BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for me and mum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey guys

I play a lot of board games with my nearly six year old and mum and most of my games so far have been picked with my little one in mind but we are now looking for a few more games that me and mum can play after the little one has gone to bed that's a little more thinky and a little more complicated. I dont necessarily just want two player games as sometimes others play with us or sometimes I play with more people elsewhere but don't mind if good game. I'm struggling to find something great so thought I would ask you for some ideas.

I'm just going to let you know the games we like - I know most of them are more kids games which is not what we're after as such but will give you a better idea of what we like or don't like as we have limited adults games so far.

Games we love and get out regularly (mostly with little one):

Downfall of pompeii
Survive escape from atlantis
Little prince make me a planet
Carcassonne
Glalaxy truckers (we love this game)

Games we quite like or don't mind but not as regularly:
Jamaica
Above and below
Karuba (my mum loves though)
jaipur
Port Royal
Saboteur
hare and the tortoise
garden dice
colt express (haven't tried this with my mum yet)

Games we all hate:
castle panic
ticket to ride
Pandemic
Forbidden island

If it also helps in what type not to suggest, two games I've looked at for other reasons that really really don't appeal is takenoko for some reason and machi koro looks horrifically dull lol!

My mum also particularly loves gubs??? Clearly we like to be horrible to each other or kill each other and hate co-ops :-)

I am already considering:

Imhotep
sanssouci
dungeon petz
agricola

They don't have to necessarily be 100% brain burners as sometimes in more casual mood and my mums a little AP (so stuff for me to think about while she decides lol) but challenging. Quick set up a bonus as often in the eve when tired from work snore but not always needed

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and before I forget - I really hate dungeons and dragons - lords of waterdeep. I find it sooo unthinky and feel like i'm just collecting cubes for no apparent reason whatsoever and therefore find it really tedious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imhotep is excellent. But you might also take a look at Cacao by the same designer. It's a fun tile laying game that does worker placement in an interesting way. It's especially good with the Chokolat expansion which will be in wider distribution soon. Another tile laying game you might enjoy is Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King. It is sort of like Carcassonne, but you are building your own kingdom and there is a price setting mechanism that is quite interesting and challenging.

BTW I think the Cacao expansion is already available in your neck of the woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of current and past games that my wife and I have enjoyed over the years . . .

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and-cof...

. . . perhaps you'll see something to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the most fun at 2 players usually means playing a 2 player game. I'd look at Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. It's great if you like head to head and fighty!

If you enjoyed Jamaica with your daugher, you might like Black Fleet. It's another pirate theme game which is just slightly more complicated, and it plays great with 3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MURPHY
United States
LITTLETON
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! or Battle Sheep - It has a Carcassonne "feel".

Memoir '44 - yes its a war game, but is a "light" war game, which you and your mum may enjoy being nasty to each other. Its just a two player game unless you play overload version.
Dominion: Dark Ages - deck builder? This is the nastiest version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:
Imhotep is excellent. But you might also take a look at Cacao by the same designer. It's a fun tile laying game that does worker placement in an interesting way. It's especially good with the Chokolat expansion which will be in wider distribution soon. Another tile laying game you might enjoy is Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King. It is sort of like Carcassonne, but you are building your own kingdom and there is a price setting mechanism that is quite interesting and challenging.

THank you I think I'm definately going to get imhotep

Funny enough, I've already got isle of skye on my radar as another game to introduce to my daughter in the next year or so. I think I'm looking more for ones slightly on the next step up for adults only as we play enough with her already.

I've looked at cacao before but just can't make my mind up on it. I just have the feeling that I will find it a little boring or repetitive. I may have to play it first. I like carcassone when in laid back mode so not sure why this doesn't appeal? Although I am more than happy to play carcassone with my little one - not sure I would break it out with adults only

I suppose I like games with more options as to where to go and what to do and ones that push you to go with your gut sometimes. I have to balance this with my mums math head where she will literally count every point so games with too many variable moves or 30-50 points being able to be scored in one go or lack of speed in working out best move is out of the question as it will take her way too long to do the analysis lol. So games with variation of actions/activities but mechanisms that limit or push you to a decision on each particular go would be best if that makes any sense at all lol!!

For example, I've discounted caverna as even though i like the fact you can focus on anything (and my daughter would love to play alongside whether competitively or properly able or not) it's a little open but agricola gives you cards that will help my mum focus and make decisions somewhat quicker but this makes it too difficult for my daughter to get so more adult and okay for AP (I think)

I also like surprises sometimes lol. Glalaxy truckers works very well for both of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eldard wrote:
Here's a list of current and past games that my wife and I have enjoyed over the years . . .

Thank you, I will take a look through and see if anything appeals :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
epilepticemu wrote:
Having the most fun at 2 players usually means playing a 2 player game. I'd look at Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. It's great if you like head to head and fighty!

If you enjoyed Jamaica with your daugher, you might like Black Fleet. It's another pirate theme game which is just slightly more complicated, and it plays great with 3!

Actually, although I'm not the type for pure strategy or abstract chess like games, the confrontation looks more interesting, I have also been looking at raptor as a possibility too.

Thanks, blackfleet definately looks like a good one up from jamaica, my daughter would love this soon so maybe get to play with mum first for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
murphzone wrote:
Hey, That's My Fish! or Battle Sheep - It has a Carcassonne "feel".

Memoir '44 - yes its a war game, but is a "light" war game, which you and your mum may enjoy being nasty to each other. Its just a two player game unless you play overload version.
Dominion: Dark Ages - deck builder? This is the nastiest version...

We've played hey that's my fish a number of times but i think we find it too fiddly and get annoyed. I am also looking for games that my daughter can't play as we play enough with her and we want a few like "right, now she's gone to bed, let's play something we can get our teeth into" kind of thing. i've seen battle sheep also but not sure as not normaly into astract and again, am looking for somthing a little more involved.

I'm not sure if out right war games is our main interest as we like to be doing something else whilst killing each other like building something or some other aim but I suppose where we like to kill each other so much, we should at least give a war type game a go at some point. We used to love hero quest when I was a little girl lol!

Deck builders - ummm - these have never appealed to me to be totally honest. I do keep meaning to give one a go as I'm changing what I like about games but I suppose I like a board and something more visual in front of me usually. I will definately consider looking into this one more though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

THank you I think I'm definately going to get imhotep

Funny enough, I've already got isle of skye on my radar as another game to introduce to my daughter in the next year or so. I think I'm looking more for ones slightly on the next step up for adults only as we play enough with her already.

I've looked at cacao before but just can't make my mind up on it. I just have the feeling that I will find it a little boring or repetitive. I may have to play it first. I like carcassone when in laid back mode so not sure why this doesn't appeal? Although I am more than happy to play carcassone with my little one - not sure I would break it out with adults only

I suppose I like games with more options as to where to go and what to do and ones that push you to go with your gut sometimes. I have to balance this with my mums math head where she will literally count every point so games with too many variable moves or 30-50 points being able to be scored in one go or lack of speed in working out best move is out of the question as it will take her way too long to do the analysis lol. So games with variation of actions/activities but mechanisms that limit or push you to a decision on each particular go would be best if that makes any sense at all lol!!

For example, I've discounted caverna as even though i like the fact you can focus on anything (and my daughter would love to play alongside whether competitively or properly able or not) it's a little open but agricola gives you cards that will help my mum focus and make decisions somewhat quicker but this makes it too difficult for my daughter to get so more adult and okay for AP (I think)

I also like surprises sometimes lol. Glalaxy truckers works very well for both of us.

Cacao has been a big hit with my family and especially my mom. Another tile laying game my Mom really enjoy is Lanterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eldard wrote:

Haven't had time yet to look at them properly but Dracula looks quite appealing. Jack pocket was also on my list for daughter too. I know my mum would like patchwork - not sure I will though. Prob one to try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SoundCity wrote:

Cacao has been a big hit with my family and especially my mom. Another tile laying game my Mom really enjoy is Lanterns.

I think I'll haveto watch a play through of cacao then and have a proper look thanks. I think my mum would like lanterns but I'm not such an abstracty kind of girl. I sppose my mum's not quite traditional inthe sense that it was her who used to play heroquest with me when I was young and she also likes things such as betrayal etc lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig gives you a lot of things to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra is a solid game.

Dominion has plenty of replayability.

+1 for Imhotep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig gives you a lot of things to consider.

Yes, I had seen this a while ago but had forgotten about it. My mum would like this thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
anomander64 wrote:
Alhambra is a solid game.

Dominion has plenty of replayability.

+1 for Imhotep

Yes thanks, still undecided about alhambra - might have to try it somewhere. M mum would definately like.

Dominion does look kind of interesting - will maybehave to face the deck builder avoidance and give it a shot??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.