Subject: Travelling and the end of the Road Card in the D stack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played this for the second or third time tonight, after a hiatus of about a year or so, so I can't claim to be an expert about the game's balance.

However tonight I played it with some veteran gamers and one criticism was levelled at one aspect of the game, by one chap who I respect as a very knowledgeable Euro gamer.

It was this.

He felt aggrieved about very nearly drawing the "End of the road", card found in the Stack D travelling cards.

Fortunately for him,(he felt) he was able to swap out the card as he had taken the church card, that allowed him to put a travel card to the bottom of its stack and pick another.

However he said, had he not taken that church card, he felt it would have severely and randomly (despite his planning) stiffed him.

He said, he had built his strategy around travelling and had gathered resources, which would allow him to achieve getting to the stack E cards, which are obviously worth the most points.

He said you had to get to the E cards to make all that effort worth the investment in turns, so maximising your points otherwise it just wasn't worth going down the travelling path.

However he said, had he been stuck with the End of the Road card, all this effort would have been for nought, as he felt he would not have had chance to change strategy to elsewhere to recover.

I pointed out, he could have switched tactics to dumping his resources into the merchant cards but he pointed out, that at such a late stage in the game, it would have been difficult to acquire merchant cards that could be fulfilled in one action and it would take many actions to do that, since the other players who had been taking merchant cards throughout the game, would have left the market place in a pretty random state.

Does anyone else think this card is lame? or had he just over invested in a particular aspect of his game and put all his chickens in one basket so to speak and next time he played (and knows there is a possibility this card could screw with you) he maybe should have a contingency plan.

We discussed ignoring the cards stoppage effect and maybe house ruling, that it could be just being another copy of one of the other cards in stack D.

Any thoughts?

Apart from this, everyone thought it was a great game and I intend on playing it again this weekend with more casual gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the highest scoring D card. However, it does indeed hurt if you're planning to get to the E cards. I'd say if you're using travel as your main strategy, you need to plan on getting that church card anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me, but I see that as a balancing aspect of that strategy in the game. You do travel as the main point scoring, but you do it at the chance of not making it. Heck, it even works thematically, as you don't know what you'll encounter on the road of life, so to speak. Maybe tell that gamer to branch out more and stop trying to get all your points from one aspect of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
It is the highest scoring D card. However, it does indeed hurt if you're planning to get to the E cards. I'd say if you're using travel as your main strategy, you need to plan on getting that church card anyway.

Agreed. If traveling is going to be your primary strategy, you should have taken the appropriate church long ago -- this whole thing becomes a non-issue (as it did in your game). If you didn't get that church, you should have modified your strategy or simply be willing to accept a 25% chance (assuming you're the first one to travel that far, which you may not be if someone else is also traveling) of your plans being ruined: you'll have to get those 7 VP somewhere else. Anyway, it seems to me you can't put all your chickens in one basket; you have to pursue at least 2 main sources of VP to do well in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.