on a villain.
-Reworded Shadow Cut to Quick Step to give a better description of ability, as well as added another ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Re: Custom Hero - Midnight
I like the concept overall, a pretty straightforward damage dealer, with a fair bit of self healing as well. Low HP, but given he could easily be gaining 3-4 HP a turn could be pretty tanky. Insatiable hunger is nice, and Last Drop is a really clever design.

At first impression, it seems like there is a fair bit of redundancy in the deck - for example Wind Slash, Bloodlust and Might of the Nosferatu (11 cards between them) are all deal a single target 3-4 damage and gain 0-2 health.

Master of Secret Arts seems a little underpowered compared to other search cards - you have to wait a whole turn to actually play the card in question so it really slows you down. Maybe if it put the card in play?

Swap is fantastic, maybe even broken - unlimited Synaptic Responses for the rest of the game? Should at very least probably be first time each turn, and even then it's still pretty amazing.

Someone may have said this before, but for proper templating all the damage cards should say "Midnight deals X targets Y melee damage..." rather than just "Deal X targets Y melee damage..."

I really like Vampiric speed, a clean little card that lets Midnight have some pretty great turns!

Thematically, looking the cards alone, I get the vampire-ness shining through pretty strongly with the card names and HP gain, I don't get a huge feeling of ninja though - all the cards seem pretty straightforward murder machines, not much tricksy hiding-in-the-shadowsness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
I like the concept overall, a pretty straightforward damage dealer, with a fair bit of self healing as well. Low HP, but given he could easily be gaining 3-4 HP a turn could be pretty tanky. Insatiable hunger is nice, and Last Drop is a really clever design.

At first impression, it seems like there is a fair bit of redundancy in the deck - for example Wind Slash, Bloodlust and Might of the Nosferatu (11 cards between them) are all deal a single target 3-4 damage and gain 0-2 health.

Master of Secret Arts seems a little underpowered compared to other search cards - you have to wait a whole turn to actually play the card in question so it really slows you down. Maybe if it put the card in play?

Swap is fantastic, maybe even broken - unlimited Synaptic Responses for the rest of the game? Should at very least probably be first time each turn, and even then it's still pretty amazing.

Someone may have said this before, but for proper templating all the damage cards should say "Midnight deals X targets Y melee damage..." rather than just "Deal X targets Y melee damage..."

I really like Vampiric speed, a clean little card that lets Midnight have some pretty great turns!

Thematically, looking the cards alone, I get the vampire-ness shining through pretty strongly with the card names and HP gain, I don't get a huge feeling of ninja though - all the cards seem pretty straightforward murder machines, not much tricksy hiding-in-the-shadowsness.
All very good suggestions and thank you. I was going more of an anime meets true ninja feel which is the special techniques along with actually focusing on the kill directly. Could tweak some of the damage cards a bit. Any suggestions? And I have also taken your other suggestions into account and adjusted the deck. Thank you for those. Also any suggestions for a more ninja feel? Any and all are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Just a couple of wording issues.

For hero cards you don't have to specify "non-hero targets" unless it's an AOE that you don't want to hit the heroes.

When specifying a number of targets it's best to say "up to X targets" otherwise if there isn't that many available targets in play where does the extra damage go? Unless it's a "if there aren't enough targets in play hit your aliies type card", which might be appropriate for some decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the input. I have adjusted the deck as well as my other ones. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Nerve Lock: Targets don't destroy cards, so the second part of the effect isn't doable.

Weapon Jam: Is there a reason for this to destroy Equipment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The changed Might of the Nosferatu is still a bit weak - as it is a one shot you're only likely to get your base power with the bonus (Vampiric Speed aside, admittedly).

Maybe to tie in with Vampiricity, something like...
Might of the Nosferatu.
Midnight deals a target 3 melee damage. If that target is destroyed this way, increase the next damage dealt by Midnight by 3.

In a deck with a lot of damage dealing one-shots you want to give some situational options, otherwise a hand full of cards that all deal some damage ends up being not that interesting to play. This would be better sometimes, weaker others, and the flavour makes sense - plus as you're generally going to whack someone with your base power, you won't have to remember your +3 damage for long.

Ninja Vanish seems cool, I like the idea of having to get rid of trash cards so you can't just use it over and over. I'm a bit unclear on how it is timed though - if I play a Wind Slash and trigger Vanish, does the Wind Slash itself fall afoul of not being able to deal damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would be after, I will have to word it to fix that issue. Love the idea for Might of the Nosforatu. Will change it to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.