Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Price
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm buying a pile of plastic zip lock type baggies to replace the old worn out baggies in several of my games.

Is there a good rule of thumb on baggie size?

The 3"x5" seems to work for most things, but thought the 4"x6" seems more universal.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I use (and have never had a problem with) are 88x115mm, it seems. That's a little bit less than 3.5" by a little bit more than 4.5". More or less exactly the right size to fit a standard-size deck of most cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to bag everything so that setup is a breeze and I can pretty much just open bags and start playing.

3x5 works perfect for small decks of cards (less than 40), starting player components, resources. Get a few hundred or even a thousand of these.

4x5 is necessary for larger decks and tiles. 100 of these should be OK.

Get a few dozen larger ones for surprises too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AceRandahl wrote:
So I'm buying a pile of plastic zip lock type baggies to replace the old worn out baggies in several of my games.

The 3"x5" seems to work for most things, but thought the 4"x6" seems more universal.

Any thoughts?

I buy both 3x5 and 4x6. Buy the 4mil bags, they are hella durable and worth every penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
AceRandahl wrote:

Any thoughts?

I buy both 3x5 and 4x6. Buy the 4mil bags, they are hella durable and worth every penny.

Yes the thicker bags are much better.

I switched to hair bands for decks of cards. I find them a little easier to deal with then baggies. I have some in my backpack at all times. It is always funny when one of my nieces needs one and they ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a really bad question for me, I guess I have at least 5 sizes of baggies, to add them all up probably over 200 (they were really cheap though) and pick and choose the size I need. Using too big a bag can really waste some space in the box plus it makes taking out cards etc. a bit fiddlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
16.5 cm X 14.9cm Ziploc sandwich bags. Also, old containers of chip dip make good storage boxes along with fishing tackle boxes to hold loose pieces for games that don't come with containers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kiaiweidemann wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

Yes the thicker bags are much better.

I use 6mil bags from Royal Bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several sizes.

Probably the size that gets used the most is 3" x 4".

If I had to limit myself to 3 sizes, it would be the 3x4, 4x4, and 4x6.

But, I also use 2x3 for smaller sets of items. But, you could just as easily use 3x4's instead.

I have 3x5, 5x8, 6x9 and 8x10, but they are only rarely used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apropos that this thread starts up now. I just stopped by my local Daiso Japan store and picked up a few different sizes of baggies. I grabbed a small, medium, and large size to accommodate different needs--I hate having a small handful of bits in a huge bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy several sizes, so that I always have the proper type for my needs. I play a lot of counter-based games. I'm into Car Wars currently nd made a lot of custom counters which need homes (baggieS).

Now, I hope it's not out of line to discuss here in this thread, but I'm looking for those 4x7 bags, similar to those that were used for Metagaming Concepts and early Steve Jackson Games, before they moved on to plastic cases of that size (which I'd also like to acquire). I'm developing a solitaire micro game and those would be perfect. The best baggie I have now is 5x8, and it looks tacky with all that extra space. Anyone know where I can find some? I don't want a thousand, just a few for starters, at least 4 mil thickness.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I use 3x5s for almost everything unless it's something like a thick deck of cards. You could just as easily go with a 4x6 though. I've found that having 6x9s on hand also comes in pretty handy for the random odds and ends or large components. Amazon or Uline are pretty much the best places to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go with whatever holds the logical separation of components. I've got at least one wargame counter in a mini baggie by itself. Different types go in logical groups, and opponents/nationalities go in ever larger baggies.

From the tiniest at the craft store to the gallon sized at the grocery store, I use 'em all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.