$60.00
$20.00
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer

This is a game developed for 18 Card MicroGame Contest.

About
Game mechanics were inspired by Darkest Dungeon, one of the most interesting RPGs released in 2016. Group of heroes will travel to the dungeon to fight the Demon that terrorises the Village of Shores. Will they success and save the village, or will they fail miserably?

Game overview
Heroes of the Shores is a game about group of delvers that decided to get rid of the evil Demon.

As the dungeon tunnels are quite narrow, they have to progress in certain marching order that also predefines the order they can react to oncoming enemies.

Bad Demon knows, they are comming, so he starts to summon the minions to stop the party.

Every minion requires different set of meelee and ranged attacks to be defeated. Therefore heroes have to swap their position, attack and use other useful items to prevent from deadly minions' attacks, just to face the Demon itself - the biggest badass of them all.

Technical Info

Phase: contest ready
Players: 1-2
Playtime: 5-10 min.

Content: 12 minion cards
4 hero cards
1 demon card
1 rules card

Rules
For testing purposes, PnP files are available on following links:

testing design: http://files.jocho.sk/share/hots-pnp.pdf
final design: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4BQyGglf_QPa3Blcm5FM0tPOW8...

To the Dungeon!

Gallery from testing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
actionjack JL
msg tools
I love DD.
Very interested to see how it plays.
Love it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Marek,

I too like Darkest Dungeon. How is "Heroes of the Shores" coming along? I'm looking forward to trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
First of all, I am quite sad that I was not able to get the artist that would make me nice, gothic-styled art for game. Multiple ones were promising, but none accepted the challenge.

Hence I am currently testing low-poly graphics on cards. Here are some Examples:

actionjack wrote:
I love DD.
Very interested to see how it plays.
Love it so far.

The game uses dungeon-progress mechanic similar to Darkest Dungeon. However, because of space limitations for rules (and game components themselves) I was forced to make few changes in mechanics.

The result is tactical game, with slightly higher portion of randomness, where every player's action matters.

countdown321 wrote:
Hi Marek,

I too like Darkest Dungeon. How is "Heroes of the Shores" coming along? I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Rules are clarified, game was playtested multiple times and I decided to lower the maximum amount of players from 4 to 2 because cooperation in this game in more than players was not fun. However, two players work quite good and singleplayer is working great.

PDF file with final graphics and rules will be provided on last day of November, when 1st stage of contest ends.

Game, however with questionable graphics, is ready for testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
That is frustrating about not being able to get the artwork you want.
I actually quite like your original test art.

Am hoping to playtest your game this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not clear how combat works. If the weapon matches the attack list, the minion is hit. Is the minion dead after one hit? How many hits does the minion take to be defeated.

If the minion is defeated after only one hit, I never made it to the third hero in line. The minion was dead by the second hero in each case.

On the demon fight at the end of the game, there are two rows of attack lines visible. Doesn't this just give the heroes twice as many chances to hit the demon before the demon gets a turn? The heroes would have 8 chances to hit before the demon attacks instead of 4 for a minion.

Or maybe a minion doesn't take a hit until each of the 4 symbols in the attack line are satisfied. So if a minion has 4 arrows and the first hero has 1 arrow, then after the first hero the minion needs 3 more arrows against him before he takes a hit.

I'm not sure how it works. It seems fun though if I could figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
leifericson wrote:
I'm not clear how combat works. If the weapon matches the attack list, the minion is hit. Is the minion dead after one hit? How many hits does the minion take to be defeated.

Every minion takes 4 hits, in order from top to bottom, according to pitograms on the right side of card.

leifericson wrote:
On the demon fight at the end of the game, there are two rows of attack lines visible. Doesn't this just give the heroes twice as many chances to hit the demon before the demon gets a turn?

No. Two attack lines mean that the demon takes 8 hits to be defeated.

For example, minion has following attack line: sword, sword, arrow, sword

It means that minion has to be hit twice with meelee weapon, then once by ranged weapon and, at the end, by meelee again.

If a hero hits that minion with an axe, he causes two slashing hits at once. It means, next attack must be ranged.

Attacks must be played in given order. If first hero in our example uses reckless attack and second has an axe, he would make with it only sinle hit and second hit would be ignored, as third hit must be ranged one.

I hope it makes more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
My brother saved my ass and helped with final card design!

I's not based on my original idea, but I think it's quite good, keeping in mind that the whole art was made in about 18 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art. And the subject matter is not something I'm usually into so well done on making it very attractive. I especially like the square hems.

I, however, do not understand the rules. I think the rules depend too much on people being familiar with other games like it. Since I'm not normally a dungeon crawler, I need some help understanding just what it is that I'm to be doing.

If we can get the rules cleared up, I'll print and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I must agree. I like the look of the game and made up a nice looking set to play. Sadly rules are unsuitable. Too small to read - and it is clear English is not the first language of our game designer. By expanding the graphics I was able to rewrite the rules however I was unable to interpret the graphics. Could our designer please clarify the images. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
I admit that english is not my primary language, however the problem lies also in need to squeeze all the rules to only 3 pages/cards.

The initial card position on desk is like on the image below:

Heroes are facing right as they are trying to reach the demon card.
The demon tries to stop them, so he summons the portal (a drawing pile), from which the cards of minions are placed in heroes' way.

Heroes must defeat all the minions to get to the demon and then defeat him too.

As I printed the rules in higher resolution, I had no problem with readibility, but I agree, it may cause a problem.

I will talk with my brother to remake at least the rule cards to make them more readable. Maybe adding the color will help.

The rules are completely rewritten (sadly, without graphics) in Geek List, maybe that helps a bit too.

If you have any specific questions to rules, ask me - I'll gladly reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.