Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Any word on a new version being re-printed to correct issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read here, the game sounds like a total mess, with there already being errata for cards and the manual being terrible.

My copy is arriving today, and there is a re-print planned to correct these issues, I'd rather send my copy back right away and wait for the next version.

Anyone hear anything?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a total mess. 1 card has been errata. Complaints about balance is super common in asymmetrical games.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
From what I've read here, the game sounds like a total mess, with there already being errata for cards and the manual being terrible.

My copy is arriving today, and there is a re-print planned to correct these issues, I'd rather send my copy back right away and wait for the next version.

Anyone hear anything?


The rulebook is fine. There is one skill card that causes an imbalance at 2 and 3 player games, but if you don't use it you'll have a great experience.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. It's much like how people talk smack about Chaos in the Old World, if you don't know how to counter some types you get roflstomped and it feels imbalanced.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
It's not a total mess. 1 card has been errata. Complaints about balance is super common in asymmetrical games.


Which card has an errata fix? Might be playing a 3-player tonight!
TK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
It's not a total mess. 1 card has been errata. Complaints about balance is super common in asymmetrical games.


That's good to here.

So just an example of people here not understanding the rules?

Which card has the errata?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
It's not a total mess. 1 card has been errata. Complaints about balance is super common in asymmetrical games.


That's good to here.

So just an example of people here not understanding the rules?

Which card has the errata?


The card is the Human Skill Scouting. The errata for it is in the Official FAQ in the file section.

The errata does not fix the card however, and I recommend not playing with it for optimum enjoyment, especially in your first few games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
From what I've read here, the game sounds like a total mess, with there already being errata for cards and the manual being terrible.

My copy is arriving today, and there is a re-print planned to correct these issues, I'd rather send my copy back right away and wait for the next version.

Anyone hear anything?


Sorry you're frustrated/wary. This a big game. It's a complex game. We're trying to support the community with:

- Watch it Played rules video
- Four Watch it Played game videos
- Official FAQ, and unofficial ones to boot
- A full Skill/Structure FAQ is being edited
- Writing strategy guides on every faction

Plus, I read every post that has my name or Cry Havoc on it to help with questions.

Hope that helps.
26 
 Thumb up
2.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found the manual to be pretty good and the game solid fun. I don't see any messes here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
It's not a total mess. 1 card has been errata. Complaints about balance is super common in asymmetrical games.


True, it doesn't look like a total mess.

There are however setups (2-3 player games involving Humans/Machines) for which the statistical data so far doesn't look good. Actually, there are setups where people still find it near impossible to win using certain factions against certain others.

The publisher has hinted that this won't be an issue, once strategy-oriented content will be released. Until then though, I'd hardly classify complaints on Cry Havoc as "common complaints about assymetrical games". It could very well prove to be the case, but it remains to be seen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
D_Davis wrote:
From what I've read here, the game sounds like a total mess, with there already being errata for cards and the manual being terrible.

My copy is arriving today, and there is a re-print planned to correct these issues, I'd rather send my copy back right away and wait for the next version.

Anyone hear anything?


Sorry you're frustrated/wary. This a big game. It's a complex game. We're trying to support the community with:

- Watch it Played rules video
- Four Watch it Played game videos
- Official FAQ, and unofficial ones to boot
- A full Skill/Structure FAQ is being edited
- Writing strategy guides on every faction

Plus, I read every post that has my name or Cry Havoc on it to help with questions.

Hope that helps.


Cool, thanks! Game arrived today, will keep, and will play this weekend.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few games so far, at 2 and 3 players. Humans are winless so far.

I completely agree with James. Just don't allow scounting in 2-3 game. It's not like it's a change or hurts them. It just 1 of several special powers they might get anyways.

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not a total mess at all my friend. The rules could have explained more detail. I know that Portal likes to have Rodney Smith do rules videos and i have great respect for Rodney and Portal. I just hope Portal isnt doing these videos in order to do less than thorough rule books.

Anyways... Between the Faq i added to the files section and the official faq (theyre both quick to read) it should answer almost all questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Forbes
United States
Carmel/Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.


Totally agree, I've played the machines 4 times, determined to figure them out. The last few games I've come around 15 points of the winner using Firepower and Transform efficiently. However, it always seems either the Humans or Trogs shave a game round and then the game is between those two factions. With 5 full rounds, the Pilgrims and the Machines could catch up and make the scoring very close with the full amount of rounds. Having a 10 point lead should not be enough to shorten the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rf6971 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.


Totally agree, I've played the machines 4 times, determined to figure them out. The last few games I've come around 15 points of the winner using Firepower and Transform efficiently. However, it always seems either the Humans or Trogs shave a game round and then the game is between those two factions. With 5 full rounds, the Pilgrims and the Machines could catch up and make the scoring very close with the full amount of rounds. Having a 10 point lead should not be enough to shorten the game.


I've found, by removing the rule of shortening the game and playing a full 5 rounds regardless, that even then the Machines and Pilgrims can't catch the leader player, if they are playing well. I assume this is why the rule exists to begin with. But, I do agree both Pilgrims and Machines have huge fifth rounds if played well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
rf6971 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.


Totally agree, I've played the machines 4 times, determined to figure them out. The last few games I've come around 15 points of the winner using Firepower and Transform efficiently. However, it always seems either the Humans or Trogs shave a game round and then the game is between those two factions. With 5 full rounds, the Pilgrims and the Machines could catch up and make the scoring very close with the full amount of rounds. Having a 10 point lead should not be enough to shorten the game.


I've found, by removing the rule of shortening the game and playing a full 5 rounds regardless, that even then the Machines and Pilgrims can't catch the leader player, if they are playing well. I assume this is why the rule exists to begin with. But, I do agree both Pilgrims and Machines have huge fifth rounds if played well.


It just seems like a silly rule for a not very long game to begin with. It's like a mercy rule or something, but it's not needed at all. If I'm down, I want to try to climb out of it. Not get "Game Over" early.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
rf6971 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.


Totally agree, I've played the machines 4 times, determined to figure them out. The last few games I've come around 15 points of the winner using Firepower and Transform efficiently. However, it always seems either the Humans or Trogs shave a game round and then the game is between those two factions. With 5 full rounds, the Pilgrims and the Machines could catch up and make the scoring very close with the full amount of rounds. Having a 10 point lead should not be enough to shorten the game.


I've found, by removing the rule of shortening the game and playing a full 5 rounds regardless, that even then the Machines and Pilgrims can't catch the leader player, if they are playing well. I assume this is why the rule exists to begin with. But, I do agree both Pilgrims and Machines have huge fifth rounds if played well.


It just seems like a silly rule for a not very long game to begin with. It's like a mercy rule or something, but it's not needed at all. If I'm down, I want to try to climb out of it. Not get "Game Over" early.


Completely agree, it is a silly rule. I personally prefer playing without it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
rf6971 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.


Totally agree, I've played the machines 4 times, determined to figure them out. The last few games I've come around 15 points of the winner using Firepower and Transform efficiently. However, it always seems either the Humans or Trogs shave a game round and then the game is between those two factions. With 5 full rounds, the Pilgrims and the Machines could catch up and make the scoring very close with the full amount of rounds. Having a 10 point lead should not be enough to shorten the game.


I've found, by removing the rule of shortening the game and playing a full 5 rounds regardless, that even then the Machines and Pilgrims can't catch the leader player, if they are playing well. I assume this is why the rule exists to begin with. But, I do agree both Pilgrims and Machines have huge fifth rounds if played well.


It just seems like a silly rule for a not very long game to begin with. It's like a mercy rule or something, but it's not needed at all. If I'm down, I want to try to climb out of it. Not get "Game Over" early.


Completely agree, it is a silly rule. I personally prefer playing without it.


Just to play devil's advocate. Perhaps is a balance thing. The humans usually seem to jump out to an early lead, while the machines and pilgrims come on strong at the end. Perhaps its to help balance the humans weak late game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game, liked it, and only had a few minor questions.

Like most of the time, I should not have listened to the complainers here at BGG.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:
jmathias wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
rf6971 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

As far as underpowered machines. I don't feel that way at all. I do feel however they need 5 rounds instead of 4, because they get going slow. I don't understand why they shortened the game if someone bursts points. I believe Ignacy said it's so if someone is running away with it, it ends the game sooner. In my limited play, Machines have had massive 5th rounds. So little confused on that.


Totally agree, I've played the machines 4 times, determined to figure them out. The last few games I've come around 15 points of the winner using Firepower and Transform efficiently. However, it always seems either the Humans or Trogs shave a game round and then the game is between those two factions. With 5 full rounds, the Pilgrims and the Machines could catch up and make the scoring very close with the full amount of rounds. Having a 10 point lead should not be enough to shorten the game.


I've found, by removing the rule of shortening the game and playing a full 5 rounds regardless, that even then the Machines and Pilgrims can't catch the leader player, if they are playing well. I assume this is why the rule exists to begin with. But, I do agree both Pilgrims and Machines have huge fifth rounds if played well.


It just seems like a silly rule for a not very long game to begin with. It's like a mercy rule or something, but it's not needed at all. If I'm down, I want to try to climb out of it. Not get "Game Over" early.


Completely agree, it is a silly rule. I personally prefer playing without it.


Just to play devil's advocate. Perhaps is a balance thing. The humans usually seem to jump out to an early lead, while the machines and pilgrims come on strong at the end. Perhaps its to help balance the humans weak late game?


that's exactly it, isn't it? Troggs and Humans want to play fast and furious to get as many points early as possible to make the game shorter. It's a great mechanism. The Machines and Pilgrims need to work together at first to prevent the Hamans and Troggs from running away with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.