Subject: Similar Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harley Metcalfe
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Maria is my favorite ever board game. Do you guys have recommendations for a similar game, other than Napoleon's Triumph (I exclude NT only because I am aware of it, not because I don't hotly anticipate playing it some day!)?

Maria appeals to me because of its:
- Historical setting
- German historical setting
- Lovely board art
- Hidden information style of gameplay

I do already own Hansa Teutonica (And Rheinlaender), which also hits on points two and three. But I am no so familiar with the board game scene, particularly war and history games, and wonder if there are any obvious choices that I'm missing.

Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
A game I would recommend is Triumph and Tragedy. Another 3 player game. Rules are more complicated than Maria, but once you get the rules down, the game plays very streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have a hard explaining why, but Sekigahara provides a surprising similar experience to me.
Don't mistake me however, these 2 games are very different.

No wonder why these 2 are among my favorite games of all time. If not my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Handelskogge wrote:
Maria is my favorite ever board game. Do you guys have recommendations for a similar game, other than Napoleon's Triumph (I exclude NT only because I am aware of it, not because I don't hotly anticipate playing it some day!)?

I'm not sure I understand the similarity between Maria and Napoleon's Triumph (other than unusual and attractive components), but Maria is usually mentioned along with Friedrich (Maria's predecessor game which not only has a similar look and feel, but also uses a similar system and is at a similar scale).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I view Polis, Maria and Friedrich as a trio of historic games for 2,3 and 4 players respectively, although Polis seems to be a cousin rather than a sibling of the other two; Polis only reveals 4 event cards per game and involves resource collection and more complex besieging rules. Point-to-point movement is replaced by area control. Classic Greece replaces 17th century Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomAquin wrote:

I view Polis, Maria and Friedrich as a trio of historic games for 2,3 and 4 players respectively, although Polis seems to be a cousin rather than a sibling of the other two; Polis only reveals 4 event cards per game and involves resource collection and more complex besieging rules. Point-to-point movement is replaced by area control. Classic Greece replaces 17th century Europe.

Excellent suggestions. Other games that might provide something of the feel of Maria are Martin Wallace titles like Byzantium, A Few Acres of Snow, Liberté or Perikles.

Strongly recommend Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan as well. I might even recommend Washington's War, which hews closer to a traditional CDG wargame but has some of the underlying elegance of Maria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't the first time I've seen this question asked in the Maria forum. And I've been doing some research to answer the question.

My searches have taken me to the underrated Won by the Sword, whose first edition rules had a lot of problems, most of which are fixed in the 2nd ed rules. And by all accounts the game really shines when playing the new rules.

Another game I'm looking at is called A Most Dangerous Time and that seems well regarded and exciting. But harder to source.

I know they don't meet your criteria exactly but I hoped it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Schweitzer
Brazil
Americana
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wir sind das Volk! by the same publisher and designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friedrich is of course the obvious recommendation.

I enjoy Sekigahara and it feels similar, with fluid conquests and battle front and card-based back-and-forth combat. But because card flow through your hand is so much greater than in Maria, it lacks the tension. There's none of the Maria/Friedrich dynamics of stopping from playing out your entire hand because of the potential risk of taking a big loss - you usually play everything you got.

Very different in what's happening on the board and much more abstract, but Condottiere gives me a little bit of the same feel in card play, of having to choose when to save your cards and when to go big.

One that's been on my list of "wargames on my friend's shelf that I need to try", that has some of what I enjoy in Maria and takes place just a little earlier in time, is Pax Baltica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Friedrich is of course the obvious recommendation.

I enjoy Sekigahara and it feels similar, with fluid conquests and battle front and card-based back-and-forth combat. But because card flow through your hand is so much greater than in Maria, it lacks the tension. There's none of the Maria/Friedrich dynamics of stopping from playing out your entire hand because of the potential risk of taking a big loss - you usually play everything you got.

Very different in what's happening on the board and much more abstract, but Condottiere gives me a little bit of the same feel in card play, of having to choose when to save your cards and when to go big.

One that's been on my list of "wargames on my friend's shelf that I need to try", that has some of what I enjoy in Maria and takes place just a little earlier in time, is Pax Baltica.

Yep, I was also going to say that Pax Baltica seems to hit all of those criteria (you might want to look into block wargames in general), though I haven't gotten around to trying it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's also:

Three Kingdoms Redux.

It is about Chinese history, and is a specific three player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.