GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,742 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: after game #3 [spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Well, I won.

And now I've had what I read in other threads is one of the defining experiences of this game, which is to say the feeling that an early win is at best a mixed blessing -- I'll start game 2 (the first with ship-to-ship raiding!) with no adviser and a target on my back.

My hope is that my appellation "The Wise" may be one that suits a winner well -- it lets me double-pick advisers, so it may help me bounce back from my starting disadvantage as "prince" and allow me to continue going straight for the win each time rather than hanging back as other players may feel they have to.

The rest of the group (there were just three of us this time -- four on the weekend) complained that my win felt "abrupt" and "anti-climactic", which I choose to interpret as mostly bitterness that I snuck up on them. I think that in future games, awareness that the game-ending glory score is never all that far off will generate more of sense of endgame tension, colluding against the front-runner, etc., so the winner won't just pop up out of nowhere the way I did (like a ninja!) the first time out.

That said, the game is short. For such a grand enterprise, I was suprised myself to see the game last hardly more than an hour. That too may change in future games as new mechanics are revealed and turns become more involved, but for now it's pretty short and sweet. In fact, we decided to just leave the game set up and try our second game tonight rather than holding off for a weekend marathon as we'd planned.

And if it's not clear -- we like it. We were among those swept up in the hype (encouraged by a blissful season of Pandemic Legacy last year) who have been more and more dismayed by the negative buzz online since pre-ordering. But so far it's great! Whether the shine will wear off by game 6 I don't know, but to me it seems a strong, medium-weight game with enough meat to it to be interesting but not all that elaborate or rules-heavy.

And I'm enjoying the writing that Quinns at SUSD was so slighting about. I'm genuinely curious about the hints being dropped about "ancients" -- Cthulhu? Pre-apocalypse humanity? I know I've glimpsed an octopus icon, what does that mean? And I've put a truly absurd amount of thought into naming my ships/leader/culture etc. So unless I become embittered tonight by the backlash against me in game 2, I think I'm pretty much in it for the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: after game #1 [spoilers]

Thanks regrettably

I am glad you are enjoying the game and congrats on the victory!

Buying two Advisors at once sounds cool

I, for one, am in no hurry for anything to come out

Let the story develop super slowly . . . that's ok with me

Why hurry up the wonderful experience of playing board games with your friends?

If anything, hurry up the clock during work time sounds so much better

I wonder what it is with so many players who need quicker games and more excitement right away from a game like Sea Fall? You are with your friends - enjoy the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just surprised that you were able to finish the game in about an hour... That to me is the amazing part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
We're an outlier then? Even for game 1? I'm not including setup.

It was short in terms of seasons as well -- we only got a couple of rounds into our second year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Re: after game #2 [spoilers]
Well, I didn't win, but I'm still the Prince. The worst possible outcome, gosh darn it!

I also didn't get to discover a single island, while the other players got three between them.

Feeling somewhat resentful going into game #3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought the winner of the individual game
always took the Prince/Princess title
for the next game

Is that incorrect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titles are given based on campaign total glory, not individual game glory. See page 21. :-)

This has happened a good bit in our games the leader in campaign glory has only one game but has been the Prince most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Matt

I re-read page 21 and sure enough . . . .

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
In game #3 our fourth player joined us for the first time, and ... the game is no longer a quick one. In fact we took more than three hours to finish, rule-debates and smoke breaks included. Of course our new player was learning everything on the fly, but I don't think the campaign will be returning soon to the zippiness of games 1 and 2, especially as we've just opened another box of new cards. actually we decided to open it in the morning, having ended at one a.m. Because, worn out as we are, we've all agreed to start game #4 right after breakfast

We still haven't found a Tomb of the Ancients, though I'm guessing that they are the sites marked with skulls and a defense value of 12 -- we'll soon find out! And yes, I'm still the damn Prince, but I can't be all that mad to have been in the lead for three games running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.