Dominion: Alchemy» Forums » General

Subject: Would you buy a large box version of Alchemy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Dominion: Alchemy large-expansion poll
It is quite clear that the current Dominion: Alchemy is the black sheep of the Dominion line. It is enjoyed by many, but derided by an equal number of players. If Donald X. were to replace the current 12-Kingdom card version of Alchemy with a full 25-Kingdom Card edition, would you buy this new version (or an upgrade pack, if offered)? If he were to release such an edition, what would you want and expect to see? How can the original Alchemy concepts be used by new cards and in new ways?

When answering these questions, consider the current 12 Kingdom cards as mostly set in stone (except their precise wording, which could be tweaked). In the context of this scenario, the Potion cards will remain as a type of Treasure, so please do not suggest here that the Potion aspect be removed. In other words, imagine Alchemy with 13 new cards that use Potions and related concepts in new and creative ways.

Disclaimer: This is just a fun poll to see what opinions and ideas are out there. This poll is not sponsored or endorsed by Donald X. and the results will likely have no impact on the future of the Alchemy expansion.
Would you buy a large-expansion version of Dominion: Alchemy?
Absolutely! I would love some more Alchemy (or Dominion) cards.
Yes, but mostly because I'm a completionist.
Probably, assuming the new cards look promising.
Maybe, but I am still suspicious of the practicality of Potions.
Probably not, Alchemy just never did much for me.
No, the Potions mechanic is uninteresting to me or I feel I have enough Dominion expansions.
Definitely not, I'm done with Dominion and Alchemy is not the way to win me back.
Other (please explain below).
      105 answers
Poll created by Whaleyland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The potion just doesnt work, it unnecessarily slows down the buying of important cards.

The potion might have been better implemented if it used VP cards or curse cards or if the potion card has some auxilary use in addition to the potion type (was a 2 type card). Creating a second fourth type of currency just was not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure! Potions are fine, they create a particular design space, and I think that with more of them the utility of the Potion cost would be more apparent. Of course, Alchemy II would still probably wind up as one of the least popular expansions, which is why I know it's not to be expected any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems about as likely as getting a pony in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Potions as they are now are a problem, but I too think they can be saved. Besides the obvious problem of only nine cards requiring them (and a tenth that benefits from them), there is the problem of limited use. This can be easily fixed, though, with cards that grant VP to Potions (or card with Potions in price), cards that use Potions in some way other than cost, and with perhaps an Event or Landmark that revitalises Potions (potentially adding an ability or making them worth coins or VPs). I think Potions can stay, more cards just need to use them in creative ways to make them worthwhile.

Another obvious solution could be to make Potion cards function as either a Potion or a Copper. That would increase their usefulness greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:

Another obvious solution could be to make Potion cards function as either a Potion or a Copper. That would increase their usefulness greatly.

Exactly! I Think that potions should be worth 1 copper and perhaps cards that have a potion cost should be purchasable/gainable some other way so that there are other options.

I do think that the concept is salvageable regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like the concept of a second paralell currency. I'd not change that at all. Its just that there are too few cards for it to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs 25 new cards using potions, not 13.

Potions are interesting, but generally needs a handful of useful cards in the kingdom using them - so it interferes with the common pick n' mix system people like to do across sets, and there never enough cards using them to start with.

Alchemy should NEVER have been a small set. It also need a commitment to an Alchemy II large set, even if the first set had a slow uptake. If those weren't on the table, then Alchemy shouldn't have been printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemy is actually one of my favorite Dominion expansions, so I welcome any additional Alchemy cards/sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It seems about as likely as getting a pony in the box.

Wait? We can get a pony?! Well, then I'm in!

I'm just glad I got Alchemy on clearance pricing. It jumped the queue because of that. I'm with the crowd that finds this one weak and mainly just slows down the game, so I'd likely pass on any revision of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more potion cards. For me, Alchemy was the "first big change" in the Dominion series. Well, not THAT hard to do with only Seaside and Intrigue preceding it, but still counts in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pole has no option for strong support against Alchemy, while having strong support for Dominion in general. This should exist before "Probably not, Alchemy just never did much for me.".

My answer:
"Absolutely not, Alchemy just never did much for me."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Pilotte
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see in Alchemy a kind of "Shelters" like those in Dark Ages (why not calling them "Spellbook cards"). 3 differents one, like Shelters. Each time you play with one (or more) card(s) from Alchemy, each player must remplace one if his starting Copper with one of the three Spellbooks (chose randomly, but the same one for each player).

Spellbooks could be an Action's subtype, and could be "one-shot": you trash it when you play it the first time.

An simple exemple: "When you play this, thrash it. If you do, +"potion",and gain a Copper, putting it on top of your deck". Or "... thrash this, and then choose one: gain a Potion card and put it at the bottom of your deck; or gain a Silver and a Curse.

Many ideas could be explored here. My idea behind this concept is to help acceleration in the very early turns when some cards from Alchemy are involved.

Anyway. Even without "Books", Alchemy needs more cards.

(Sorry for my very bad English)

Edit: some phrasing + I voted for the first option + Alchemy is the only expansion I don't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.