J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of that idea, but it seems Kaine may no longer be either as that was in 2012 and differs from what he outlined in the last debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Hmmm. What do you think about this, Dems?

Quote:
What I would do on comprehensive immigration reform is this: I would require those who are here illegally to sort of raise their hand and come forward and say, 'we broke the law.' By admitting that you're breaking the law, you're going to have that as a criminal violation, as a legal violation, and you're going to have to pay a penalty and it's going to be a significant penalty that you will pay over a period of time. Whether it's a fine or an escalated tax rate, you're going to have to pay that. We would take that money that's being paid by those who have come here unlawfully, and we would use it to increase border security. ... I would take these fines and do even more border security.

Hey, something semi-intelligent from The Interrupter! Not a bad idea overall...needs some work. I'm sure Trump will ask him to expand on it at the first Wall Status Meeting in January.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Quote:
What I would do on comprehensive immigration reform is this: I would require those who are here illegally to sort of raise their hand and come forward and say, 'we broke the law.' By admitting that you're breaking the law, you're going to have that as a criminal violation, as a legal violation, and you're going to have to pay a penalty and it's going to be a significant penalty that you will pay over a period of time. Whether it's a fine or an escalated tax rate, you're going to have to pay that. We would take that money that's being paid by those who have come here unlawfully, and we would use it to increase border security. ... I would take these fines and do even more border security.

Hey, something semi-intelligent from The Interrupter! Not a bad idea overall...needs some work. I'm sure Trump will ask him to expand on it at the first Wall Status Meeting in January.

Ferret

Actually, that's not a good idea at all. I don't think very many illegal immigrants would raise their hand. Why would they? There's no incentive to doing so.

Illegal immigrant: So if I raise my hand I admit guilt, pay a hefty fine over many years and make it tougher for others in my old country to join me here in the United States??

That plan sounds as realistic as Trump building a wall costing billions of dollars and having Mexico pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Spain has a pretty nice mechanism that makes people that come in irregularly register themselves: Healthcare is tied to a residency card, which you can get without proving your immigration status.

You need a carrot for people to register.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Quote:

I like it in theory. In practice, there's no reason to register and every reason to continue breaking the law, so it sounds kind of like a waste of time.

I'd prefer we did things like require proof of residence for employment, but I'm sure that's fraught with issues as well.

Honestly I don't see how you can support greater government programs (entitlements if you'd prefer) and support lax immigration laws; these ideas are at direct odds. Ah well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
hibikir wrote:
Spain has a pretty nice mechanism that makes people that come in irregularly register themselves: Healthcare is tied to a residency card, which you can get without proving your immigration status.

You need a carrot for people to register.
These 'alter-natives' would "proffer" their 'stick' WERE it not already 'engaged being lodged along with their HEAD: "where the SUN won't shine neither, nor them!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issue with the idea of fines being levies and then those fines being used to tackle a type of crime.

Not sue it will work but I have no issue with the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. How do you feel about women being forced to give funerals for miscarriages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Hmmmm. How do you feel about women being forced to give funerals for miscarriages?

What?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

For those that believe life begins at conception, I assume they already do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

What?

We haven't even scratched the surface at what an unbelievable bastard Pence is. Signing that funeral bill is one of Pence's proudest moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

What?

We haven't even scratched the surface at what an unbelievable bastard Pence is. Signing that funeral bill is one of Pence's proudest moments.

Ahhh, as far as I can see that was not his intent (now I know what I am looking for) just an unforeseen consequence of a badly written law.

So my take on this is not what an unbelievable bastard Pence is but how utterly so driven by a desire to impose his will on people that he does not bother to think through what he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

What?

Ahhh, as far as I can see that was not his intent (now I know what I am looking for) just an unforeseen consequence of a badly written law.

So my take on this is not what an unbelievable bastard Pence is but how utterly so driven by a desire to impose his will on people that he does not bother to think through what he does.

Oh, you know he meant it exactly like that. He wants to impose his will and punish women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

What?

Oh, you know he meant it exactly like that. He wants to impose his will and punish women.
He wanted to outlaw all abortion, shity yes. I doubt very much he also intended this to affect women who had miscarriages, what he wanted was a law that had no loop holes.

Dangerously incompetent at the very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Pence is anything but incompetent. He is cold, calculating and breath-takingly evil.

Spend a bit more time digging into how Pence feels about women. You'll arrive at the conclusion that he wanted them to feel shame and be punished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Pence is anything but incompetent. He is cold, calculating and breath-takingly evil.

Spend a bit more time digging into how Pence feels about women. You'll arrive at the conclusion that he wanted them to feel shame and be punished.

Right, but I don't think he wants people to feel extra shame because of a miscarriage -- just an abortion.

He's rather evil, but he's not Skeletor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Terwox wrote:
Are you sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Are you sure?

My bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.