Popular Tags: recommendations [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya! I would like to get one of the Splotter titles for Mother's Day and my husband, Dan, asked which I wanted:

Since we only play with just the 2 of us, which of them between Roads and Boats, Antiquity and Indonesia is best for 2?

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I looked and couldn't find it anywhere....

Love Twilight Struggle, Puerto Rico and Arkham Horror...used to love Settlers, however, it seems a little simple now to me compared to some of the other games I've gotten interested in lately....hopefully this will also give you an idea as to which may be best for me...

Thank you!

P.S. As you can see by my microbadge, I am on the AP prone side and that may be another consideration for Dan....

...Sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played Roads and Boats yet, but have played quite a bit of Indonesia and Antiquity.

I can say for sure that Indonesia is not very good with two. The shipping becomes much more weak due to so few players using it and the mergers (the heart of the game) become much less exciting and it all sorts to feel a bit artificial and "gamey" rather than like an interesting game.

Antiquity, on the other hand, is nearly as good with 2 as with 3 or 4 in my opinion.

The first half of an Antiquity game is normally basically solitaire (informed of course by what others are doing!) as far as building your area up. As to if 3-4 people horning in on a central area is a lot more fun than 2? Debatable. I'd say that it is indeed a bit better with more players, but it isn't much.

Long story short: I'd suggest Antiquity.

P.S. AP is a real problem in Indonesia and a minor (but real) problem in Antiquity, so even by that test, Antiquity should give better results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Antiquity may be the best game of the strong bunch anyways. regardless of # of players, so get that one. You won't be dissapointed!
Antiquity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats and Antiquity are both fine fine games. Both play well with 2, if perhaps better with 3. Both epic in scope, deep, and have a million chits. Both manage AP to some extent by having the players take their turns simultaneously and both don't manage it that way 100% successfully. Both feel like multiplayer solitaire until all of a sudden they don't and don't hard.

I could recommend one over the other, but really, it's close and it should come down to your personal preferences.

Antiquity --- resource gathering and building game, with the darkness brought on by depleted resources and graves taking up precious real estate.

Roads & Boats --- logistics with the key notion that you own neither resources nor production buildings, but only your transportation devices and whatever happens to be on them at the moment.

It is hard to envision a game being better at either of the two above niches than the Splotter games mentioned here. You really can't go that wrong with either of them. Pick based on your preference of the two types of games.

Or figure out some way that you deserve to get both. Neither you nor he will regret this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Or figure out some way that you deserve to get both. Neither you nor he will regret this.

Exactly. Pick up the other one for him on Father's Day.

Indonesia is an excellent game...but not for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm...it seems it's narrowed down to 2 instead of 3 which makes it a bit easier...

Now I gotta figure out which is best between Antiquity and Roads and Boats...

Please keep your ideas coming! I gotta let him know by tonight so he'll have time to order it for Mother's Day...

Getting the other one for Father's Day is a great idea!

...Sue kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts would be that Antiquity would tend to play in less time than Roads and Boats, if that is a factor for you at all. Also, Antiquity has far fewer bits to organize than Roads and Boats. Honestly, we're just nitpicking at this point, I think either way you go would be fine. Just decide whether you prefer a logistics game or a city building game, and go with it...if you don't like the one you buy, you could always trade it for the other, or sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Antiquity for myself and I after how much my wife enjoyed playing it with our friends copy.

Antiquity all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I gather R&B plays solitaire, whereas Antiquity has a minimum of two.

Not sure if it is relevant, but it is a difference between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Antiquity and R&B are excellent for two. R&B is also playable with one, if you think you might ever want to solo. That might be a consideration, as well. Antiquity does not have a one-player option.

I prefer R&B of the two. But I own both and never plan on giving either of them up. They're both great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
The only answer is to own both. I wouldn't recomend getting &cetera right away, as R&B is PLENTY of game already.

I own every Splotter title that is reasonable to persue, (Web? or Gossip? What??) I love them all dearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. CHERISH that husband, Susan. I love mine dearly, but I think I'm getting a new baking sheet for Mother's Day.

(Oh, and I vote for Antiquity too )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I suspect you will like either R&B and Antiquity (Indonesia is out for 2).

Since you are wearing your AP out on your sleeve, I have to say that you will be feeling it, big big big time, with either of these. You will face AP much more so with R&B than with Antiquity. Antiquity is a shorter game, and the planning is more obvious (to me). You probably won't finish R&B in one sitting on your first game. (I prefer R&B, by the way, and I don't have much problem with AP folk.)

Oh - with your AP, you'll be in Heaven, no question.

Unless you are absolutely committed, I suggest you investigate The Princes of Florence. Heck, look into that one anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise,

I hope you get more than a baking sheet for Mother's Day!!!

Thanks to you and everyone else for your helpful advice....I think I will tell him I'd like Antiquity as first choice and if, for some reason he can't get that one, Roads and Boats would be second choice as, from what people say about both of them, sounds like either of them would be a blast!

Thanks again,

...Sue kiss

Denise wrote:
Wow. CHERISH that husband, Susan. I love mine dearly, but I think I'm getting a new baking sheet for Mother's Day.

(Oh, and I vote for Antiquity too )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
I suspect you will like either R&B and Antiquity (Indonesia is out for 2).

Since you are wearing your AP out on your sleeve, I have to say that you will be feeling it, big big big time, with either of these. You will face AP much more so with R&B than with Antiquity. Antiquity is a shorter game, and the planning is more obvious (to me). You probably won't finish R&B in one sitting on your first game. (I prefer R&B, by the way, and I don't have much problem with AP folk.)

Oh - with your AP, you'll be in Heaven, no question.

Unless you are absolutely committed, I suggest you investigate The Princes of Florence. Heck, look into that one anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion of Princes of Florence, Chris....I will probably look into that one another time but, for now, for Mother's Day, I wanted one of the Splotter games as they seem more special (as well as expensive) and probably not something I would buy for myself...

I may try to trade for Princes of Florence, too, as from your description, it sounds like a game I would be interested in...

As far as my AP, it doesn't bother me...not really my husband, either (bless his heart, he's a patient man)...he can always get himself a cuppa coffee while I'm still pondering my next move! laugh

Thanks again!

...Sue kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.