Hide
13 Posts

Risk» Forums » General

Subject: Main Problem Playing RISK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HK Tam
msg tools
Hi, What is the main problem you're facing when you playing RISK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Australia is auto-win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The outcome of the game has more to do with your dice rolls rather than your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The paradox of time travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Risk.

Moreso what Jerry mentioned, dice and luck play a larger than appreciated role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I haven't played Risk in about 15 years (and it was the LOTR Two Towers version, which infuriatingly didn't include MORDOR on the map!), but IIRC my issues were that it took too long for someone to win, the different units didn't actually have differences, and each turn took too long (unless I was playing incorrectly... it felt so off that I thought that could be the case, but this was before I really started using the internet so I had no one to consult). I was very disappointed because Risk was a game I had long wanted, back in the days when I felt silly for wanting to play boardgames, and I received it as a Christmas present... I really, really wanted to like it! It stayed in my closet until earlier this year when I finally traded it away.

One of the reasons I want the recently-released Risk Europe edition is that it seems to be all that was promised when I used to see the ads for the original Risk--what I hoped it would be. I may end up horribly disappointed again, but at least this time I have lots of other games to fall back on meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ukraine is weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the randomness of the rolls hits on the main issue. The only real game to play is the meta game of alliances and there are other games that handle that far better and in less time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Granted I've only played RISK Legacy recently, but the main problem I have while playing is the other players are actually trying to win too and don't just roll over and let me capture their HQs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Like Monopoly, the biggest problem is players who don't know how to play properly. Even a single poor player at the table can have a major effect on the game.

With a full table of skilled players, the game moves quickly and, while still luck-dependent, is generally decided by tactical analysis. A poor player disrupts that, generally extending the game and making Luck a much stronger deciding factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeck86 wrote:
Australia is auto-win.
I've had far better success over the years taking and holding South America than Australia.

Pete (finds that the "Australia bunker" is too easy for opponents to contain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering the original poster's question, the biggest "problem" with playing risk is the time consuming dice rolls. Just having the option to "autocalc" a battle can shave a ton of time off the game.

Pete (prefers to play it online)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
I think the randomness of the rolls hits on the main issue. The only real game to play is the meta game of alliances and there are other games that handle that far better and in less time.
In an average game of Risk, you're rolling hundreds of dice. The luck works out.

Pete (thinks the biggest problem is that you're rolling hundreds of dice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.