Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking forward to playing board games with my daughter, Lydia, pretty much since the moment she was born. Up until now we've played some of the basic kids games and she's had fun with those. I recently acquired Tiny Epic Defenders simply to complete my collection of Tiny Epic games. Then, I realized that as a cooperative game on the short and simple side, this could be a perfect introduction into hobby board games for our little girl. She just started kindergarten and is still learning to read small words, so we of course have to explain the different abilities and actions to her. But she has picked it all up very quickly. And she gets very excited each time we play. So far, we've played three games: one together with my wife, and the other two just me and Lydia. After our most recent game, I decided to ask Lydia some questions about the game and what she likes about it. Here's the transcript

Me: What's your favorite part about Tiny Epic Defenders?

Lydia: Hitting the big, bad guy.

Me: Why is that your favorite part?

Lydia: Because they're cool.

Me: What else do you like about the game?

Lydia: I like waiting for my turn card to come up.

Me: What do you like doing on your turn?

Lydia: I like protecting places.

Me: What's your favorite place to protect?

Lydia: The Coast.

Me: Why?

Lydia: Because I like the water.

Me: Why do you like protecting places?

Lydia: It means I'm brave.

Me: Anything else that you like about the game?

Lydia: Choosing my guy (character) at the beginning.

Me: What do you like about that?

Lydia: Can I be done answering?

Me: Haha. Sure. But real quick, would you say that Tiny Epic Defenders is your favorite board game?

Lydia: Yeah.

Me: When do you want to play it again?

Lydia: Tomorrow!

So, there you have it. Tiny Epic Defenders from the eyes of a short-attention-span five year old

It's been so much fun for me as a gamer parent to share this time with Lydia. She gets so excited when we're setting up the game and choosing our characters. She loves moving the fire tokens on the cards. She loves defending the regions. And she LOVES seeing who the Epic Foe, or Big Bad Guy, is going to be. Looking forward to many, many more plays of this game with her and my wife. And one day, with our little boy (who's currently almost 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other fun thing about playing this with your young kids is seeing how they come up with solutions to problems. Should they succor first, then move, or do a few things and head back to the Capital? When to use an artifact? I try not to quarterback too much, and it's great to see them come up with things I hadn't thought of.

Another great co-op your daughter might like is Forbidden Island; I've played that with a 5-6 year old, and they catch on pretty quick.

Great interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When she gets a little older, a step up in the cooperative genre could be 12 Realms with its fairy-tale theme and a bit more complex mechanisms (movement and various resource types in particular)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:

Right in the feels, man! Daughters are the best. (Shh, don't tell our sons!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
kevster wrote:

Right in the feels, man! Daughters are the best. (Shh, don't tell our sons!)

Haha. Yes, our sons can never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.