Risto Sarja
Finland
Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
I've been diced!
mbmbmbmbmb
These rule disputes in every session we have... SIGH

Filth reads: "When you lose an encounter as the defense on a planet where you have ships, USE this power to force all opposing ships to return to their other colonies instead of landing on your planet"

Filth is the defense and plays a negotiate against an attack card.

The defense can decide which he uses first, alien power or compensation?

Furthermore, can you respond as the player who the Filth player is taking compensation from by using a cosmic zap to Filth, that techincally hasn't used his ability yet ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You determine the win or loss first, and then have the Resolution phase. So Filth's power (including the zapping of that power) MUST happen before compensation is taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand the question. Filth plays N vs an attack. Immediately, all players should know exactly what is going to happen (not necessarily in this order):

1. Filth loses his ships and colony.
2. Filth will collect compensation.
3. Offense wins.
4. Offense and Offensive allies ships return to colonies and do not get to land on the planet.

Assuming no Emotion Control or other result-affecting card/power is used. And 2, assuming no Ionic Gas is played. And 4 assuming the Filth isn't Zapped.

The offense knows all of these things are going to happen, and he knows whether he has a Cosmic Zap in his hand. So he can go ahead and use it before compensation is collected. So it really doesn't matter what order these things happen in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
It matters whether the compensation can deprive the offense of his Cosmic Zap before he can play it to land on the planet (which is basically what the OP wants to know here).

And Jefferson has the right answer: This part of Filth's power is used when he loses the encounter, which happens in the Reveal phase. Winner/loser or deal/failure to deal is determined in Reveal (rulebook pp. 9-11), and then once the outcome is known, all the consequences of that happen in Resolution.

So in this scenario, Filth can (and in fact must) be zapped before the Resolution phase begins, and thus before compensation can steal the offense's zap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.