Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been out of the board game loop for a while, but just moved to the north side of Milwaukee near Mequon and figure there must be a few groups and stores within 20-30 minutes. Question is, what groups and stores? I definitely prefer Eurogames, though to be honest, I probably haven't played any games released in the last 2 years. I'm looking for either ongoing groups or stores that run open nights. Store-wise though, it seems every store I have been to focuses on CCGs, and that's really not my cup of tea.

Any thoughts/advice from people in this area is greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit from Milwaukee area, but I've always enjoyed the Game Universe locations that I've been to:
http://www.game-universe.com/

Lots of Magic on their events list, but also quite a bit of open board game night.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Avoid Games Universe. A lot of their prices are jacked way up on board games. The staff tends not to be very friendly, at least the few times I've been in there. It's been a few months so maybe they have new workers. Just felt like I was an inconvenience. I know there is Board Game Barrister at Bayshore Mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Barrister in the Milwaukee area was the only store I've been to in the area (and I think I've been to them all) that had higher than MSRP prices for board games. The store was very large and nice, but the prices were pretty crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hill
United States
Grafton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently moved to Grafton which is just North of Mequon. Boardgame Barrister is the closest but they often charge above msrp and charge you to breathe the air. Game Universe in Franklin has a good group on Monday nights but it's a drive from Mequon. As far as local groups I'm still pretty new and trying to feel it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Piorkowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Games Universe is in transition this month. The old guy you most likely dealt with is selling the stores. The Falls store is being bought by one guy, I think someone who works there. The Brookfield and Franklin stores are being bought another person/persons. Right now till the end of the month they have 25% off everything but the CCG stuff. Over all GU's prices are at MRSP, very rare have I seen anything marked up that isn't something rare. I know the Falls store draws a really nice magic group on Fridays.

Boardgame Barrister is a nice shop in Bayshore. Though they charge you to play. Their prices have been known to be over MSRP. Though if you are looking for something they generally have it. I thought the size in the Bay shore store was good for groups. It is to far for me to travel to.

I know of Dragon's realm just east of hwy 100 and Bluemound road. Small shop but the one guy is very nice.

I myself play out of Waukesha at Gametown. The owner there is really nice and usually good about ordering games if he doesn't have it on the shelf. Everything is basically open gaming there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle E
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Royce, I live in Sheboygan, WI. I used to do a lot of gaming in the Milwaukee area, Game Universe in Menonomee Falls is a nice store. I think they moved to a new location recently. I mostly play games like Commands & Colors and Twilight Struggle, let me know if you want to play a game sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott F
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend using the milcog or magma meetup sites. Milcog has a number of weekly events in and around Milwaukee, same as magma. I'm in bayside and routinely go to the west bend meetup on Saturdays. Definitely some weekly events lean more to euro games.

https://www.meetup.com/milcog/
https://www.meetup.com/THEMAGMA/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.