Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Rules

Subject: Not much consequence for losing a duel. Why fight back? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Caram
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm not sure why I would spend influence or show my poker card to defend myself against an attacker. If a wounded posse can still compete for the Winners Pot d and also buy the building card at the location, there doesn't seem to be much of a penalty for losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're fighting over the instant reward, there probably isn't. But there certainly can be if you're fighting over the bigger delayed reward. Or over the ability to modify your cards from the sheriff's office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It comes into play for non-immediate effects where your Posse has to be standing at the Resolution or Buy Phases...then you fight if you really need that bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hill
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are wounded after a duel (you lose the duel ),you can still play in the poker hand and win the 'winners pot'. HOWEVER you DO NOT get the reward of the 'resolution side'of the influence spot, meaning that you could lose 2 vital resources.

Also remember that the owner of the 'wanted card' gains an extra resource at the beginning of the resolution phase (phase 3), so losing could lose you 3 resources and benefit the other player with 3 resources. Wanted card also gives you vps at the end of the game.

If you are on the 'porch'then you could lose the benefit of that building (if it is a delayed benefit) and give that to the other player. If it is an instant benefit then you could stop the other player from getting that benefit due to duels being fought BEFORE the instant benefit is gained (see in box lid for common questions and the answers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
It comes into play for non-immediate effects where your Posse has to be standing at the Resolution or Buy Phases...then you fight if you really need that bonus.

As I read the rules your posse does NOT need to be standing to be eligible for the pot or to buy a building. Indeed, the example in the book of playing poker for control of the location is between a standing and a laying meeple.

The standing posse gets the delayed influence for the worker placement space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:

Yup and when we've been playing that choice of "immediate" or "delayed till resolution" is an important one, since many times, the resolution phase reward is more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you were there first, and took the instant reward, there would be little point to fight back, would probably be best to just roll the die and hope to deny your opponent, but I wouldn't waste resources/card to win it.

However, if you're attacking and you NEED that instant/delayed reward for a purchase this round, you may want to use other resources/show card to get that resource.

So, the consequences for losing as a defender isn't so bad, but as an attacker you'll obviously want to win. But as an attacker you'll be making the choice to fight at that location or not. Sometimes you'll have no choice but to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
I suppose if you were there first, and took the instant reward, there would be little point to fight back, would probably be best to just roll the die and hope to deny your opponent, but I wouldn't waste resources/card to win it.

Unless it is the final round and you want to keep the 2VP Wanted card if you already have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... and by fighting back, you avoid letting your opponent win the instant reward.
... and some character powers give additional rewards depending on the number of standing posses that character has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vijayakrishna Ranganathan
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
I have played this game only once but I too feel the penalty for losing a duel is not much. If I beat the townhall, in a different location, even if I have a wounded posse, I can buy the building of that location and deny the duel winner of that building. That sounds a bit wrong. Doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vijayakrishna Ranganathan
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Scott's response in an interview on this.

Dueling is an essential part of the Western genre, so we wanted it to be included. One nice thing about this game is that even though there is combat, it’s not that deadly. Even if you get bumped out of a space, you are still in the running for the bonuses at the end of the round and you’ve likely already gotten a reward for being on that space. The other person is just dueling you for the same privilege! Of course, some spaces you’ll lose your benefit, so you need to weigh your risk on a heavily contested space. But, in general, losing a duel will barely set you back, which feels right for this game. The combat is fun and quick, but not that deadly. It’s more of a risk for the person instigating the duel! But, the winner does get a benefit – the Wanted Card! If you win a duel, you get the Wanted Card which will give you bonus resources and (if you still have it) points at the end of the game.

Makes sense but the only concern is, it seems its totally possible to avoid duel if you want. Or probably this was the experience of a two player game. In 3 or 4 player game, I guess you simply cannot avoid a duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameChronicles wrote:
... Makes sense but the only concern is, it seems its totally possible to avoid duel if you want. Or probably this was the experience of a two player game. In 3 or 4 player game, I guess you simply cannot avoid a duel.

I guess that's the real point. We pretty much only play with 4 players and in that case, if there is a very valuable building to buy somewhere, then there will be duel for the only reason that there isn't enough posse member locations to stand on.

Also, dueling with your first posse may force an opponent to reveal his card, and that is a major help when selecting your second or third posse member's position. Especially with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.