$30.00
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, we've been 2 persons sorting the cards (me and my girlfriend), but we also took our time to accommodate with the cards. It took us 30 minutes to sort the cards and place them back in the box. I know people tend to exaggerate, but seriously, 2 hours? What the heck? Have you bought 4 copies of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Granted, we've been 2 persons sorting the cards (me and my girlfriend), but we also took our time to accommodate with the cards. It took us 30 minutes to sort the cards and place them back in the box. I know people tend to exaggerate, but seriously, 2 hours? What the heck? Have you bought 4 copies of the game?

Clearly you are superior to everyone else.
We all bow before you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure other people managed to sort them even faster. I do not think that sorting cards is a skill, so I don't claim to be superior to anyone else.

I just think that it is unfair to see this complaint EVERYWHERE. I've seen here and on reddit potential buyers who gave up on the game after reading what a purportedly horrendous experience it was to sort the cards.

Thus, I felt the need to add my 2 cents. I don't think 30 minutes is an unreasonable time for sorting this awesome game. It would be a shame for people to stay away from it just because other users tend to exaggerate A LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I'm pretty sure other people managed to sort them even faster. I do not think that sorting cards is a skill, so I don't claim to be superior to anyone else.

I just think that it is unfair to see this complaint EVERYWHERE. I've seen here and on reddit potential buyers who gave up on the game after reading what a purportedly horrendous experience it was to sort the cards.

Thus, I felt the need to add my 2 cents. I don't think 30 minutes is an unreasonable time for sorting this awesome game. It would be a shame for people to stay away from it just because other users tend to exaggerate A LOT.

Amen brother. I bought this fairly late on and had read similar threads as you. Yes, the cards were not packaged in a particularly logical manner for set up / sorting purposes, but it was hardly an onerous experience sorting them for such ends. I will caveat that point with the knowledge that I am massive Alien genre fan and maybe that made it all a little bit more obvious for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your caveat: my girlfriend has never seen (yet ) any Aliens movie and she had no problem sorting the cards as fast as I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Having gone through both the Alien & Predator games as my first experience with the Legendary franchise I'm going to have to disagree, for me the issue isn't just sorting... Because the game doesn't come sorted it presents issues around trying to figure out if cards are missing which means until you 100% sort and split the card decks up you cannot be certain if you're missing anything or not.

While I don't think it's a reason NOT to buy the game because I think both are awesome games!!! meeple I disagree it's a simple 30min job...

Took me about an hour each to 100% go through, unpack, sort & then inventory to ensure no missing cards but I can see how confusing it is for someone who has just opened the box and may take 2 hours there is 0 direction on what goes where. Doesn't help that the game contents are listed in the back of the manual, should be on the first page like every other game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is missing a card i can understand why it would take much more. otherwise, how long does it really take to count 600 cards? 3-4 minutes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have several 'Legendary' fan micro-badges so I suspect Aliens was not your first Legendary game. Knowing the structure of Legendary products gives a significant head-start when you come to sort a new one out.

Aliens was the first one I bought and it took quite a while - probably not 2 hours but probably around 90 minutes - and I had the advantage of having a complete set - others who had missing cards and lacked familiarity would have been sorting through looking for stuff that wasn't there. When I picked up Predator that took around 30 mins as I knew what types of card I was looking for and how to sort it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only identical decks with the other Legendary games were those of the 14 characters. it might have saved me 10 minutes tops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
If someone is missing a card i can understand why it would take much more. otherwise, how long does it really take to count 600 cards? 3-4 minutes?

Counting would tell you that you have the right number of cards, not that you have the right cards you could have duplicates or multiple blanks. Just saying for someone new to Legendary this definitely would be confusing to sort through & don't see it being done in 30mins, I know it was confusing for me at least and I've got multiple other deckbuilders in my collection...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hard part is that some cards are in different decks. Take the Facehuggers. There are copies in the strike deck, some hive decks and also a special side deck. If you did not read the bottom of the cards you might put these in the wrong decks.

Also the cards are really mixed up and there are a lot of separate decks. In hindsight it was not a worry, but after playing lots of games where cards are sorted for you it can stand out in contrast. Two hours sounds like a long time, but I think I spent a little over an hour from reading and checking the cards and piles, plus sorting in between the dividers in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it says in the rulebook that you can check the deck each card belongs to by looking at its bottom...Of course, maybe some people did not read the rulebook first, but that was their fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

"only took me 30 minutes" with two people is a valid complaint to lay on this game, and the effort required to get it running for the first time on the table.

While I think 2 hours is, as you say, an exaggeration - I would think 30 minutes is on the lower end of the time it would take for one person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Croatia
Zadar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
But it says in the rulebook that you can check the deck each card belongs to by looking at its bottom...Of course, maybe some people did not read the rulebook first, but that was their fault.

Looking at its bottom?? THAT was the worst thing for me for the whole process...Have you seen the size and font?? For me, it was very hard to discern those small letters on pretty dark, sometimes black background (I'm looking at you, event cards). The sorting process by itself didn't take too long...about an hour or so...but finding which 4 cards I was missing in a completely new game, new system, THAT took ages.
So please, take some consideration when you post threads that people with poor eyesight (such as me) can find almost insulting.
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

After one play of the game with an experienced player teaching it, I can safely say that the mere 30 minutes it took you to sort the cards is a truly monumental accomplishment. Is it possible, however, that you purchased your copy second hand, and the decks were already mostly sorted by the previous owner who -- having been stymied by the complexity of the job at hand -- decided to sell the game rather than complete the life-affirming exercise of sorting 600 cards just to play the game?

In all seriousness, one play was enough to tell me I would be intensely annoyed at having to sort the cards of a new copy... even having to sort them after playing was annoying, given the tiny font and same-back-ishness of the cards. Like many people, my tolerance for menial/tedious tasks is very low. I'd rather be playing the game than sorting it.

Then again, maybe that's why I don't like deck builders in the first place. Came here to read a few reviews, see if I was missing something that warranted further plays... instead, I replied to this post.

Menial tasks indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/107161/1-page-card-list to help me with the initial sort out. After that its pretty quick set up for me but I don't mix and match the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it was a new copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Well aren't you special!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Regarding your caveat: my girlfriend has never seen (yet ) any Aliens movie and she had no problem sorting the cards as fast as I did.

Well ain't she special!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I might be kinda sad, but the 2.5 hours I spent sorting and sleeving the cards (in my stupidly expensive but best ever KMC Hyper Mat ones) was more fun and enjoyable than some other board games I've actually played!

I also tried not to read too much of each card, to maintain the element of surprise. But yeah, took me a while, but I enjoyed it. Great game as well.

Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first Legendary game and the sorting was time consuming. It probably took close to 90 minutes because of the poor contrast and size of the font at the bottom of the cards. Subsequent Legendary games have been faster, because I'm familiar with the card format.

I don't think that it's a reason to skip buying the game. I don't see the deck sorting as being too different from games that require you to punch a bunch of chits, tokens, and/or tiles. Or games that require removing a tone of miniatures from sprues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorting the cards? Probably about 30-40 mins
Going through each deck to ensure every card was correct? Around another hour.
Sleeving? A couple of hours.

All while watching TV.

I suspect that most people who claim the 2+ hours to sort the cards are including sleeving in that time, which will obviously take a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had no issues sorting the cards out by myself. I did it about a half an hour as well. To be fair I got it after it had been out for a few years when I got my copy and I had broken down several Marvel Legendary expansions so I was use to the upper deck sorting madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:

Well, I might be kinda sad, but the 2.5 hours I spent sorting and sleeving the cards (in my stupidly expensive but best ever KMC Hyper Mat ones) was more fun and enjoyable than some other board games I've actually played!

I also tried not to read too much of each card, to maintain the element of surprise. But yeah, took me a while, but I enjoyed it. Great game as well.

Steve.

If you enjoy sorting and sleeving, maybe look at the awesome game Commands & Colors: Ancients (or Napoleonics ...or the upcoming Medieval) as you'll get to experience the joy of the double sided stickering of hundreds of small wooden blocks. I personally love sitting down with a new expansion and getting out the tweezers (no sarcasm intended, I do love it!) ... Not a task for those with a weak constitution, lack of patience and/or precision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
manserfamily wrote:

Steve.

If you enjoy sorting and sleeving, maybe look at the awesome game Commands & Colors: Ancients (or Napoleonics ...or the upcoming Medieval) as you'll get to experience the joy of the double sided stickering of hundreds of small wooden blocks. I personally love sitting down with a new expansion and getting out the tweezers (no sarcasm intended, I do love it!) ... Not a task for those with a weak constitution, lack of patience and/or precision.

Is it terrible the sound of sorting those stickers is really appealing?

The photo looks excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.