Subject: new gamers looking for great games for 2 anf four players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Osborne
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all,

first time poster. My wife and I just started boardgaming.

We own Pandemic, 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, Ticket to Ride, and Shadows over Camelot. Really enjoy them all. We mostly play each other, but on occasion my adult children or friends want to play. So we are looking for game suggestions that play well for 2 and for 4 players.

Pretty open thematically... and also wondering about top 10 games like Scythe, Star Wars Rebellion, etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

JC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oh boy ... many, if not all, of people here were once in your shoes ... you might slip into that vicious cycle of buying way too many new games

i might recommend for 2-4 players and relatively newer gamers (in approx order of complexity of game, first being least complex):

Carcassonne (with Inns and Cathedrals expansion, then Traders and Builders too)
Port Royal
Dominion
Istanbul
Five Tribes
The Castles of Burgundy
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Steam Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find your region in https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/82/boardgamegeek/game-gr... and see if there any other gamers nearby.

Much better to try a bunch of games that way, figure out what you do or don't like.

The other option is to try and find a reviewer that matches your taste in games.

My actual suggestion would be Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes
Thurn and Taxis
Lords of Waterdeep
Hey, That's My Fish!
Sushi Go!
Splendor
Elysium
Snow Tails / Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Wyatt Earp

I really like Scythe, but it's a more complex game than the ones you've been playing. Y'all might really like it but you might want to check out Rodney's Watch It Played to get a good idea of how it plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I was going to say Castles of Burgendy too!

I'll add the games from my collection we enjoy playing two and four player and that I believe scale well.

Quadropolis - perfect scalable game and very similar weight to Ticket to Ride. Plus, it has an easy and a hard version. We enjoy both.

The Grizzled with The Grizzled: At Your Orders! - a must with the expansion! 2-player with a dummy hand, but works really well!

Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America - one of my all time favorite games that really plays well as two player. Get the delux version, the two player rules are great!

Finally... Railways of the World - oh my! We love this game. Small map for two players and large map for 4. Not the easiest game to jump into, but well worth the effort learning.

Good luck on your quest!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, I bought quite a few that we ended up hating until I worked out what makes me like or dislike a game so playing with others would be really useful if there is a group local to you. Or you could try and buy some second hand cheap so it's not so costly a mistake. I've found watching the video plays/run throughs that you can find on these listings realy useful in trying to determine if a game is something I like, If I carry on watching til the end, I buy, If I switch off, I don't lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Osborne
United States
California
flag msg tools

Thank you all for you suggestions. Lots to choose from. I'm also lucky to have joined a local boardgaming group. There's a meeting this weekend and will be asking players there for their suggestions, and maybe play some of your suggestions.

Appreciate all the quick responses!

Thanks a lot!

JC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like you have a good start to your collection. These are some more highly rated gateway games for 2-4 players.

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Splendor
Takenoko
Forbidden Island
Can't Stop
Coloretto
Hanabi
PitchCar
Alhambra
Dominion
Hey, That's My Fish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Tekimam
msg tools
publisher
If you like coop games (with a bit of a theme, story, and great art). I recommend Mice and Mystics. I had a great time playing Mice and Mystics with my friends.

If you want a light but competitive game (and you don't mind if you wait for a few months) there's this kickstarter Oh My Sheep! that's going on right now.Here is the link to Oh My Sheep's kickstarter page.

ps One of my jobs is to promote their game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.