Manoeuvre» Forums » General

Subject: new purchase, question without having played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going through the box and the rule book, easily, and I'm surprised at the frequent mention of chess, and the lack of scenarios. I understand that the game is an intro to wargames, all about learning how different armies pair, and I laud it for that, and i see scenarios in the forums here if I want to extend it. It seems like a game that can be house ruled to meet any needs. None of these are complains. I understand the (excellent) choices that were made.

I'm just wondering whether the expansion will have official scenarios for those that would like a little less chess setup, (8x8 with most counters on first two rows) and more of a historical flavour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you created one as an example, you might inspire others. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I view the scenario setup for Manoeuvre as the combination of the matchup and the terrain. I find this to create a nice amount of variety that still feels navigable and familiar.

But, I think using historical battles to set up specific scenarios with terrain setups and unit deployment is a great idea, and that Manoeuvre would serve this well.

I think I personally haven't thought of specific historical battles with this game because I have Commands and Colors for that, and I like that Manoeuvre is simply pick it up, set it up and go. I haven't read anything about Distant Lands having scenarios other than standard game setup variables, i.e. army/terrain/army-setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
I'm just going through the box and the rule book, easily, and I'm surprised at the frequent mention of chess, and the lack of scenarios. I understand that the game is an intro to wargames, all about learning how different armies pair, and I laud it for that, and i see scenarios in the forums here if I want to extend it. It seems like a game that can be house ruled to meet any needs. None of these are complains. I understand the (excellent) choices that were made.

I'm just wondering whether the expansion will have official scenarios for those that would like a little less chess setup, (8x8 with most counters on first two rows) and more of a historical flavour.

+1 to the above post commenting on the terrain adding to the replayability and feeling "scenarioish".

The original terrain maps were actually based on 4 Napoleonic battles. Discussed here (along with some comments referring to fan-created scenarios in the files section):
Map request for designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is at such a generic level that I don't think that scenarios would really work very well. Just go with the flow using the standard rules and you'll find that the game is a lot of fun as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I don't think Manoeuvre is really designed to be "introductory". It's designed to be simple, but that's different. I wouldn't see it as a step toward something more complicated. If anything, I think it's going to appeal to relatively more sophisticated and experienced gamers who also play much more complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.