Siege of the Citadel» Forums » General

Subject: Mutant Chronicles IP owner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please explain it to me how the IP ownership looks like? I am just wondering how Prodos Games with their Warzone minis and Warzone Resurrection cope with Siege of the Citadel. Is the kickstarter project safe in that regard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
All the MC stuff falls under the old target / heartbreaker licence. Not sure who currently "owns" it, but considering Prodos could do the RPG without issue everything should be safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
dukeadam wrote:
Can someone please explain it to me how the IP ownership looks like? I am just wondering how Prodos Games with their Warzone minis and Warzone Resurrection cope with Siege of the Citadel. Is the kickstarter project safe in that regard?

Cabinet controls all of the Mutant Chronicles IP. Prodos works Warzone Resurrection and Modiphus works the RPG and boardgames. Both projects are conducted through the proper channels etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Teschendorf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In addition, for this kickstarter Cabinet
Entertainment is in some manner directly involved. The project was created by Cabinet & Modiphious, unlike the Conan and Mutant Chronicles RPGs which were just run through Modiphious. I think prodos was/is a much bigger gamble for long term Mutant Chronicles IP use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmin Carotenuto
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
I'll never reveal the Wu-Tang secret
mbmbmbmbmb
After Target Games/Hearbreaker Hobbies restructured in the late '90s/early '00s they became Paradox Entertainment, a video game/licensing company.

At some point (I forget when) Paradox Entertainment split into two companies: Paradox Interactive (video game publisher and now owner of White Wolf Publishing, who do the World of Darkness RPGs), and Paradox Entertainment (which is the license holder to the old Target Games catalog (Doom Trooper, Mutant Chronicles, Chronopia) as well as Robert E. Howard's stuff (Conan, Soloman Kane, et al)).

Paradox Entertainment is now called Cabinet Holdings (probably due to alleviate confusion between two similarly-named companies), and the two are separate companies. Cabinet Holdings is the one that owns all the Mutant Chronicles IPs and licenses them out to Prodos, and Modiphius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Teschendorf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
copied directly from the kickstarter:

Risks and challenges

Producing a massive boxed miniatures game is a big undertaking. Cabinet Entertainment is run by Fred Malmberg who founded Target Games and has extensive experience in producing boxed games with miniatures, whilst the Modiphius team has experience of producing the high quality Thunderbirds Co-Operative game and Airfix Battles Introductory Wargame along with several successful roleplaying kickstarters. Even with all our experience things can go wrong in the process. Production and design errors can delay the schedule, so we have built in an extra long lead time for the development of the game.

So basically, this is being produced by the same guy that organized Siege of the Citadel the first time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
In summary this wont be another HQ25 debacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And with the announcement that Fantasy Flight Games will be co-publishing the title, I think the IP is pretty secure. I'm sure FFG did their homework before committing.

And with the loss of the Games Workshop license...could this be the FFG replacement?

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it makes it clear :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.