Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now up to this rule, and of course, the old 3R game had no such rules about oil production. So, just how important are these oil rules? I chose the historical campaign to avoid as much logistics and research as possible, but if oil is as mandatory as knowing how many BRPs an armor unit costs, then I need help. Every country's "form" has a row of oil barrels at the bottom {EDIT..actually, the row of barrels varies: UK has 6, Germany 10, and I didn't see any on the US card}--is this where one puts the actual oil counters produced by that country? If so, is there a rule about how many you can have? If city A produces 3 oil counters per turn, if I control city A at the end of the turn, do I just put those tokens in my reserves? And as for its use, could one just ignore oil and still do allright? One rule says oil allows one to "uninvert" air units; does this mean I could avoid the waiting for a new turn to re-activate my air that I just used? That would be a pretty big incentive to learn these oil rules in detail. I really just need to know how much effort to put into this section. I have a finite amount of time (both daily and remaining on the planet ) so I want to learn this game the way I learned Star Fleet Battles: attention to the rules I'll use over and over again, and just skim the electro-counter/jamming measures and self-destruct rules that I'd use once in 100 years. As always, constructive assistance is always appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Krug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oil rules are VERY important for Britain and Japan.

Russia does not track oil until it loses an oil center (which typically occurs in late 1941 or early 1942, unless Russia defends the south very well).

The US has as much oil as it needs (yay Texas) but needs to ship it, which requires transports.

Germany doesn't worry too much about oil until it attacks Russia, but late in the war after it loses Ploesti, it usually runs low on oil.

Italy depends entirely on Germany for oil, and it often solves the oil problem by surrendering before it needs to worry too much about it.

The oil effects rules were changed recently so I'd advise you to check out the latest updates so that you don't study outdated rules.

Go here, http://www.aworldatwar.org/Rules/index.html

click on "PDF rules" just under the box at the top

Scroll down to "Next Updates"

"All of the changes and clarifications to the rules since June 30th, 2016. These will be published on July 30th, 2017"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.