Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Where Trump Voters Come From rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As if people like you don't routinely treat Democrats with contempt.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Under a rock, just as I suspected.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So people who are sick of being treated with contempt chose Donald Trump as their spokesperson?

Yeah, I'm sure that will go well.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
So people who are sick of being treated with contempt chose Donald Trump as their spokesperson?

Yeah, I'm sure that will go well.


You are confusing contempt with aggressively not giving a fuck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

To paraphrase Bill, "It's the contempt, stupid."


Did you read the Larissa McFarquhar article? It tears down the percieved image of Trump voters fairly well.

But why read for yourself when you can let the american conservative tell you what to think.

The McGrath piece is a swing and a miss.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Drew1365 wrote:
Where Trump Voters Come From

Quote:
From the current issue of The New Yorker, a humor piece by Douglas McGrath called “The Pences Visit Manhattan”. Excerpt:

Quote:
Governor Mike Pence was having a romantic dinner with the love of his life, Mrs. Mike Pence, at the Red Lobster in Times Square. The Governor knew that as Vice-President he would have to attend foreign banquets, so he and Mrs. Pence were trying to broaden their palates. Luckily, they had already found a couple of dishes at the Red Lobster which they liked. Governor Pence was saying a blessing over their chicken wings and mozzarella cheese sticks when the first three notes of “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” chimed on his phone, signalling a text. As he read it, Mrs. Pence popped a sizzling cheese stick into her mouth and blew out little puffs of steam. “Look at me!” she said gaily. “I’m a steamboat!”

But the Governor didn’t laugh. Mrs. Pence took his hand and said, “What’s wrong, helpmeet?”

“I’ve been called to Trump Tower. It’s an emergency.”

From the same issue of the magazine, a reported piece by Larissa McFarquhar titled “In The Heart Of Trump Country,” about how West Virginia, which used to be heavily Democratic, became the most pro-Trump state in the Union:

Quote:
Like most West Virginians, Rick Abraham was angry with the President for hastening the decline of the coal industry with what he regarded as excessive environmental regulation. Like most Trump voters, he considered Obamacare a scourge, and since he selects insurance policies for Mine Lifeline’s forty-odd employees he could argue in detail that nearly everyone in his company was worse off than before.

And yet in other ways he is not the Appalachian Trump voter as many people elsewhere imagine him — ignorant, racist, appalled by the idea of a female President or a black President, suspicious and frightened of immigrants and Muslims, with a threatened job or no job at all, addicted to OxyContin. Those voters exist, but the political thinking of many others in Trump country is more ambivalent and complicated and non-inevitable than is apparent from signs hung on Main Street or carried at rallies. The perception that people in West Virginia are voting for Trump because they are racist or ignorant is significant, though, since it’s one of the reasons they’re voting for Trump in the first place. “When people talk about Trump, they talk about how they don’t like the establishment or the élites,” Charles Keeney, a history professor at Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College, in Logan County, says. “When they say that, they mean who they see on television — they envision people in New York City making fun of them and calling them stupid. Every time you leave the state, you get it—someone will say, Oh, you’re from West Virginia, do you date your cousin? Wow, you have shoes, wow you have teeth, are you sure you’re from West Virginia? So when they see that the media élite is driven out of their mind at the success of Donald Trump it makes them want to root for him. It’s like giving the middle finger to the rest of the country.”

Holy J.D. Vance, Batman. They really don’t get it, do they? Their contempt. They really do believe they’re punching up, when in fact they’re punching down.

If Trump wins this election, the only comfort I will take from the victory is knowing that Douglas McGrath and the editors who find that snotty condescension towards middle Americans funny will be wailing and gnashing their teeth.

To paraphrase Bill, "It's the contempt, stupid."

The basket of deplorables which constitute more than half of all Trump supporters deserve to be held in contempt because they include those (some 72%) who still believe that Barak Obama was not born in the USA and those (some 65%) who believe that Barak Obama is a Muslim. The greater majority of them are Tea Party followers and Teavangelical Republicans of the Religious Far Right (the greater majority of them being those who are or lean Dominionist). And we haven't yet got to that quite significant-sized contingent of Trump supporters who are anti-government militia membvers, neo-Confederates, white nationalists, avowed racists, and white supremacists.

So, you and the American Conservative magazine (from where that article of yours sprang) can have them.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Where Trump Voters Come From

Quote:
From the current issue of The New Yorker, a humor piece by Douglas McGrath called “The Pences Visit Manhattan”. Excerpt:

Quote:
Governor Mike Pence was having a romantic dinner with the love of his life, Mrs. Mike Pence, at the Red Lobster in Times Square. The Governor knew that as Vice-President he would have to attend foreign banquets, so he and Mrs. Pence were trying to broaden their palates. Luckily, they had already found a couple of dishes at the Red Lobster which they liked. Governor Pence was saying a blessing over their chicken wings and mozzarella cheese sticks when the first three notes of “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” chimed on his phone, signalling a text. As he read it, Mrs. Pence popped a sizzling cheese stick into her mouth and blew out little puffs of steam. “Look at me!” she said gaily. “I’m a steamboat!”

But the Governor didn’t laugh. Mrs. Pence took his hand and said, “What’s wrong, helpmeet?”

“I’ve been called to Trump Tower. It’s an emergency.”


From the same issue of the magazine, a reported piece by Larissa McFarquhar titled “In The Heart Of Trump Country,” about how West Virginia, which used to be heavily Democratic, became the most pro-Trump state in the Union:

Quote:
Like most West Virginians, Rick Abraham was angry with the President for hastening the decline of the coal industry with what he regarded as excessive environmental regulation. Like most Trump voters, he considered Obamacare a scourge, and since he selects insurance policies for Mine Lifeline’s forty-odd employees he could argue in detail that nearly everyone in his company was worse off than before.

And yet in other ways he is not the Appalachian Trump voter as many people elsewhere imagine him—ignorant, racist, appalled by the idea of a female President or a black President, suspicious and frightened of immigrants and Muslims, with a threatened job or no job at all, addicted to OxyContin. Those voters exist, but the political thinking of many others in Trump country is more ambivalent and complicated and non-inevitable than is apparent from signs hung on Main Street or carried at rallies. The perception that people in West Virginia are voting for Trump because they are racist or ignorant is significant, though, since it’s one of the reasons they’re voting for Trump in the first place. “When people talk about Trump, they talk about how they don’t like the establishment or the élites,” Charles Keeney, a history professor at Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College, in Logan County, says. “When they say that, they mean who they see on television—they envision people in New York City making fun of them and calling them stupid. Every time you leave the state, you get it—someone will say, Oh, you’re from West Virginia, do you date your cousin? Wow, you have shoes, wow you have teeth, are you sure you’re from West Virginia? So when they see that the media élite is driven out of their mind at the success of Donald Trump it makes them want to root for him. It’s like giving the middle finger to the rest of the country.”


Holy J.D. Vance, Batman. They really don’t get it, do they? Their contempt. They really do believe they’re punching up, when in fact they’re punching down.

If Trump wins this election, the only comfort I will take from the victory is knowing that Douglas McGrath and the editors who find that snotty condescension towards middle Americans funny will be wailing and gnashing their teeth.


To paraphrase Bill, "It's the contempt, stupid."




I value your right to vote for whomever you want, but if you vote for Trump I have the right to consider you an idiot.

And I do have contempt for idiots, so this article's conclusion is spot on.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Darth pinhead considers someone an idiot?

I hope they weren't scarred for life.

Other than that, I think the paraphrase originates with Carville. Not that it matters on RSP, but I like to see correct information offered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See? It's not because they're credulous reactionary morons; it's because the media was mean to them.

I always make incredibly stupid personal decisions when the people on the T.V. don't pander to me and suck my dick. It's just common sense.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If Hiliary wins - she is just going to roll all registered repubs up to the death panels and be done with it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
When you-all were before them "Death Panels", then don't forget too inform these that you're leaving 'moi' your 'stuff'!, K? thx!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
As if people like you don't routinely treat Democrats with contempt.


I'm not a member of the media anymore, but it's nice that you think of me as being highly influential.


It's not an issue of influence but of character and perception.

You castigate the "media", the "left", the "democrats", and so on, as expressing nothing but contempt for conservatives in general and Trumps supporters more specifically. You rather ignore the years and years of conservative political figures, pundits and media exercising precisely the same kind of contemptuous rhetoric towards the political left. It's a bit hypocritical.

As with so many things you generalize. There is certainly a kernel of truth in what you say as many in the press come from a left leaning political philosophy. However, there is no such thing as a monolithic press and even the slanted media organizations like Fox and MSNBC have some diversity among contributors.

It is very convenient for you to apply a great big label to the "media" so you can simply discount anything published entirely regardless of the amount of research and fact checking involved as a means of not needing to attempt a well reasoned rebuttal to stories you don't like. As with most professions, the media contains people who may massage the evidence for effect. It is not valid to discount all media endeavors based on such cases however. You sound like Slater who makes similar statements about businessmen being inherently unscrupulous.
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
If Hiliary wins - she is just going to roll all registered repubs up to the death panels and be done with it.


You misspelled Killary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
As if people like you don't routinely treat Democrats with contempt.


I'm not a member of the media anymore, but it's nice that you think of me as being highly influential.


It's not an issue of influence but of character and perception.

You castigate the "media", the "left", the "democrats", and so on, as expressing nothing but contempt for conservatives in general and Trumps supporters more specifically. You rather ignore the years and years of conservative political figures, pundits and media exercising precisely the same kind of contemptuous rhetoric towards the political left. It's a bit hypocritical.

As with so many things you generalize. There is certainly a kernel of truth in what you say as many in the press come from a left leaning political philosophy. However, there is no such thing as a monolithic press and even the slanted media organizations like Fox and MSNBC have some diversity among contributors.

It is very convenient for you to apply a great big label to the "media" so you can simply discount anything published entirely regardless of the amount of research and fact checking involved as a means of not needing to attempt a well reasoned rebuttal to stories you don't like. As with most professions, the media contains people who may massage the evidence for effect. It is not valid to discount all media endeavors based on such cases however. You sound like Slater who makes similar statements about businessmen being inherently unscrupulous.
No, I made it clear I was talking about multi millionaires, not all businessmen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
As if people like you don't routinely treat Democrats with contempt.


I'm not a member of the media anymore, but it's nice that you think of me as being highly influential.

Unfortunately there are millions of people just like you. Individually you have only a tiny effect. Taken all together, you turn the world into shit.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
People who insult, demean, and belittle their political opponents merely demonstrate the depth of their own ignorance and lack of maturity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
People who insult, demean, and belittle their political opponents merely demonstrate the depth of their own ignorance and lack of maturity.

That looks an awful lot like an insult to me...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you've made a pretty good case for The New Yorker being the pretentious rag that it is, but I'm not getting how we go from "The New Yorker is being an asshole again" to "therefore I will vote for Donald Trump."

I dunno, I'm a liberal who grew up in Indiana and has lived in San Diego and New York. While I think some people can be provincial when they think about everywhere that is not a coast, but that's never really impacted my politics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Pennsylvania the other weekend. I saw about 40 Trump signs around. I saw 0 Hillary signs.
Back home, the neighborhood registered rapist (you know where the police send those cards to your house stating a sex offender is living near you?) has a Hillary sign.
Pretty telling.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Diabolik771 wrote:
I went to Pennsylvania the other weekend. I saw about 40 Trump signs around. I saw 0 Hillary signs.
Back home, the neighborhood registered rapist (you know where the police send those cards to your house stating a sex offender is living near you?) has a Hillary sign.
Pretty telling.

Really? My wife the liberal put a Hillary sign on our lawn. I had no idea she was a registered sex offender. Thanks for the tip.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
sfox wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
People who insult, demean, and belittle their political opponents merely demonstrate the depth of their own ignorance and lack of maturity.

That looks an awful lot like an insult to me...

If the shoe fits...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
As if people like you don't routinely treat Democrats with contempt.


I'm not a member of the media anymore, but it's nice that you think of me as being highly influential.


It's not an issue of influence but of character and perception.

You castigate the "media", the "left", the "democrats", and so on, as expressing nothing but contempt for conservatives in general and Trumps supporters more specifically. You rather ignore the years and years of conservative political figures, pundits and media exercising precisely the same kind of contemptuous rhetoric towards the political left. It's a bit hypocritical.

As with so many things you generalize. There is certainly a kernel of truth in what you say as many in the press come from a left leaning political philosophy. However, there is no such thing as a monolithic press and even the slanted media organizations like Fox and MSNBC have some diversity among contributors.

It is very convenient for you to apply a great big label to the "media" so you can simply discount anything published entirely regardless of the amount of research and fact checking involved as a means of not needing to attempt a well reasoned rebuttal to stories you don't like. As with most professions, the media contains people who may massage the evidence for effect. It is not valid to discount all media endeavors based on such cases however. You sound like Slater who makes similar statements about businessmen being inherently unscrupulous.
No, I made it clear I was talking about multi millionaires, not all businessmen.


In my view you are moving the goal posts. However, even viewing your comments in this more constrained focus, it is still overly broad to consider all or even the vast majority of "multi millionaires" as unscrupulous. Of course you may well assume that anyone who actually has substantial assets is unscrupulous by default because they bothered to accumulate wealth in the first place but, that would betray your own bias rather than advancing your position.

There are lots of people in the US and around the world that have built up businesses or led businesses which have managed to accrue substantial wealth while maintaining a sense of personal ethics and civic responsibility.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
As if people like you don't routinely treat Democrats with contempt.


I'm not a member of the media anymore, but it's nice that you think of me as being highly influential.


It's not an issue of influence but of character and perception.

You castigate the "media", the "left", the "democrats", and so on, as expressing nothing but contempt for conservatives in general and Trumps supporters more specifically. You rather ignore the years and years of conservative political figures, pundits and media exercising precisely the same kind of contemptuous rhetoric towards the political left. It's a bit hypocritical.

As with so many things you generalize. There is certainly a kernel of truth in what you say as many in the press come from a left leaning political philosophy. However, there is no such thing as a monolithic press and even the slanted media organizations like Fox and MSNBC have some diversity among contributors.

It is very convenient for you to apply a great big label to the "media" so you can simply discount anything published entirely regardless of the amount of research and fact checking involved as a means of not needing to attempt a well reasoned rebuttal to stories you don't like. As with most professions, the media contains people who may massage the evidence for effect. It is not valid to discount all media endeavors based on such cases however. You sound like Slater who makes similar statements about businessmen being inherently unscrupulous.
No, I made it clear I was talking about multi millionaires, not all businessmen.


In my view you are moving the goal posts. However, even viewing your comments in this more constrained focus, it is still overly broad to consider all or even the vast majority of "multi millionaires" as unscrupulous. Of course you may well assume that anyone who actually has substantial assets is unscrupulous by default because they bothered to accumulate wealth in the first place but, that would betray your own bias rather than advancing your position.

There are lots of people in the US and around the world that have built up businesses or led businesses which have managed to accrue substantial wealth while maintaining a sense of personal ethics and civic responsibility.
That clarification was in my second response explaining what I meant (in a reply about Trump, who is a businessman).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
I went to Pennsylvania the other weekend. I saw about 40 Trump signs around. I saw 0 Hillary signs.
Back home, the neighborhood registered rapist (you know where the police send those cards to your house stating a sex offender is living near you?) has a Hillary sign.
Pretty telling.


Just this past weekend, a man with a Trump sign in his yard shot and killed his daughter. Pretty telling. Another guy with a Trump sign known in the neighborhood as Crazy Frank flies a Confederate Flag and a few years ago was jailed after baiting meat with razor blades killing his neighbor's dog and severely injured another. Also pretty telling.

Sure the old man was 92 and shouldn't have had a gun but he was still a Trump supporter. Crazy Frank? Well the name says it all. Hell, a few months ago Frank spray painted the murderer's driveway in big letters that spelled crook, apparently over $5.

The neighborhood is actually pretty darn quiet except for these damn Trump supporters!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
I went to Pennsylvania the other weekend. I saw about 40 Trump signs around. I saw 0 Hillary signs.
Back home, the neighborhood registered rapist (you know where the police send those cards to your house stating a sex offender is living near you?) has a Hillary sign.
Pretty telling.


Just this past weekend, a man with a Trump sign in his yard shot and killed his daughter. Pretty telling. Another guy with a Trump sign known in the neighborhood as Crazy Frank flies a Confederate Flag and a few years ago was jailed after baiting meat with razor blades killing his neighbor's dog and severely injured another. Also pretty telling.

Sure the old man was 92 and shouldn't have had a gun but he was still a Trump supporter. Crazy Frank? Well the name says it all. Hell, a few months ago Frank spray painted the murderer's driveway in big letters that spelled crook, apparently over $5.

The neighborhood is actually pretty darn quiet except for these damn Trump supporters!


There was a mid-level candidate for some Boston city office in the early 90s, with the middle knickname of whacko.... so his banner read something like James "Whacko" O'Malley.

He was proud of being called whacko. It was in every TV ad he ran.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.