13 Posts

Legendary: Captain America 75th Anniversary» Forums » Rules

Subject: Man Out Of Time and Cards that you "have" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
I have a question regarding how the "cards you have" mechanic works with Man Out Of Time. Here's a concrete example:

Say you have:

Quote:
Storm the Beachhead
Tech
0+ Attack
You get +1 Attack for each Hero class you have.
Man Out of Time.
Cost: 5

And it is the 2nd turn. Do you get to count the Tech from this card as a Hero class you have? What about other Man Out Of Time cards from the previous turn? What if you have already played them before this card?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely count the card itself. Any 2nd go Man Out of Time cards count if you have not yet played them (you still have them) but do not count if you have already played them (you have to discard them after playing so you no longer have them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think it counts its own Tech for the "You get +1 Attack for each hero class you have" both times, though. I mean, it's true that you are going to discard it right after you play it the second time, but I would still count its own Tech while you are in the act of playing it. You at least "have" it for that brief amount of time, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'd go one step further on this. While I agree you "have" it while it's in play & resolving, you will cease to have it once it's discarded for MooT. Still awkwardly, it will count as having been played for superpowers and other things that look for cards played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I do think it counts its own Tech for the "You get +1 Attack for each hero class you have" both times, though. I mean, it's true that you are going to discard it right after you play it the second time, but I would still count its own Tech while you are in the act of playing it. You at least "have" it for that brief amount of time, don't you?

Is this is response to me? Cause what is you are saying is what I meant when I started my comment with "You definitely count the card itself."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bratty wrote:
randomlife wrote:

Is this is response to me? Cause what is you are saying is what I meant when I started my comment with "You definitely count the card itself."

Okay, I was kind of confused by your second sentence. But it sounds like we are on the same page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Interesting, here is a definition from the original rule book:

Quote:
“Your Heroes” & “Heroes You Have”
These phrases include both the cards in
your hand and the cards you have played
this turn. The Heroes in your deck and
discard pile don’t count.

This implies that MooT cards already played still count even though they have been discarded, except they are in your discard pile so they don't count -- which takes precedence? It also leaves unplayed MooT cards in a gray area, still, as they are neither in your hand nor in play. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carnilius wrote:
Interesting, here is a definition from the original rule book:

Quote:
“Your Heroes” & “Heroes You Have”
These phrases include both the cards in
your hand and the cards you have played
this turn. The Heroes in your deck and
discard pile don’t count.

This implies that MooT cards already played still count even though they have been discarded, except they are in your discard pile so they don't count -- which takes precedence? It also leaves unplayed MooT cards in a gray area, still, as they are neither in your hand nor in play. Thoughts?

When a MooT card is in the "set aside" area, it does not count as a "card you have". When a MooT card is in your discard pile, it does not count as a "card you have".

But I think that during that moment at the beginning of the following turn, when the MooT card you had set aside is now being played for a 2nd time, I think you do "have it" at that moment. After everything on it takes effect, though, it goes to your discard pile and you don't "have it" any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, M/WooT is a nice idea for a mechanic, but clunky in execution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't this sorted out during the previews?

And isn't it the case that MooT cards, unless in hand, do not count for 'have' effects, but do count for 'played' effects.

EDIT: Basically, a set aside MooT card, when reactivated on you subsequent turn, does not enter your 'played' area, instead they move directly to the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Okay, so does that mean they don't count for have effects on themselves, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnilius wrote:
Okay, so does that mean they don't count for have effects on themselves, too?

I believe they do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Since it was suggested that this was sorted out in the previews, I went and dug up the relevant Facebook post. Here's what it had to say about MooT.

Quote:
Man Out Of Time means after you use this card’s abilities, set this card aside instead of putting it in your Discard Pile at the end of the turn. At the beginning of your next turn, play this card a second time and then discard it.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind regarding this effect. First, the card is discarded the second time you play it. You cannot use Man Out Of Time again, in order to play that card for a third turn. Additionally, you play these "returning" cards at the start of your turn, after the card is revealed from the Villain Deck, and before you play any cards from your hand. Also, you are considered to have “played” a Man Out Of Time card on both the first turn you played it and the second turn you replayed it. That means the card can help activate your Superpower Abilities on both turns. However, because the card is discarded right after the second time you played it, you aren’t considered to “have” that card anymore, by the time you get to play cards from your hand.

From what I can gather here, it is only set aside when it is discarded by the end of the turn. Therefore, you would still have it. The second time around, it is discarded after it is played. You would have it for that effect, but not for anything later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.