Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone! It has been a long time coming, but it appears that we are now just a week away from closing on the sale of our house and our subsequent move to the Portland, OR area.

We are hiring a professional moving company to do some of the packing and the actual move itself. Naturally, I'd like my boardgames to arrive out West in good shape.

I've packed many games to ship via USPS. Do I need to go to that level in packing my collection? In other words, does every game need to be bubblewrapped? My collection is much smaller than it once was, but this process would take quite a lot of time even at its current size.

I have only had to move my games once and that was done by the carload as it was a local move. I'm hoping some of you with experience in this might provide some advice.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have 117 games. That should be super easy to bubble wrap and protect/pack up. When we moved I packed up our library at that time of 135 and it didn't take long at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely DO NOT let your movers pack your games! They will try to jam as much into a box as possible, most likely crushing your game boxes.

Speaking from expereince here . . . had several of my old AH classics damaged in the corners due to the movers trying to maximize contents in moving boxes and minimize number of boxes and packing donnage used.

Best of luck in your move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have to look at each game to see how heavy it is. The stones in Bazaar are very heavy, which could make them damage the inside of the Bazaar box, and it might damage other games in the same carton. Don't assume the carton will stay upright.

Boxes with a lot of air in them or with flimsy inserts could also be a problem. I have one game, which you don't own, that has a lot of moderately heavy bits and almost a tissue paper insert. The insert has gotten damaged just in normal transportation to gaming. Then a few games have very flimsy boxes.

Movers sometimes use plastic wrap, usually on a much bigger roll than is common for kitchens. Wrapping the box won't take much time, but it'll reinforce the box and add a slight amount of padding. You can also bunch up some wrap to fill empty spots in or between boxes.

I would bubble wrap the inside of the carton, to absorb shocks, slight crushes, and slight punctures. Besides, think of the fun of popping it. Or you could use plastic peanuts, but they're a lot less fun.

I would not use USPS. I'd use UPS or FedEx. I can't recall ever seeing an online retailer use USPS, usually it's UPS Ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pack about 1/2 of your collection including Space Hulk and take my chances with the movers on the stuff I don't care so much about. Yeah, they'll probably stack smaller boxes on top of larger boxes leading to some dishing of the box cover.

Welcome to Portland. It's a great place to be a gamer. Be sure to join the Portland Guild so that you have better insight as to what's going on in the community.

Portland, OR, USA

And the Gamestorm Game Convention starting March 30, 2017 will have about 800 local gamers. (www.gamestorm.org).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since movers usually charge extra for the packing material, yours would probably be delighted to bubble wrap each box. If you explain to them what condition you expect the games to be in when they arrive at their destination, they will probably have suggestions about what is necessary and/or sufficient. If they are truly professionals they will be happy to provide sound advice.

Personally, I have always just packed my game boxes snugly inside large moving boxes, but then I have always moved the boxes myself in my car or a rented truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated. I subscribed to the Portland guild awhile back, so I'll be keeping up on the happenings.

*Quick edit: the comment about 117 games got me thinking, so I checked the status of my posted collection here. Actually ended up removing 18! But I am WAY behind in adding games to this. Also misleading is the fact that I have all the expansions for some, like the FFG Talisman. And I have multiple versions of the same game such as every version of Omen:Reign of War.

So my post will hopefully motivate me to update my list...at some future date...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.