Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just failed really hard.

When prepping my Essen kit and printing out all my pre-order receipts I noticed one of the orders wasn't listed on my paypal. Upon further inspection I realized something went wrong with the payment but neither Paypal nor the vendor informed me in any way. Now, this wouldn't have been that bad, since usually I only pre-order to take less money with me - if it wasn't for the fact that it was my most sought-after game of this year's Spiel which I already pre-ordered in August (so there even would have been enough time to fix it all, if I had just known... ;__;) and it's a game sold at the Japon Brand stall. I'll arrive Friday morning and now I'm SO super scared I won't be able to get a copy of Unicornus Knights - because we all know how quickly these Japon Brand games sell out.... *so much tension*

Anyway... that's my horror story. How about you guys? Did you have this one moment where suddenly all you enthusiasm for the fair was put to a halt and replaced by panic, dread and despair? ;>

Did you ever make any really bad decision while being at the fair? Like going to the one stall first, where tons of copies are still left and then arriving at the next stall only to see the last copy of the game you really wanted being sold to someone else?

Tell me your Essen horror stories, I'm curious.. and I need something to feel less bad about my huge fu** up. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Email Japon Brand and tell them your story? They might make an exception and reserve one for you.

Alternatively you could ask nicely, perhaps on the mule list to rush their thursday morning on your behalf.

Or plan c, wait until AEG release their version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
startrouble wrote:
Email Japon Brand and tell them your story? They might make an exception and reserve one for you.

Alternatively you could ask nicely, perhaps on the mule list to rush their thursday morning on your behalf.

Don't worry, I did all that already. Wrote them they'd risk making a grown up woman cry like a baby at their stall if there's no copy for me on Friday, so I hope that'll settle things. ;)

And I know there's gonna be a retail release later, but I really want to get my hands on it now! You surely know this feeling as well. :>

It all just made me curious if other people had such stupid things happen to them before or at the Spiel fair. Like we Germans say: Geteiltes Leid ist halbes Leid! (Literally: Shared sorrow is half the sorrow.) So, I don't need/want any helpful tips (Though of course, it's totally appreciated, thanks!!) - I just want to hear your horror stories! So if anyone has any, tell me all about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
Did you ever make any really bad decision while being at the fair?

<Looks at his shelves, full of unplayed games, and sighs>

miruki wrote:
Tell me your Essen horror stories, I'm curious.. and I need something to feel less bad about my huge fu** up. Sigh.

On my way home, being held at the Swiss frontier by the Swiss customs police because my car was full of games and I had very few receipts for those games (because at the fair only shops give you a receipt – exhibitors don't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not game related, but still something that makes me shudder even though it's three years ago.

Just after we'd taken the exit towards the Messe, a driver came swerving down the right lane and nearly hit several cars queueing to turn into parking 9, including my brand-new hotrod (well, Renault Kangoo whistle ). Not on purpose, he just seemed very lost and wasn't paying any attention at all.

So we only just avoided a damaged car, missing at least a few hours at Spiel and an accident that could have blocked the gateway to the Messe at 9am wow. It took a while to shake that off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
startrouble wrote:

Don't worry, I did all that already. Wrote them they'd risk making a grown up woman cry like a baby at their stall if there's no copy for me on Friday, so I hope that'll settle things. ;)

And I know there's gonna be a retail release later, but I really want to get my hands on it now! You surely know this feeling as well. :>

It all just made me curious if other people had such stupid things happen to them before or at the Spiel fair. Like we Germans say: Geteiltes Leid ist halbes Leid! (Literally: Shared sorrow is half the sorrow.) So, I don't need/want any helpful tips (Though of course, it's totally appreciated, thanks!!) - I just want to hear your horror stories! So if anyone has any, tell me all about it!

Kein Problem!

The only one I can think of atm is on my way to my first Essen, we were getting a lift from friends and then flying back. No more than 15 minutes into our journey after they picked us up, on the motorway, a car swerved into our lane without warning and my friend had to act quickly to avoid a crash.. that would not have been a good way to start my first journey to Essen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
On my way home, being held at the Swiss frontier by the Swiss customs police because my car was full of games and I had very few receipts for those games (because at the fair only shops give you a receipt – exhibitors don't).

How did that one work out? Have you been arrested for flooding Switzerland with imported games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought Bakerspeed and Paitti from ÖSM gulpgulpgulpgulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't there, but just hearing the stories about the ticket booth computer malfunction (I think 4 years ago) makes me buy the tickets online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:

Oh, yes, buying Bakerspeed without testing... I still hate to think back...

@Paolo

Just ask for a receipt at the publisher's, they're legally bound to give you one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:

Then you still supported the museum to go on in years for more small games to come. Not to bad in my view
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
I wasn't there, but just hearing the stories about the ticket booth computer malfunction (I think 4 years ago) makes me buy the tickets online.

We were there - it was more like 5-6 years ago - it was freezing and we walked right past the long queue with our pre-printed tickets - feeling very smug.

There was also a year when the ATM next to the side-entrance of the old halls was out of money on the weekend. Take extra cash because you're going to need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two or three years back, I lovingly prepared a list of games to check or pick up on Wednesday evening. Then on Thursday morning, on the way from the parking space to the entrance, I noticed that I forgot to take it with me. I remembered most but it took a while to find a few of the smaller booths...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippa Dall
United Kingdom
Falkirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe four years ago, there was a big storm on the Monday, on our way back. We took a train to Schiphol airport, it was diverted and eventually stopped short at Utrecht. Still we made it to the airport, and the planes had started running again - so no bother

There had been a lot of delays in the morning, and we were running close to our flight time, so we checked in our luggage at a booth with an attendant. When one of our bags was about to went, my partner thought it didn't have a label on it and said so. "It's fine" said the attendant, waving away our concern. A few minutes later... she paused..."what's this?" it was the luggage label for our bag - which was by now in the automatic system at one of the world's busiest airports, after a morning of delayed flights, without a label. A heart stopping moment gulp

We considered the implications. We'd bought a lot of games (who doesn't), they were split between 2 bags. And to save space we'd unpunched and repacked everything just where ever it fitted... So what we had was a bag full of game boxes, some of which had some of their bits, but also with parts from games whose boxes were in our other bag. And we had no idea what was where!

As it turned out - the phone call from the attendant to the luggage handlers was soon enough after the bag went, for it to be identified and sent on to the right airport. A worrying flight, but the relief on seeing the bag come through on the carousel was enormous... and now it's just a good story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeeplePeat wrote:
wi1ky wrote:

Then you still supported the museum to go on in years for more small games to come. Not to bad in my view

That is the only bright side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Keep on Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been travelling to Essen since 2011, and since 2013 with our own booth. If I have learnt something for the trip from Athens to Essen is "book your hotel early and your flight even earlier". And this year was no different, especially considering that we are 11 people travelling there, 6 driving with the company's van and 5 flying.

Yesterday we were notified that the room we had booked for the 6 of us was cancelled because the main water pipe broke and it would not be repaired for months. Thankfully I found another room, in a city 20 km's from Essen for our team to stay. It was more expensive, but at least we figured out a solution.
Today we were informed that there is a strike at all airports in Greece for Sunday, Monday, Wednesdsay and Thursday...
We are now trying to find ways for the remaining 5 our team to transport in Essen, either flying in Tuesday, or getting a car and drive there. It now seems that we have some solutions.
Let's see what will happen tomorrow.

Do I win? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vortex Gheops
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We heard just couple of days ago that our rented AirBnb apartment had some water damage(?) without exact details. So close to fair we had limited options for our 4 night stay. The owner said he´d look for alternatives which he said would be plenty, but we got no reply of any alternatives. Now the last info is that the water damage "is not so bad, after all" and we´re welcomed to same apartment. I guess we´ll see it. So how bad can it be? robotwow ooh.. our first Essen trip... the horror of uncertainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Pre-order Treachery In A Pocket today!
mbmbmbmbmb
fokos wrote:
Do I win? meeple

No you don't More publishers are coming from Greece so we should all win together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:

Oh yes, that one. I was there. And I missed two games because of it and had a couple of unhappy trade partners.

But my personal horror was more the train and plane strikes in the last years. And guess what - this year I could hit the jackpot once more. At least for this week many flights of Air Berlin are cancelled already again. Just hope they work it out before next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first ever Essen visit was in 2014... Yes, the year of the train strikes. We only went for a day, coming from the Netherlands and at some point we were wondering whether we would even get to Essen, and what we would do if we couldn't get back home again.

Though the journey took longer than planned, we made it to Essen safely and back home again on the same day with our newly purchased games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2014 train strike was the horror, since seemingly everyone was getting there by car then. The cue for getting to P2 was all the way to P9 and more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
A year or two back, I have heard from somebody that he went to play with a few other Essen attendees he met in the hotel on the day before the fair.

While he was away, somebody looted his hotel room. They took everything, the money, the credit cards, the notebook and especially all the games, too. And he had quite a number of games there, because he had participated in the Essen No-Ship Math trade. Must have been hell to replace all this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
As for me, a similar story: A couple of years ago, I've had almost all the games that I bought in Essen in a locker. Then I lost the key, somehow, just maybe half an hour to 10 minutes before the fair ended. Some security guard came and told me that getting the locker opened would be a fixed 50 EUR, he would be able to hand out a receipt for this, too. I calculated that what I had spent inside there was about the same price (higher value but fair prices), so I said that I hoped maybe somebody would find the key while cleaning up and return it. Called a couple of times afterwards, with no success: Apparently all lockers were emptied that day. Went there the week afterwards, a wholly different fair was held then. It turns out that somebody had emptied out the locker. Opened in exactly the same way as the guy told me they would do it if I paid the 50 EUR. A surprise we had then:
All "useless" content that had been in my locker, like magazines and my lunchboxes and empty bottles, were to be found in the locker next to it.
Apparently somebody had separated the good from the bad and took all the good with them. Must have been the very same security guard. Those are not regular employees from Essen Messe, but they are contracted by the people organizing the fairs, and they usually hire temporary workers for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
Another "horror story", last year I went there with my daughter. She found some playing station that she was quite interested in, from this "Super Sand" company, and refused to go anywhere else. So I stood there next to her and let her play, as we found out that there was actually very limited possibility for her to play with anything at her age. I turned an looked at some other nearby booth where something was being announced. When I turned back a minute later, she was gone. The playing station was quite big, but she was nowhere around. I ran around here and there, up and down the VERY crowded hall floors, but couldn't find her. Then my phone started to vibrate, and while it was impossible to understand anything because the background noise was too loud, I lifted my eyes from the floor where I had been looking for her, and saw her. She was in the arms of some guy who had lifted her up to console her and who had called my number just then.

She was just two steps, one meter, away from me, but with all those people around, I was unable to find her before. Good thing that I had written her name and my mobile phone number on the wrist band that she had received when entering. If you take kids along, do make sure to mark them this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While doing my admin for this year's auctions, I remembered a particular transaction from last year.

The seller and myself had arranged to do the transaction at the booth he was demo'ing at. Once at the fair, though, I had somehow got it in my mind that we'd meet at the Galeria. About five phone calls later, the guy turns up and I just didn't understand why he seemed a bit unhappy - and me thinking it was his fault didn't help the situation blush . It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I was the only one to blame for the mix-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.