Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused about the different box front of Star Fleet Battles Designer's Edition. In the description, it says:

Quote:
There were two editions of the Designer's Edition. The second edition had a different box cover (the same cover art as Star Fleet Battles Commander's Edition Volume I) and a larger sized rulebook.

From the gallery, there are two box fronts as follows:

If the one on the right is the second edition of the Designer's Edition, this is the edition I own.

However, the Star Fleet Battles Commander's Edition Volume I looks like this:

My question is, are there three editions of the Designer's Edition?

Are they different with each other with just a different front cover?

Why is it called "Designer's Edition" when it doesn't have the words on the front cover?

Are they different because they are different printing by Task Force Games? Why does TFG do this with different front cover?

Mysteries unrevealed.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The top left picture was used on the (bagged) pocket edition of the game and the original printing of the (boxed) designer's edition.

The top right picture was a later version of the designer's edition.

The designer's edition reprinted and revised the material in the pocket edition and added a lot of new ships and rules.

The bottom picture was from the Commander's edition. This was a complete rewrite of the game. Volume One was followed by two more volumes and a couple of supplements.

The latest version of the game is the Captain's edition. This began with the Basic Set then Advanced Missions and a host of modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd!

It's strange that they didn't label them as such on the front cover with the respective name of the editions.

Commander's edition is the one that completely rewrites the game? So is it the watershed that changes the system from plotting and alternating to sequential movement based on impulses?

Is there a huge difference between Captain and Commander editions? Why there is a need for the change of the edition? The name Captain seems to suggest it is a "downgrade" version from the Commander in terms of system complexity.

For the Star Fleet Battles Silver Anniversary Master Rulebook in 2004, which edition is it based on? Captain edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer's edition was named that in hindsight. Commander's is the first edition to have that name while still current.

Captain is the next (navy) rank after Commander, so it's the name of next edition after Commander.

Captain's Edition originally came out in 1990, so yes, the Master Rulebook is from Captain's.

For more info, see:
Wikipedia: Star Fleet Battles
Star Fleet Battles series
SFB Captain’s Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James! Well, I come to the pages you mentioned before but was confused even more, especially the "Volume I" on the Commander's edition without the name of that. What Todd says really helps and clarifies. I was in a panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also want to add that the Commanders Edition (Volume 1) originally had the same front box cover as the Desgner's Edition but different box backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.