Subject: Diplomats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules state the 1st diplomat placed in another's harbor must be a minimum of one... Can I place more, thus making it harder for the next player as you must play a minimum of 1 more than what's there ?

Mike S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sittel
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
I admit it... I am a Euro-gaming snob.
badge
I'm addicted to racing 'round the cones (autocross).
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so. Since the tiles have 1 to 4 swords on them, insisting that the first inhabitant can only have a strength of 1 sword would make it more difficult to establish possession, as one would have to wait for that single sword+cube tile to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_N_Phyllis wrote:
Rules state the 1st diplomat placed in another's harbor must be a minimum of one... Can I place more, thus making it harder for the next player as you must play a minimum of 1 more than what's there ?

Mike S.

mcsittel wrote:
I believe so. Since the tiles have 1 to 4 swords on them, insisting that the first inhabitant can only have a strength of 1 sword would make it more difficult to establish possession, as one would have to wait for that single sword+cube tile to appear.

I believe that Matthew, though being helpful, answered with the wrong tiles in mind. From my reading of the rules, the number of diplomat symbols required is the order in which a player places their diplomat (e.g. the third player to place a diplomat must place at least 3 scrolls). The statement of "minimum" in my interpretation means that a 2 scroll tile could be used to reach the requirement needed to place first, but would not alter future players placement requirements ("the next player to deploy on this same harbor has to place a minimum of 2 diplomats").

Now, to be fair, the visual example makes this position of mine arguable as it is difficult to see, but the rules show a two scroll tile being used for the first player to place a diplomat and then what appears to be two separate single scroll tiles for the second player. But, the tiles used by the second player in fact show a one scroll and two scroll tile being added (for a total of three diplomats) and they use the phrasing of the number of tiles rather than the number of diplomats ("so Jenny spends 2 diplomat tiles"). It is possible that they changed which way the diplomat tiles were to work (number of tiles versus number of symbols, greater number of symbols than previous player versus number of symbols for the order in which placed) and never clarified the rules.

I am playing by the minimum number of symbols for the order in which placed as the scroll tiles are in sparse availability, and it appears to follow the closest to the text rules in my interpretation.

I think this is one of those cases where you will need to play as you feel is correct. I hope this helps.

Rusty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almaju Madjur
Mexico
Morelia
Michoacán
flag msg tools
In this case, I think Rusty is right.
Since each new group of diplomats must go on an empty line, they can not supplant one containing diplomats.
Since diplomats as such, have a function contrary to the knights "they come in peace".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.